• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 $111.97 at Radio Shack

Au Digger

Radio Shack has the Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 on clearance for $111.97. The regular price is $299.99.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104700

It's not available online, so enter your zip code to see if it is available near you. Currently, store availability seems to be good. It is available at all 10 stores near me.

I've never used this metal detector or any Bounty Hunter, so I can't say if it's a good detector. The Radio Shack page says it has manual ground balance, which is something I really wish my Ace 250 had.

Radio Shack has other detectors on sale as well.

http://www.radioshack.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2032397&cp=2032062

Good luck!

The 3300 was my first machine. Has good tone I.D. and is light. But only gets a couple of inches of good depth.And is built cheaply.
Dont want to be a wet blanket . But maybe consider taking that money and putting it toward a more solid machine from a major M.D. manufacturer.
Good Luck

Jim

jim you had a bad one or something . mine gets up to 10 inches on a quarter in airtests and I've found really small stuff in the field at 7-8 inches. upper and lower stems are built a little cheaply they need the locking collar that you have to buy separate. I'm going to buy two more. they have incredibly accurate no-motion pinpointing , three digit target id 0- 200 , 4 tone audio target id really and good discrimination. anyway they are great detectors. i think bountyhunter has decided to stop selling them at radioshack because they are so popular . if anyone is a little curious search for some reviews and go check one out.

Radio Shack (I have heard) may be going out of business and are blowing out a lot of items and closing stores near here. Air tests are generally inconclusive when it comes to depth and performance of any detector. I have to debate the fact that this detector will find "small stuff" at 7 to 8"also. What kind of small stuff ?
Also , the unfortunate reality to these detectors and those like them is that the quality is low and they have many problems. This has been my experience over the years with that product line. You have to remember that when anything is mass produced the quality is lower because the buyers demand a bigger discount when buying in bulk.
Bounty Hunter is now trying to change that with the Teknetics T2. They finally have a good engineer on board and things should improve. I feel thatthey reinstituted the Teknetics name to distance that line from the cheaper Bounty Hunters.

Thanks for the post! I was deciding between the ACE 250 and the Discovery 3300. I have been reading reviews everywhere on both machines. BUT for $120.00 - you can't beat the value! I had an old cheap Bounty Hunter that I had bought to detect underground lines at my house about 10 years ago. It was sitting around in storage until I decided recently to "play" with it. After practicing in my yard, I finally took it to a beach to use it and I found $2.38 and a small costume jewelry "peace" pendant. A couple of weeks later I took it out again with similar success. Now that I know that I like MDing I am going to go out and buy a better machine. I will be going to pick up the 3300 today!

I have a tracker IV and I don't know about how solid it is, but its been reliable, a water proof coil, as long as you don't break the seal, and have found some good things with it, for 111.00 I can't see you going wrong. If you feel you need a better machine, your in a position to upgrade, to something in the higher caliber line, smg

Actually there is more value in the Ace250. It can be used more places with better results. If price is the only factor then go for the cheaper detector but don't think that its a better value or will do better overall.

well, i went out and bought another piece of trash bountyhunter( am i allowed to mention that insignificant fly by night company ?)discovery 3300 sold by radioshack. i really like to buy junk that does not work and falls apart. firsttexas makes the bountyhunter line as well as the technetics t2. which makes them ok but only because after many, many years of building detectors they finally hired a engineer. before now they just had trained monkeys. and no quality control. they are a large company and everybody knows that all large companys only produce junk. i will also be taking classes on how to measure the depth of a hole( numbers are hard folks) to some people small stuff that they find would be the back of an earring, the metal part that a pencil eraser fits in, or maybe the caseing of a 22 cal bullet.  to me i guess small stuff would be something like a fullsize vw bug burried 7 or 8 inches.  :roll: :roll:        this has been a ridiculous response to some truly brand bashing , brand bias comments.

I'm sorry, but I have to voice my opinion on this one. I have a discovery 3300 from radioshack, and I also have an Ace 250. Both are very capable detectors. If I had to choose between the two, I would have to say I would keep the 3300. I am a big fan of the VDI and the 4 tones of the 3300. The bell tone of the ace drives me up a wall and it only has 3 tones. I still use and like using the ace, but only with the volume turned way down on the head phones. I have found great finds with both machines. To Tony...... the 3300 will find things deep, I found a 1903 barber quarter at 8", It was a solid tone and was a stable 118-120 on the VDI, and it was on edge. Same goes with the ace, my 1780 half reale was a very solid hit and was about 7" if my memory serves me. I do not really appriciate the bounty hunter bashing, especially from someone who sells them. You should not sell something that you do not believe in.

:lol:tony we use what we sell :lol:i swing a bounty hunter it is a 3300 that i purchased last year and i have found many great things with it and depth is great on this detector i pulled a 1876 large cent at a depth of 9 iinches yes niine inches i have yet to be dissapointed with this brand dont get me wrong there are other brands i would like try but the 3300 serves it purpose the only thing i could say bad about is well nothing yet it is a coin shooting relic machine to me and i have found lots hh aka outback

?.SOAP BOX ALERT?.

Since January 6 of this year, the day I first held a detector in my hands, I have found 3,682 coins, 12 pieces of silver jewelry, bunches of interesting odds and ends, and joy in the hunt.

I did this with a Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker, which is a two tone machine with no display and limited discrimination. It?s been a durable unit that I?ve had out in snow and rain with nothing but a shower cap over it. It?s been a great turn on and hunt machine.

I purchased a BH Discovery 3300 after work today, read the reviews and the manual online last night, and hit a park I?ve been to several times. I like it; I really, really like it. The chips were full of ankle biters, so I worked the grass. Pulled twenty memmies, four quarters, a nickel and three dimes, one of which was a ?47 Rosie.

Silver the first time out. I?ll take that as a good omen. I?m looking for good times and good finds as I learn this machine.

This is a heck of a machine for $111.

I bought a 3300 today and tried it out. Found 2 quarters, 5 memorials, 1 wheaty, hot wheels car, cow bell, and a copper buckel. I dont have all the expierence in the world but it seemed to work good for me and the pinpointing was great. $112 is a steal! If you want to go out and spend $800 on a machine you are more than welcome. I cant justify it. Maybe in a year or so when i fill the bed of my truck up with change from this $112 machine then ill get something better.

maybe your metal detector was built on a friday or a monday, I LOVE MY 3300

TonyinCT said:
Radio Shack (I have heard) may be going out of business and are blowing out a lot of items and closing stores near here. Air tests are generally inconclusive when it comes to depth and performance of any detector. I have to debate the fact that this detector will find "small stuff" at 7 to 8"also. What kind of small stuff ?
Also , the unfortunate reality to these detectors and those like them is that the quality is low and they have many problems. This has been my experience over the years with that product line. You have to remember that when anything is mass produced the quality is lower because the buyers demand a bigger discount when buying in bulk.
Bounty Hunter is now trying to change that with the Teknetics T2. They finally have a good engineer on board and things should improve. I feel thatthey reinstituted the Teknetics name to distance that line from the cheaper Bounty Hunters.

Radio Shack isn't going out of business in the immediate future. They are closing around 700 stores, which is only about 10% of their stores.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/060217/1230622.html?.v=2

Sometimes I wonder how they ever stay in business though. I usually only set foot in a Radio Shack if I need an electronic component and don't have time to order it or if they put something I want on sale for a small fraction of their normal, inflated price.

Thanks to all of you for the support on the Discovery and solidifying my decision. I picked mine up yesterday but did not have a chance to use it.  I'll have to wait until the weekend.  Congrats to all of you that picked it up and had nice successes yesterday!  Interesting note:  The Radio Shack salesman told me that he doesn't like to sell metal detectors because they get returned too often.  Too many people buying them for one time use (maybe to find a ring), or just not learning them correctly and getting frustrated.  In any case, I picked up the very last 3300 at the Radio Shack near my job!  I really think, in my limited experience, that the more important factors to be considered in MDing are learning your equipment, right place at the right time, and just doing it.  All of these I would say come before the the type of metal detector that you may have.

First of all I am not brand bashing. I do use what I sell as well as other detectors I don't sell and test them also. I have many customers who also give me their opinions on the detectors they have bought whether its from me or someone else.This is what I base my opinion on. If you can have fun with your detector that's what its all about. Occasionally I'm sure you will find a coin the size of a quarter at a depth that is quite good. Small stuff like ear ring backs at 8" would not be found by these detectors or just about any other detector on the market . The detector cannot lock onto it very well. Unless you are running in all metal most detectors of this type cannot get a great deal of depth. Bounty Hunter has not developed anything significant in many years and yes they finally do have an engineer capable of developing something worthwhile. The T2 was named for Teknetics to distance it from the other detectors. Also , I carry BOUNTY HUNTERS not Discovery. Even though they are made by First Texas they are different detectors. Any Bounty Hunter I sell comes with the warning that you are not getting a detector that is of the same quality as other brands but the price is right for many people.  I'm sorry if any one was offended by my comments but it was only intended to let everyone know that when you buy a detector at the low end that's what you're getting. If its all you've used I can understand your opinion. These are only my opinions ; everyone has to decide for themselves what to buy. :yes:

In seeking wisdom thou art wise; in imagining that thou hast attained it -- thou art a fool.  :wow:         

Back
Top Bottom