Asian WW2 Medal?

tapir

Found this in an old box of stuff. I'm guessing Japanese WWII but I can find nothing online. Any ideas what this medal might be for? The diameter is 2"
Thanks for any help!
mystery_1.jpg

Date at the bottom says Showa Juninen. That makes it 1937.

It's a Japanese commemorative coin, commemorating something about China. Can't make out all the writing as the eyes are not as good as they used to be and the red "TAPIR" get in the way.

If you can post a more magnified photo of just the side with the bomb and not put the red watermark on it, I may be able to give you more details.

You can see the China coastline silouette and the detailed pic you just posted has some small circles with more kanji next to them. I think they are the location of cities. My wife just found the coin on Ebay Japan for 1000 yen, about 9 bucks...

Looks like a commemorative medallion, commemorating an event during the second Sino-Japanese war, which started on July 7, 1937.

The Kanji characters are very old style and my translator (wife) is having problems translating one of the characters which goes along with the next one, naming the event.

Here is one on eBay, with a $350 asking price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commemorati...3686576?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2348b525b0

The seller is from Japan, maybe you can ask him for a better translation or more detail?

Have I said this before??...I love this Forum!! :D

Seeing these interesting finds and then all the help that is given in figuring out what they are all about!

One of the most unique finds I have seen here, Congratz!!

Back
Top Bottom