At my whits end...next step???

Chad

Elite Member
Several weeks ago I purchased a used AT Pro on here in the classified section for $400. Deal was made on Saturday, 1/5/13. I mailed out a postal money order (as per the sellers request) that very next Monday, 1/7/13. Money order was delivered and signed for that Wednesday1/9/13. I expected him to mail out the AT Pro along with a tracking number the following day, as he promised. I got several excuses at days went by explaining why the detector was not sent out. Several days later, I got an email from him telling me he had finally sent it out and he was sorry for the delay. I was fine with everything because he was at least communicating with me on a daily basis. On 1/15/13 I received a package in the mail from him, opened it up and it's a SunRay inline probe. :mad: I emailed him right away telling him that's not what I purchased from him. He apologized profusely, telling me his wife made the error and he sent my ATP to the guy that purchased his probe and vise-versa. He contacted the other guy, who agreed to return the ATP. He told me he received it in the mail on 1/18/13 and would overnight it to me later in the day and he would email me a tracking number in a little while. Well, "a little while" came and went, didn't hear anything. I emailed him Sunday asking if he ever got it mailed out and he told me no. He will send it out first thing Monday morning which would be 1/21/13. Tuesday, 1/22/13 asking me "I assume all is well? I didn't hear from you so I assume you got the tracking number? It's only showing that it was picked up in Tampa, FL. I will call the post office now". I replied right away saying no, I never got anything. No tracking number, no package. I have no clue what you are talking about. This was our last communication. A few days later he posts on here about a horrible tragedy that happened in his family, which I can certainly understand and have all the sympathy in the world, but I still need either what I purchased, or my $400 back.

I guess my question is, what is the next step? We are now 13 days from our last communication, and tomorrow reaches the ONE MONTH mark from date that the deal was made. I have all the receipts from the money order, and the certified mail. I've made several attempts via PMs on here as well as sending a letter VIA snail mail with no success. I still have the SunRay probe he sent me for an Etrac. He told me he was going to include a money order for me to ship the probe back so I would not have any out of pocket expense of my own.

Should I just suck it up and eat the $400? Sell the probe to recover some of the money? I already have the same probe so its of no use to me. Give it more time and see if he contacts me? Help!! I'm super frusturated at this point. :mad:

File a claim with USPS for Postal Fraud

I had a similar situation, paid for something from someone I THOUGHT I KNEW. He cashed the check and moved to a different city. He never shipped the item to me. I went through the whole process, took 7 months (they had to FIND HIM first) but I got my money back and he went to jail. The system does work. Maybe this will help...

Good Luck

Thanks Robby...I know he is going thru some personal stuff right now, so maybe I will give it another week or so. I hate to slam something like that on someone but ughhhh enuff is enuff.

Thanks for the link, something tells me that is going to come in handy.

Thanks Robby...I know he is going thru some personal stuff right now, so maybe I will give it another week or so. I hate to slam something like that on someone but ughhhh enuff is enuff.

Thanks for the link, something tells me that is going to come in handy.

If he's a member, maybe Carol or Vlad have a phone number they can call and tell him to call you?? What about sending a registered letter...

Hope you either get the ATP or your $ back,...that really suck's.Wonder if he/she is trying to sell the detector on any other mding forum's?Let's just hope your dealing with an honest person.

Yikes

This is a real rarity on this forum.
Luckily I have had only positive transactions and I only remember seeing 1 or 2 others who did not get what they had coming.
Maybe to protect the rest of us, you should rat him out??

Chad,
DO NOT suck it up or kiss your money goodbye. You paid via Postal money order so this is considered mail fraud if you do not receive what you paid for. A registered letter to this guy with a copy of the law as it relates to mail fraud should be your next step if you cannot get any response.
I think you have been more than patient with the seller and I would be down right p@ssed.
If this guy is a long time member then there may be some truth to it, if he is a newer guy with low post then I would be pretty suspicious. He wouldn't be the first guy to use a "family tragedy" excuse for not following through.
Personally after 2 excuses I start relaying some concern and pressure a seller into getting the job done.
I would really hate to think that you got ripped off but it is not looking good from what your post says.
Wish you all the luck in the world my friend.

If he's a member, maybe Carol or Vlad have a phone number they can call and tell him to call you?? What about sending a registered letter...

I think I will send out a second certified letter tomorrow, I guess....idk.

This is a real rarity on this forum.
Luckily I have had only positive transactions and I only remember seeing 1 or 2 others who did not get what they had coming.
Maybe to protect the rest of us, you should rat him out??

I don't think that's allowed per forum rules....If it doesn't get resolved soon I will leave negative feedback in the itrader rating. And you're right, it is a rarity here. I've purchased several things on here with ZERO problems. However, its clearly stated purchases are at my own risk, which I completely understand.

You don't have to post his name, but you could post a link to a thread that you read about somebody suffering a loss in the family (wink wink) Somebody on here might know the guy or give you some info on him. If you don't want to do that at least let us know how long he has been on here and how many post's he has. That might give some clue.

I don't care what happended....nothing is too important to drop all communication when you have someone's money...especially $400.

Even an email that said "Hey...totally F'd over right now...I will email you back your money or the detector in two weeks" would be better than this.

I would have no qualms about getting the sheriff involved and hauling him in for theft and fraud. No joke.

You don't have to post his name, but you could post a link to a thread that you read about somebody suffering a loss in the family (wink wink) Somebody on here might know the guy or give you some info on him. If you don't want to do that at least let us know how long he has been on here and how many post's he has. That might give some clue.

right

If it was my money, my next step would be to contact the local postal inspector. My understanding is since payment was made with a USPS money Order a situation involving fraud is a federal crime and the postal inspector will investigate.

Post a name. The guy gave you the run around. What has to happen? An apple fall on your head? Use the power of the forum to squeeze the guy. If he lives near me I'll go knock on his freakin door. Keep this from happening to someone else. You have been ripped off. Get what you are entitled to. I would demand my money back. I would not trust the condition of the detector.

I think you have been more than patient. Time to get medieval on him!

There are few tragedies that you can't pull yourself away from long enough to send an email.

I think you have been more than patient. Time to get medieval on him!

There are few tragedies that you can't pull yourself away from long enough to send an email.

Yep. If a person can find time to post on a forum, he has plenty of time to send an email.
Good Luck Chad!

I don't know what sort person problems pop up, that would be greater that completing prior obligations. I'd want to get them resolved quickly, so I can focus on more pressing matters. Unless the man was robbed, had neither the detector, nor the money, and need time to make the refund up, but he could have stated it, sent a copy of the police report. Nobody likes to be left hanging, and personally don't want leave anyone in the dark, and wondering.

Hope everything works out. Just too many people running scams these days, the internet is no different. Really tough to trust in others. Here, we do get some sense of what the other members are all about, through the posts they leave. Think the vast majority of the members are as they claim.

Back
Top Bottom