Excal test with my machines 8" blue-10" green

Gold Digger 2

Elite Member
We did some interesting testing about two weeks ago with different machines and the thing that was definitely evident is that GT with the 10X13 Ultimate coil Dew has is the ultimate machine,,,,:laughing:waterproofed. would be king,,,,,The other day I did a test on my blue 8" with BBS coil against my Excal II 10" VLF, I was pretty surprised how the 8" held out,,,,,no matter what, my blue runs so much smoother all the way around,,,,,,until you put time on both machines, it is really hard to understand the difference,,,,,the results.......
yellow gold band 14k 9.6g 8" coil/10"_____10" coil 11"-12"
yellow gold band 14k 5.5g 8" coil/9"-10"_____10" coil 9"-10"
white gold band 14k 7.7g 8" coil/11"_______10" coil 11"
yellow gold kids ring 10k .5g 8"coil/6"______10" coil 7"

what was evident was that the 8" coil held ground to depth on the average depth finds,,,,,,,,what also was evident was the 10" coil would get just a bit more depth on a deep heavy gold,,,,,,last thing that was noticed was that the 10" actually hit deeper on the tiny gold,,,,,which BTW is the machine I found the .5g ring

this test was done the exact same way we did it a couple weeks ago EXCEPT,,,,there was no air involved,,,,,,regardless, I swear that my blue is so much smoother that it makes up any differences and more,,,,yes, 10" will cover more ground on the sand,,,,BUT, when we get in to summer hunting, speed is king and I can swing the 8" a heck of a lot faster,,,,,,,thanks for looking,,,GL HH

Cool test! Wish I had a blue. 10" Excal ll starts petering out on gold .4 grams. Got any small stuff you can try?

Ive went thru a couple pair of headphones.... but seem to have a really good pair now. I have to agree the Blues sure run smooth even at high sensitivity not nearly the chatter of the Xcal II. However, im pretty certain my Blue is more sensitive on the smaller targets yet may not go as deep as my Yellow. I think some of that is my Xcal II can run a little more sensitivity..... but you have to put up with the chatter. Like some i run in PP a good bit too.... why a little more depth by being able to run full sensitivity. No two machines are alike.... one reason could be knob position or like IMA said.... just out of auto... or is it really out of auto? Now i have to ask you Tim..... if the 10" is as deep or deeper especially of small gold..... why use the 8" if you can cover more area since the 8" is really what 7 1/4? NOW.... you need to test my blue 10" against your yellow 10".... apples to apples. who knows you may want to jump ship and look for a 10" blue.

Dew

Aloha, Thanks for the test I am feeling a little bet better about My Excalibur 2 that will be hear anytime today. Big Mahalo GG&HH>>Shaka..\m/''''''

Interesting results..What I find most interesting is that the green 10 ties or beats the blue 8 yet you still prefer the blue 8...
Weather permitting, my blue 10" arrives Wednesday....then maybe I'll get the green and blue 10" and test side by side. I can only hope that the blue I bought is as smooth as your blue. Using my green the past three hunts, I had to constantly play with the Sensitivity and Threshold to attempt to get a real smooth threshold, one problem I've had since day one with the green.

Cliff

Interesting results..What I find most interesting is that the green 10 ties or beats the blue 8 yet you still prefer the blue 8...
Weather permitting, my blue 10" arrives Wednesday....then maybe I'll get the green and blue 10" and test side by side. I can only hope that the blue I bought is as smooth as your blue. Using my green the past three hunts, I had to constantly play with the Sensitivity and Threshold to attempt to get a real smooth threshold, one problem I've had since day one with the green.

Cliff

yup, that is what I find with the green,,,,play with it more than swing it,,,,I get the blue set and she hums right along,,,,,the interesting part was that the green 10" did actually get a wee bit more depth on the .5g ring, not much,, but I tell you, I stood there and did each of them a couple times to log the result,,,,BUT, when I hunt with the 8", I swear I get more tiny stuff,,,,like Dew said,,,,the green's do chatter a little more and will certainly have an effect on how much stuff in general you pick up

Cool test! Wish I had a blue. 10" Excal ll starts petering out on gold .4 grams. Got any small stuff you can try?

I was thinking the same thing, would be interesting to see how they compare on a .5 gram gold ring.

Last edited:
Ive went thru a couple pair of headphones.... but seem to have a really good pair now. I have to agree the Blues sure run smooth even at high sensitivity not nearly the chatter of the Xcal II. However, im pretty certain my Blue is more sensitive on the smaller targets yet may not go as deep as my Yellow. I think some of that is my Xcal II can run a little more sensitivity..... but you have to put up with the chatter. Like some i run in PP a good bit too.... why a little more depth by being able to run full sensitivity. No two machines are alike.... one reason could be knob position or like IMA said.... just out of auto... or is it really out of auto? Now i have to ask you Tim..... if the 10" is as deep or deeper especially of small gold..... why use the 8" if you can cover more area since the 8" is really what 7 1/4? NOW.... you need to test my blue 10" against your yellow 10".... apples to apples. who knows you may want to jump ship and look for a 10" blue.

Dew

Bottom line, I am finding more good targets and gold with the blue 8", 7 1/4 or whatever,,,,it just seems to always find me more targets,,,,not that I don't like my 10",,,,,I actually love them both,,,,,whole lot less problems with my blue I bought used for half the price I paid for my green 10" that is now out of warranty,,,,,We definitely need to compare you 10" blue with the 10" green,,,,,I am hoping for a 10" blue soon,,,,even if the depth is the same, the smooth running on the blue beats the green hands down,,,,,GL HH

It Would Be interesting to see if it is the coil's that are making the difference, not the size but the make. Being one is the older BBS and the newer is the thinline tornado.

Obn

I most definitely think the BBS are much better, and durable, the machine with the silver handle that you have had a new slimline installed, I never had a BBS coil go bad on me, bottom line. Also the Blue 1000 I had with the Blue phones and BBS 10, would smoke any Excalibur 2 1000 in depth :shock::yes: howboutit, YOU have done tests.

I would sure like to see the Blue 10" &The Green 10" go head to head on depth.I dont know anybody with a blue 10" or i would set it up.I hope you guys can set up a test between the 2 ide love to see the results...

Thanks for the comparison testing! That is some cool stuff. I am not sure why my little green Excal does well but maybe there are differences in machines of the same type and make. A few tests showed mine was pretty deep and especially sensitive to small gold found during sanded in times. I have found a lot of gold with it and much of it was small. That leads me to believe it is finding small gold other machines can't. If you are finding small gold then large gold is easier.

Having said that I would not sell my green machine for anything. I already did test against another hunters blue with CDV one day and his failed to hear the target when mine hit it fine and on PP it hit it hard. 11" deep slim 14K band and his blue did not peep. He went back to the car and got another machine. He was the only one who found gold that day. :laughing:

The blue has a good reputation but not all machines are equal no matter the color. I will keep mine and continue to find gold. Works for me. :D

It Would Be interesting to see if it is the coil's that are making the difference, not the size but the make. Being one is the older BBS and the newer is the thinline tornado.
Not sure what you are asking but I think the slim 8" Tornado on the Excal OR the GT is a superior coil. It might not be as deep as some large coils but it is fast and PP's perfect. I go back to a 12" coil and hate it. I go back to the small coil and it finds gold with either machine. I have found twice the gold with the small coil with the GT or Excal. Something going on there. You have to use it correctly and find areas that hold targets. Reading the beach is a requirement since those coils are not made to comb. Hit small runnels or erosion and those coils are superior.

Joe ..... have you ever put both coils together and compared them on a SOV? That might give an interesting result. We also know some of the Xcal IIs have a third wire going to the headphones.... which could be for some sort of grounding to resolve EMI perhaps causing the chatter. I can tell you my Xcal II doesnt like running East to West on a slope near the wave line.... chatters/falses a good bit, but the blue isnt really affected. I have the same coil on both the blue and Xcal II. I know when i put this last pair of headphones on the Blue Joe ...something changed. before it flat wouldnt run past 7 sensitivity anywhere in the water or on the beach. The headphones are a big part of what we hear, how we hear it.... or dont. Tim has the blue phones.

Dew as soon as I get one of my excaliburs rebuild here I will be ready for some testing, I just wish I was closer to you guys so I could bring "The Viper"

I mush have about ten 10inch coils, Zero 8 inch other then 2 Sea Search 8 inchers to test with...I just think many purchase the 10 thinking it's all about size. :D

NOT CREATED EQUAL
I was talking to a friend who is a Printed Circuit Designer and I asked him about our detectors not having the same sensitivity and depth.
His reply was that all components [all the little pieces inside]are manufactured to perform in a range.
if 1 detector gets the majority of parts that perform in the upper range and 1 gets parts in the lower range these detectors will both work but one will be a little better than the other. What they hope happens is the parts average so the products are average.

My 2 cents Jim

Dew as soon as I get one of my excaliburs rebuild here I will be ready for some testing, I just wish I was closer to you guys so I could bring "The Viper"

I mush have about ten 10inch coils, Zero 8 inch other then 2 Sea Search 8 inchers to test with...I just think many purchase the 10 thinking it's all about size. :D

Nobody parting with the 8" is all you really need to know. I asked a guy at the beach if he wanted to sell his 8" blue. And I swear I thought he was gonna come unglued:lol:

Hi Joe, well I got the blue and it had the regular 10 and I changed the coil to a tornado 10" and find it better than the regular one. HH

NOT CREATED EQUAL
I was talking to a friend who is a Printed Circuit Designer and I asked him about our detectors not having the same sensitivity and depth.
His reply was that all components [all the little pieces inside]are manufactured to perform in a range.
if 1 detector gets the majority of parts that perform in the upper range and 1 gets parts in the lower range these detectors will both work but one will be a little better than the other. What they hope happens is the parts average so the products are average.

My 2 cents Jim

very true,,,,,before Dew or I had a blue I used his same exact 10" green II as mine, he was wanting me to listen to it because he didn't think it sounded right, after about 10 minutes I handed it back and said, it is picking up targets just fine but does sound different than mine and I said just cant think that any two of these machines would be the exact same with all the electronics,,,,,NO MATTER WHAT, the green machines chatter a whole lot more and do not run as smooth and I have pulled some really deep targets that I may have missed with my green II 10"

Greg, I know you are proud of your 8" tornado and it does sound like a hot machine, and am telling you, don't get rid of it cause we all sat and watched Groovieguys 8" tornado not even do as good as his ATpro in the wet sand,,,,,no joke,,,,,GL HH

Back
Top Bottom