Clearing the pulltabs

BaldAssCat

Elite Member
I have a ball field near me that I hit when I don't have a lot of time. It's been hunted before by someone who was cherry picking quarters and there are still good targets. I'll post my latest find from there a little later.

There are also pulltabs on every swing. :mad:

I've been picking through them and grabbing a bunch every time I go but there are so many it's hard to pinpoint them and I don't want to have holes every 3 inches. I've tried pulling one and skipping a few then pull another but I end up digging next to the holes I dug a few weeks ago and make a mess of it.

Have any of you tried cleaning a spot that was this bad? Any advice? Am I wasting my time cleaning? Should I just cherry pick too?

Tabs

I filter them out with the Etrac program and or use a smaller coil, to avoid digging them. Otherwise I’ll leave them for Lance the detectorist, he collects them to sell on eBay.

Use a dull rounded screwdriver to pop the shallow targets out. No need to go digging plugs if you don’t need to. Locate the target, use your pinpointer to find it, and pry it out with the screwdriver. Easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My beaches went from having trash containers everywhere to a "carry in, carry out" policy, which to most people meant "bury in the sand". So the majority of my digging is cans, bottle caps and pull tabs. I've literally dug out an entire 24 pack of Coors Light in a 15x15 area :mad::mad: Some people suck.

On the plus side I leave them in piles for the guys who look for recyclables to turn them in for cash.

I try my best to leave the pull tabs where they are. The only tabs I dig is because I was fooled. I never understood why people want to remove a tab from a can just to throw it on the ground. I can understand the old beavertails but a person has to work at removing the tab from a can. That is why metal detectorists should be allowed to detect parks. We remove a lot of the trash all for a little pocket change.

.....There are also pulltabs on every swing. :mad: ....

If gold rings were my agenda, that would be the LAST place I would be hunting. I would simply go to a place where gold rings have much better demographics and less junk ratio : Swim beaches.

Along with others' suggestions, i have a couple of sites like this and i rotate through them. Often pull "every 10th" iffy signal, or skip them if the ground is already disturbed. And i try to do this when the ground is wetter due to recent rain so the dirt settles sooner and it's easier to pull items without making a mess of dry dirt clods or dust that kills off the grass. Good luck!

It's a tricky one, there *should* be good stuff there but that many pull tabs is a right pain. I'd probably get fed up and try somewhere else.

My beaches went from having trash containers everywhere to a "carry in, carry out" policy, which to most people meant "bury in the sand". So the majority of my digging is cans, bottle caps and pull tabs. I've literally dug out an entire 24 pack of Coors Light in a 15x15 area :mad::mad: Some people suck.

On the plus side I leave them in piles for the guys who look for recyclables to turn them in for cash.

Too bad those Coors Light cans weren't still full. I always find full cans buried just below at my beach.

I have found gold rings in parks which rang up as pulltabs, but I dug quite a few tabs to find those. I hunted a park yesterday which was unbelievably trashy, for every swing you'd get about 15 targets (that's on all metal mode), so I just pick the higher and shallower, more repetitive targets. There's defiantly at least one or two gold rings in that park, it's just a matter of picking the correct targets. I try to dig everything, but I get bored of that really quickly.

What's more frustrating for me is some of the old picnic areas that are littered with very old bottle caps that ring up as dimes or quarters. Lots of them I can tell what they are but if they are smashed completely flat and really old, they sound just like quarters....

Any place that I hunt regularly, I dig pull tabs just to clear up junk. I usually get tired after a while but slow and steady wins the race.

BCD

I have found gold rings in parks which rang up as pulltabs, but I dug quite a few tabs to find those. I hunted a park yesterday which was unbelievably trashy, for every swing you'd get about 15 targets (that's on all metal mode), so I just pick the higher and shallower, more repetitive targets. There's defiantly at least one or two gold rings in that park, it's just a matter of picking the correct targets. I try to dig everything, but I get bored of that really quickly.

I agree I can get bored very quickly with the picnic areas and pull tabs

On the Florida Treasure coast one of the shipwreck sites is near Sebastian Inlet where all the sport fishermen run their boats. You fight the aluminum trash to find the silver reales.

You gotta do what you gotta do.

At age 72 I try to avoid digging pulltab signals in order to save wear and tear on my knees. Maybe I'll miss a ring or two but what I don't know won't hurt. I'd rather miss a ring than dig 2000 pulltabs to find a ring.

At the beach or in the water I dig tabs all day long. I have found quite a few rings that rang up as tabs. Grassy park areas I pretty much bypass them. Like Diggin4clad said, saves the knees.;)

Back
Top Bottom