Dentist Token

Redd

Elite Member
This token was found in a yard of a house to be torn down for a street widening project here in Wichita. This series of yards has brought me 2 Mercury Dimes as well. The token was about 6 inches down. This is the first time I've found a token for a Dentist, and I think it's one of my best tokens yet. It's about the size of a half dollar, made of copper, and even has a reeded edge.

This excerpt is form a history of Kansas and Kansans

Mr and Mrs Smyser had three children two sons and one daughter The oldest is Dr Harley Brown Smyser who was born October 21 1869 He attended the high school and studied dentistry passing the examination before the State Board of Dental Surgery He now resides at Wichita where he has an office and also other offices in Hutchinson Pratt and Kinsley.

I don't know if this is the token guy but...

Attachments

• 005a.jpg
    005a.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 690
  • 003a.jpg
    003a.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 680
Wonder what kinda work .50 or even a dollar would cover back then. Last root canal I had cost me over 1500 out of pocket. I told the receptionist, "But I have dental insurance". And she said to me that this was my portion.:mad:
Hence is why last month I got me pliers from the garage and yanked my tooth out meself. Lot cheaper and the pain is gone.

That token is incredible. Very unique. I can't imagine there's too many out there. Must be rare and valuable.

I found a few pics of them on google images, but there were none naming the dentist or with their portrait on it. That is what makes this one unique, or at least unusual.

This token has me intrigued....First , the portrait and name of the Dentist. The way the worth is worded is unusual as well. As I understand it, it's rare to find a token with a reeded edge to it. Can anyone clue me in to someone who can help to find a value for this one?

cool piece of history.modern tokens would have to be $100 and it would still cost ya your first male child

Back
Top Bottom