A Fugio and a Draped Bust LC

Lodge Scent

Hiked in to a cellar hole I had hit before with good success. There is so much iron at that site that I figured if I went slow enough I could sniff out a goody or two. I hit the Draped Bust first. Didn't know what I had until i got it home and cleaned it. Obverse if toasted but it gave up a date (1802).

I dug a couple of buttons before I sniffed out the Fugio. I was digging just about anything that hinted it might have been something besides iron. No mistaking what I had found.

Dug a few more buttons. Couple of them pewter and one tombac. Towards the back of the site, a tree had blown over revealing an old colonial era shell midden. The two pewter buttons came from the midden.

The reverse of the Fugio cleaned up nice. The obverse cleaned up well enough to give the date (1787).

Also found the remains of an old divider compass.

The cooler weather can't get here quick enough!

Congrats on the Sweet Fugio, Draped and the rest of your finds. Best of luck on your next hunt at that spot. steve

Congrats on a excellent coin you don't get Fugio's very often. I've got 1 in 15 years. Yours is in better shape. Its the coolest coin out there with the Mind Your Business motto on it. Our little country had balls.

Congrats on an excellent find!! I agree - this belongs in the eye-popping section. It's not every day you can hold a coin designed by Ben Franklin!

Congrats on a excellent coin you don't get Fugio's very often. I've got 1 in 15 years. Yours is in better shape. Its the coolest coin out there with the Mind Your Business motto on it. Our little country had balls.

Amen to that. My all time favorite coin design. Now if I could just find one!

Thanks folks!

Amen to that. My all time favorite coin design. Now if I could just find one!

CTT Todd and Swinglow, I agree, very cool coin design. Amazingly I have dug 3 of them. This one is the best I would say. Unfortunately none of the ones I have dug have much detail on the obverse. You don't see many that come out of the ground that do. But I am not complaining !

Back
Top Bottom