My Old Eyes...

I bought a few magnifying lenses from Hobby Lobby (they always have a 40% off coupon that I pull up on my phone each time). My eyes are fine for the dates but I just like to be able to see the tiny details. I paid 7 bucks for my last 16x loupe from them.

Great ideas here. I have to use cheaters to see up close. Normally use like 1.75 & I can read with them. A coin dug up with date barely visible & my cheaters don’t work. So I invested in a spare set of cheaters. These are more like 3.5-4.0. I can read the dates now but would give me a headache if I spent much time reading with them at this magnification.

I use a magnifying App on my Android smart phone . It works surprisingly well , you can even snap a picture using the App , and its free .

Could be worse , I am starting to use my detector as a probe 😳. People think I'm metal detecting everywhere I go now but it's better then walking into trees or traffic .... or someone's shopping cart at the grocery store 👍

My new NOX 900 tells me the date and mintage of coins down there in the ground! I can then decide whether to dig them or not! It also has that "Automask" feature! If I dont feel like digging, I push a little button, and out of the lower shaft a crown cap is ejected right on top of the target! Its amazing! :laughing:

I know what you mean. Worst part for me is when I’m recording a live dig for YouTube. Out pops a nice silver dime and I’m like “it’s a ummmm ... hold on a second... it’s a 19.... uh....well it’s a damn silver dime but I have no clue what the date is”.. :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relax, you are not alone, everyone does that! I always laugh when plugmaster ford tells you the date is 1942 when the camera is focused crystal clear on 1945! :lol:

My new NOX 900 tells me the date and mintage of coins down there in the ground! I can then decide whether to dig them or not! It also has that "Automask" feature! If I dont feel like digging, I push a little button, and out of the lower shaft a crown cap is ejected right on top of the target! Its amazing! :laughing:

Hey Mud, Just got my Equinox... Where do I enable that feature? :laughing:

I always laugh when plugmaster ford tells you the date is 1942 when the camera is focused crystal clear on 1945! :lol:

Hah! I've done the same thing. Looks like a blurry mess to my eyes as I try to read the date, but when I get home and watch the footage its crystal clear and I wasn't even close. Nice to know that I'm not the only one. :lol:

How in gods name does everyone read the dates on coins you pull up? I have a giant magnifying glass and struggle to make out date on a dime. Am I missing a super diggers secret on how to see these? Cheaters just aren’t cutting it.

I can NEVER seem to read the dates.. I use a Dremmel with a little green scouring pad on it and rub off the !!!! on the date, look at it with a little magnifying glass and throw it in a jar.. I never find anything but clad anyways so not afraid of ruining it and in actuality when I really clean it up it looks pretty dang good !!

I have an 11 year old with good eyes who like to know when my old coins are born. Anything not clad I had to him and he tells me it's birth year.

I have one of those cheap USB microscope things and it works surprisingly well. Also works on bugs, leaves, etc that my Daughter wants to have a look at!

How in gods name does everyone read the dates on coins you pull up? I have a giant magnifying glass and struggle to make out date on a dime. Am I missing a super diggers secret on how to see these? Cheaters just aren’t cutting it.

When was the last time you had your eyes checked and got a new pair of Glasses?

I carry a cheap loupe in my pocket and can read the dates on the majority of coins i find. Of course there are some that are so badly deteriorated that one can never find a date.

Back
Top Bottom