I finally have something to send to ARA ... would love advice on HOW.

Pilikia

I can't bear to part with my first ever gold find (14K white gold men's band)
But I recently found this little beauty.
Crusty as all hell... but not as bad as some of Tilton's stuff!

Should I even bother cleaning it if I'm going to melt it?
I took it to a jeweler because it has no makers mark. Its 22K!!! 7 grams of it.:D

I've never sent anything to ARA before so I thought I'd do a test run with this little beauty.

Any advice on being a first time ARA customer is much appreciated.

I read on another post that there is a refinery here in Hawaii... Anyone have any info on that?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 959
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 956
I don't think the jeweler wanted to break your heart... but I will... :lol: definitely looks plated. :(

Only low karat gold will start to tarnish, I can't imagine 22k ever looking like that.

Unless it's that weird algae !!!! that Tilton gets on the gold in his area.

I haven't used ARA yet, but my only advice would be to not use a tiny box, easier to lose/steal. I plan to use a shoe box mostly filled with packing material.

Last edited:
I don't think the jeweler wanted to break your heart... but I will... :lol: definitely plated. :(

Only low karat gold will start to tarnish, I can't imagine 22k ever looking like that.

Probably is just some type if barnacle that is stuck to it… Congrats!

I don't think the jeweler wanted to break your heart... but I will... :lol: definitely looks plated. :(

I haven't used ARA yet, but my only advice would be to not use a tiny box, easier to lose/steal. I plan to use a shoe box mostly filled with packing material.

I appreciate your candid comments... truly I like to have it told to me straight.

The Jewler is a family friend. He poo poo'd several of the other stuff I brought in... junk junk junk. But not this one.

The ring was stuck in coral (probably for a long long time), much like where Tilton describes where he hunts. Definitely not plated. Its Chinese gold so its super yellow and fake-looking but definitely the real thing. Its very small and very heavy.

I appreciate your candid comments... truly I like to have it told to me straight.

The Jewler is a family friend. He poo poo'd several of the other stuff I brought in... junk junk junk. But not this one.

The ring was stuck in coral (probably for a long long time), much like where Tilton describes where he hunts. Definitely not plated. Its Chinese gold so its super yellow and fake-looking but definitely the real thing. Its very small and very heavy.

Nice! Sorry for the doubts. :D

Congrats on the 22k!

Crumble, no worries.
I thought it was fake when I first pulled it out too. Crusty, super yellow, no marking (actually, it DOES have a marking but I think its chinese characters)

Great Posting....

Send it to me! I only hunt ghetto beaches. If ANYONE knows plated, it's me! :laughing:

R5

All you need to do is go to ARA's website:

http://aragold.com/img/shipping-form.pdf

Print out this form. Use your SSAN as the tax id number.

Weigh your finds and let them do the rest. Give them a good address and phone number. I put mine in a flat rate box and pay the 5.00 and some change for 2 day shipping with tracking number. I never insure it.

Never had a problem. if you have any more specific questions please contact me.

7 grams of 22K = 259.00 and they will take 2.59 cents from you approx.

http://dendritics.com/metal-calc/

I send everything to ara and you don't need to send them any info except name address and phone #. Write a note in the package you send saying you are a metal detectorist.
I send my gold in a plastic baggy and than in a bubble cushioned envelope sealed with tape along with its seal. Don't mention jewelry or gold on the outside package.
I have sent gold in a small box but it costs more.
I have sent u.p.s. but prefer regular mail(for low cost).

I send everything to ara and you don't need to send them any info except name address and phone #. Write a note in the package you send saying you are a metal detectorist.
I send my gold in a plastic baggy and than in a bubble cushioned envelope sealed with tape along with its seal. Don't mention jewelry or gold on the outside package.
I have sent gold in a small box but it costs more.
I have sent u.p.s. but prefer regular mail(for low cost).
Not to say you are wrong but when was the last time you sent ARA melt? The requirement on all refineries and gold buyers is the same now and it has changed from the past. You have to provide your information including drivers license and either a business license or SSN for them to do business. Even pawn shops and gold buyers require more because of the regulations. You can't sell a gold ring without giving your drivers license information, your phone, email and tax ID number. If you send it as you state then you did business with them before the new laws. This way they already knew you as a current customer. New customers can't do as you state. They will reject it. They also require you fill out the form available on their website under the "shipping" link. It is a PDF file and is easy to fill out.

Congrats on the high gold content ring! Would love for me to find something higher than 14k? When we going hunting together? Haha.

That definintely looks old and handmade...

Awesome job! I think the color on the ring is the reflection of his shirt when taking the pic... Congrats on the gold!

Don't Use Envelopes to ship small items!

Having retired from the PO after 37 years, and all the experience that goes with it the ONE THING I WOULD NEVER DO is put a small hard item of any size, like a ring, in any kind of envelope. Flat sizedor letter sized, they WILL be processed on machines and that little bulge WILL tend to snag, which causes the envelope to tear seperating the item from its packaging.

There are some thicker padded envelopes many people use, but even still just from my own experience I know when I want to mail something of any value I will use a small box or package of some kind. Depending on the value, I would also register it (not to be confused with certified mail) because if the value is high, registered mail is under lock and key and signed for everytime it changes hands from one employee to the next at each stage of its travel through the Postal system.

You might get lucky using an envelope but I wouldn't risk my gold on it! Also a bulge in a letter sized envelope can cause it to be non-mailable.

Just my recommendation is all, I would hate for anyone to loose their gold and chances of getting it back are slim to none. At one time I worked in the area that all these torn packages with their contents lost, and loose items no longer with their packaging are sent to try to reunite content with package if at all possible and unless there is name and contact information actually ON or with the item its impossible.

So there is another good thing to do, include your name and contact info on a small business card or paper and tape it or wrap it in with the item in bubble wrap and you will get it back. Sorry for soap boxing, I've just seen too many lost items over the years! Don't lose yours.

Thanks for the info on selling gold!

I should have posted this 1st but thanks for posting all of this info about how to sell our gold! Its very helpful and I have a little I'll want to sell before too long, now I know how to go about it!

gold ring

not many refiners want to mess with just one ring. save it till you get more or sell it to your friend

I'm curious why you take the chance of loss/theft by mailing your gold? why not just sell it outright to a jeweler locally? I don't know your local laws but my recent finds were worth some nice dollars at the jewelry store:D

That's a sweet looking gold band...A good melter....specially at 22k..

Back
Top Bottom