Can't believe it! Legit 1954 S/D Nickel! On my last roll!!

spenglure

Elite Member
Well, here it is folks. My first signicant (popular) error coin found since I began CRHing last winter. A 1954 S/D Jefferson Nickel! I have went through about 30 nickels boxes to find this. I also found some amazing MS 60 or better grade nickels in this box, with the two of them being 1954 S! Too bad my S/D wasn't one of the mintstate 1954s! Finding all these mintstate nickels got me wondering, how many of you guys find pre-1960 mintstate nickels roll hunting?

Attachments

• IMG_1360.jpg
    IMG_1360.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 384
Here's one of the high quality 1954 S dates I found!

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 396
Great find! KT loves classic error coins! Any idea was it would grade out as?

The S/D is unfortunately a standard worn grade. Probably a VG grade. I have no idea what to grade these higher quality nickels. I guess a 1954 S MS 65 could be worth good $ too but there is no way to authenticate that grade without an expert.

Very nice Nickel find. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really cool. How in the world does a Denver die get mixed with a SF die and get doubled? Seems like a total impossibility considering the distance between mints.

That's really cool. How in the world does a Denver die get mixed with a SF die and get doubled? Seems like a total impossibility considering the distance between mints.

There are some stories about how this happens. Either in a book I have or online. I can't remember which. If I'm not mistaken, mint marks at one point were punched separate from the coin. A few mint mark dies were shipped (and used) at the mint. Some where caught and repunched before leaving the mint.

Congrats, that's a neat find. I save my old nickels but never looked for that in particular. Another weekend project, lol.

Nice score.
I saw some really nice older (pre '60) nickels when I coin roll hunted last winter.
Too busy detecting this winter:lol:

Nice score.
I saw some really nice older (pre '60) nickels when I coin roll hunted last winter.
Too busy detecting this winter:lol:

Very cool. Nickels are probably my favorite coin for roll hunting. Never know what your going to find! Hoping to score a V-nickel one of these days!

Back
Top Bottom