Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 05-25-2020, 02:53 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Pete e View post
Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for the information and encouragement...I am very much at the hand sewing stage and have limited my self to a couple of small builds and a few mods of existing items. My work is let's say "functional" but no where near as professional looking as yours...

Many thanks again,

Peter
Hello Peter your welcome. If there is something I can help with details/techniques regarding one of my builds or what-not just send me a message.

Must be the small photos making my pouches appear better than they looked, but thanks. For functional use the collapsible cargo style pockets were great. The pouches did take a beating for a few years, and a damp cloth cleaned them right up. The last pouch I bundled with the previous detector I sold, and why I'm back to making/modifying another.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:51 PM
Elite Member

Hi Thomas,

Many thanks for the information and encouragement...I am very much at the hand sewing stage and have limited my self to a couple of small builds and a few mods of existing items. My work is let's say "functional" but no where near as professional looking as yours...

Many thanks again,

Peter

Pick up an Awl Stitcher if you're doing hand sewing on heavy stuff without a machine. They are usually used for leather, but I use it to repair belts, canvas, etc. They are really handy to keep around. YouTube will teach you to use it pretty easy

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:50 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by EmuDetector View post
Pick up an Awl Stitcher if you're doing hand sewing on heavy stuff without a machine. They are usually used for leather, but I use it to repair belts, canvas, etc. They are really handy to keep around. YouTube will teach you to use it pretty easy
Great idea! I haven't used one for years, and forgot about them. Since your post I got it ordered and extra thread, set for Wednesday delivery. Many thanks!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by EmuDetector View post
I have seen these about but never paid much attention to them..After having a look at a couple of YouTube videos I wish I had bought one years ago!

I have ordered one now and hopefully it will be here ready for my next project....

Old 05-28-2020, 08:51 PM
Elite Member

I have seen these about but never paid much attention to them..After having a look at a couple of YouTube videos I wish I had bought one years ago!

I have ordered one now and hopefully it will be here ready for my next project....
They are great to have around. Definitely awesome for putting back together straps and things for hiking gear and the like. On my first MD belt, I hated having my trowel holster sliding around. Quick stitch with the awl and locked down in place!

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:10 PM
Supporter

When hunting the parks, sidewalks, school yards, etc. I use this fishing vest (Amazon link) with multiple pockets and sneaky storage spots. Plus it's lightweight and breathable!
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2020, 12:14 PM

I started with the cheap shrxy Metal Detecting Finds Bag off Amazon. It has a couple minor issues but overall it's been pretty good. I'm happy with it. But I found that the bag would start sagging as I filled it up so I ordered a construction work belt/suspender setup that came with two pouches as well. So I removed one pouch on the left side and replaced it with the shrxy. Then I put the pouch that I removed and put it on my old belt. So...now I have a dual pouch setup with suspenders that I can wear on days I'm out longer or further from my car so I can carry more stuff and distribute the weight better. The other single pouch is for quick trips or when I'm close to the car and I can quickly unload the pouch as it fills with trash. Or...I have a second belt/pouch that I can load out if I ever have someone detect with me that maybe doesn't have their own setup or forgets/breaks the one they do have.