• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Hijacking, is it a crime or a compliment

OleSarge

Elite Member
:hornetsnest:In the short time I've been a member of "Friendly" Metal Detecting Forum I've noticed the term "hijacking/hijacked" repeatedly used in reference to others who had either "hijacked" a digging site or "hijacked" a thread. I've searched the forum and found that this term was used 119 times on 86 threads in a variety of ways, from accustory to appologetic, but more often than not in a very "unfriendly" manner. My initial impression of the FMDF was a forum where like minded metal detector hobbyists could exchange information and ideas about their hobby. It appeared that a "forum", or public meeting place for open discussion was a ideal format for the exchange of "friendly" topics related to metal detecting by those interested and practicing metal detecting. Then, the word "share" and "friendship" came into question and I posted the thread asking why MDers hesitated sharing their digging sites with others. This was a education in the predator side of metal detecting and the word "share" dimmed in brilliance when the props were kicked out of the platform which supports the concept that all MDer's are laid back old men who search out lost toys for kids. Now, I am confused about the commonly accepted meaning and severity of the word "hijack" because it alludes to something nearing theft, claim jumping, fence cutting, and on-and-on, which is miles and eons away from a "friendly" exchange of something which should be pleasure evoking and interest inspiring. Rather, it is used as a blanket word to take the offensive stance that posting something to your thread or catching someone plundering your choice site is a crime. I consider it a compliment if someone posts interesting photos to, or makes supporting comments regarding a topic I've posted to or a thread I've started. Weak or absence of input is a sign of weak or nonexistant interest and the post or thread deserves to die a quiet death. Since the sites I dig are public domain and I fail to comprehend how someone can "steal" my park or tot lot and pump it dry of all the targets. If someone is good enough to "pump" targets I've repeatedly searched for and failed to find, maybe we should be friends on FMDF and they will show me their secrets. Bottom line to this thread is...HOW DO YOU VIEW 'HIJACKING' AND, SHOULD FMDF INCLUDE 'HIJACKING' IN THEIR CONDUCT AND ETHICS PAGE FOR NEW MEMBERS OF FMDF?

ATP/GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes"

Let's say that I posted that I was selling a AT Pro detector for X amount of dollars. A couple people follow up posting that they are interested, THEN another member post that he has a AT Pro for sale $50 cheaper.
To me that is a flagrant case of "Highjacking" a thread.
Another would be if you post a thread with a specific question and then another guy post asking other questions not really related to your original post. This is a "minor" highjacking I would think.
Overall I think most guys here are very respectful of others post and the majority of the hurt feelings are mostly caused unintentionally and without malice.

good question. I've seen the term used of someone who debates passionatelly for one view or another. Rather than just state a view and leave it at that, he checks back, sees if someone else has taken issue with his stance. And ... if so .... replies back with counter-comment. Then it ratchets up like a nuclear arms race, and each party then accuses the other of "hijacking" the thread, haha :laughing:

As it relates to forum etiquette, choppadude gave you good examples. Highjiacking a thread means you come into the middle of the exchange and try to piggyback with your own tangent, rather than starting your own thread.

So... how bout that superbowl score, huh? :D

If one is giving praise to a sponser and another chimes in giving praise to a different sponser, that's hijacking. If someone wants to give praise to another sponser, start a new thread. No harm intended Sarge.

generally hijack is where the topic ends up going in a different direction from the original topic.

As for posting your hunting sites many put in a lot of time researching a spot and don't want to share with people to lazy to do their own research

generally hijack is where the topic ends up going in a different direction from the original topic.

As for posting your hunting sites many put in a lot of time researching a spot and don't want to share with people to lazy to do their own research
Agree with the hi-jacking thread explanation.

As for the detecting area hijacking - if I spend time researching and finding an old homestead/farm house, barn., or whatever and find some relics, coins etc.. - no one will find out about it.

My detecting buddy and I have been doing a lot of research this winter on areas near where we live. If we find something - Dont expect me or anyone to give up sites they find thru their research.

As for the public areas - parks, school yards etc.. go for it, its a public area and I cant stop you from being there. You have as much right to be there as me.

Let's say that I posted that I was selling a AT Pro detector for X amount of dollars. A couple people follow up posting that they are interested, THEN another member post that he has a AT Pro for sale $50 cheaper.
Another would be if you post a thread with a specific question and then another guy post asking other questions not really related to your original post. This is a "minor" highjacking I would think.
Overall I think most guys here are very respectful of others post and the majority of the hurt feelings are mostly caused unintentionally and without malice.

Choppadude, in all fairness, and when considering the thousands of posts made to FMDF, I actually believe only 86 threads containing the word "hijack", used in a total of only 119 posts, is actually a compliment to FMDF members. The crux of my question rests in the wrinkle that most people on FMDF have time to burn and use the forum as a source of relaxation. Stress and apprenhension kill far more people than accidents or disease. A few years ago the bottom dropped out of the stock market. One morning I found that I was substantially poorer than when I went to sleep the night before. I called my broker, really upset about the loss of years of interest income over mere hours of night time trading. Coolly, the broker explained to me that I had lost nothing because I had nothing to lose. The funds were simply numbers used for reference when "THEY" bought, sold or traded stocks and bonds. Since the numbers represented only bargaining capitol, and I had never taken possession of that capitol by converting it into money in my hand, I had no money to lose. However, I could convert the smaller amount of capitol into currency and recieve payment for it at the reduced value of the account. Or, I could accept that it was a stock account, rather than a savings or checking account, allow the balance to remain as it was in hopes the market improved before my account balance was zeroed out. Hoped for a future return on the investment, I decided to wait for the market to provide a suitable profit before the account went broke. So, what does this have to do with "hijacking"? Well, in my opinion, words posted to FMDF are nothing more than a investment of digital characters with absolutely no cash value until a buyer is found and the digital characters become viable words being read by someone. Otherwise, you got a bite on your post/thread! No bites, it dies and goes away into the bin of worthless characters. That is a bad post, or a digging area no one wants. A good post/thread generates responses and your investment is returned, the high tones start and the computer screen starts returning "high number/feel good" vibes. Coincidentally, I would have still bought your ATP because a $50.00 savings(?) on a $600.00 machine is negligible considering the time, expense and trouble acquired with the purchase of what may be another guys worse craigslist nightmare realized.

"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes"

Ok, 11 replies in as many minutes. That is the way we realize a good return of investment capitol. Now, I switch gears and start condeming Etracs or ranting about my ATP at the expense of your CTX. Did I hijack the thread..I know..I can't hijack my own thread..but speaking hypothetically, did I hijack (ruin) the thread or can the next respondent simply redirect the topic away from the CTX and back to the original topic? Say they choose to continue the CTX topic, and the thread suddenly it gets 11 more CTX related posts in the next 11 minutes, is this bad in a metal detecting forum where friends discuss interesting topics? Was the the guy who "hijacked", and redirected, a floundering topic toward one more interesting the "baddy", or was the guy who got all testy because their foundering thread was "hijacked" the real stinker? And, a restatement of my original question; Is hijacking a problem of the sort it should be included on the FMDF Conduct and Ethics Page as a rule for new FMDF members?

I think if a thread starts out talking about subject "A" it should stay on that subject - If someone brings up subject "B" and it takes over the OP's question about subject "A" then subject "B" needs its own thread.

Remember - the OP had a legitimate question about something and he wants an answer or an explanation for it. Its easy enough to start a new thread - let the OP get what he asked for.

If one is giving praise to a sponser and another chimes in giving praise to a different sponser, that's hijacking. If someone wants to give praise to another sponser, start a new thread. No harm intended Sarge.

Golly Ptc boy, if, while sitting here picking and pecking on my computer, if I percieve harm coming my way I just hit the "off" switch. I do keep a couple of loaded .45's handy for those who actually threaten harm at my door, but they have never been fired in anger either. As I understand it the way the forum should be viewed in regards to diverse opinions is sort of like the old saying "My way or the highway". I personally enjoy well stated opposing views to my own, especially when the topic is a very informed comparison to a thought or belief upon which I've predicated making a very expensive, and possibly budget blowing Metal Detector purchase. If you watch professional wrestling on TV or have been exposed to Justin Bieber's antics you must be aware of the fact that 99% of advertisement is making your name a icon. The tactics employed to do this doesn't necessarily have to come swaddled in pink baby's clothing and cradled in cooing sounds. Criticism or constructive comments of a adversary, may it be a competitor sponsor on FMDF or one wrestler ranting about another is more beneficial to the competitor than if their name was never mentioned in any manner, may it be gushing praise or a neatly hijacked post.:lol:

ATP w/8.5X11 & 5X8 coils, GPP/Fiskars Diggers/BH Outback/CT hand held

In the time it took you to write your post and comments you could have dug some nice targets. If you still have to ask about highjacking after searching 89 post you will never get the meaning.

Is hijacking a problem of the sort it should be included on the FMDF Conduct and Ethics Page as a rule for new FMDF members?

No... nothing wrong with debate...

If hijacking bothers you don't visit the beach forum :lol:

If that happens then you report it and we delete the offending post...

No... nothing wrong with debate...

If hijacking bothers you don't visit the beach forum :lol:

:wow2: 20,194 posts. Congratulations on what must be close to a record.
Exactly, if "you" is generic rather than meaning "me". I'm not bothered by even the probability of having anything I post on the forum hijacked, regardless of what it is or where I post it. The temp outside is 27 degrees, it's snowing and the wind is biting cold. Even if I wanted to go digging I would spend more time slipping in the mud than I would swinging my metal detector. My stove is cranked up to hyperdrive and the coffe pot is perking. If I make a post or a thread on the forum which initiates a stimulating conversation, and you can handle it better than me, have at it. You start another thread...why?...I can do that too! All I ask is that the take-over be friendly and uses respectful language. Now, if you really want to get my ire up, rather than virtually reaching into the post and snatching away the BB's I'm ranting about, literally reach through my computer screen and take a sip of my coffee.:lol:

Just my 2 cents worth... IMHO there are 2 types of hijacking, the unwitting and often funny garden variety type, and the aggravating thread "takeover" type.

Garden variety hijacking is pretty common and nobody really minds, usually when someone hijacks a thread it's unintentional and just a natural expansion of thought that kind of goes awry. A lot of times we all get off on some tangent but usually either see what we're doing and stop, and often you'll see an apology for that type of hijacking ...

Having said that, it's the aggressive, repetitive, and predictable hijacking of threads that people usually become aggravated with.

Certain folks seem to gravitate to certain types of threads, or even just a "keyword" that appears in a thread, and seem to feel free to steer them from the original poster's intent to turn the unsuspecting OP's thread into their own personal soap box for their "special topic, ruining a lot of otherwise interesting threads while they're at it.

These are the hijackers that receive gentle "hints" that they're sort of hijacking a thread, and they're the ones that usually ignore any such gentle hints and go ahead and hijack every other available thread that remotely relates to their "special topic."

Back
Top Bottom