Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Deteknix
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Old 04-30-2018, 08:57 AM

Default Erratic readings at detector site

Hello,
I have an ACE 400 and was using it yesterday for about and hour. It was working great. After searching one site, I moved down the road to another site. When I turned the unit on and started sweeping it began beeping and the numbers were going crazy. I moved to different areas with the same results. I tried changing the frequency , but it didn't help. There were no power lines around, or anything that I could see that would cause interference. I thought the unit was having a electrical problem. Once I got home and turned it on it worked fine.. Just curious to know what could have caused it to do that..

Thanks,
Steve

Old 04-30-2018, 09:25 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by srichardson View post
Hello,
I have an ACE 400 and was using it yesterday for about and hour. It was working great. After searching one site, I moved down the road to another site. When I turned the unit on and started sweeping it began beeping and the numbers were going crazy. I moved to different areas with the same results. I tried changing the frequency , but it didn't help. There were no power lines around, or anything that I could see that would cause interference. I thought the unit was having a electrical problem. Once I got home and turned it on it worked fine.. Just curious to know what could have caused it to do that..

Thanks,
Steve
I have a sight like that..
I don't know the answer either but the Soil makeup seems "different" than most places around here.. I am wondering if it is the fertilizer they use or the base they used for the sod.. all I know is I wish I could get around it.. lowering the sensitivity and changing the frequency helps but still fairly erratic and I KNOW I am missing stuff.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:25 PM

I know what you mean.. I was really looking forward to searching this site..

Old 04-30-2018, 02:29 PM
Elite Member

Could be mineralization in the soil. could be coal/coke all over. could be other type of hot rocks. hard to say

Old 04-30-2018, 04:44 PM
Supporter

What type of site was it?

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake

Old 04-30-2018, 05:28 PM
Supporter

Certainly sounds like EMI. Could be buried cables, cell tower, wifi, etc.
Try it again on a weekend, early morning. Sometimes the time of day makes a difference.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 PM
Supporter

Was this an occupied house. If so do they have a dog as it may have been an electric invisible dog fence.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:18 AM

Gauntlet, Budaf250 It is a parking area for hiking trails near a river..

Mikey48, This was on the weekend..

Old 05-01-2018, 09:18 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by srichardson View post
Gauntlet, Budaf250 It is a parking area for hiking trails near a river..

Mikey48, This was on the weekend..
Reason i'd asked, and I've never run in to it, is I've heard others mention some ball fields covering the ground with a fencing/fabric to prevent digging (I guess of critters and humans).

Be sure the coil cable connector is screwed snug into the control housing. Also, I run the cable straight up the shaft for about 12-14" above the coil, secure it a few velcro ties, then wrap it around the remainder of the way.

Edited to add: Bumping the coil into things (even weeds) can sometimes cause falsing.

As mentioned, ground mineralization could be a possibility, as could a bad coil. See if you can find someone fairly local to you and ask about ground balance issues.

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake

Old 05-08-2018, 09:55 PM
Elite Member

If itís going nuts while the coil is standing still then itís likely EMI from something you canít see. If itís only while the coil is moving it could be contaminated/electrified in some way ground.
I have a few sites like you describe...unfortunately.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info IDXmonster