Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II/Pioneer 505

TG77

Hey, I'm sort of new at this and would like some info about how the SSII/Pioneer 505 stack up against the Ace 250. I have heard some good things about the Ace. I have also heard that the BH cheaper detectors are little more than toys but that the Quick Draw II and up are serious tools. If so how do they stack up against each other? Thanks! TG77

Personally .... I'd take the Ace250 over just about any Bounty Hunter detector. Not that the upper end don't perform to some degree , it's the quality I worry about.

I have the BH Quick Draw II and love it because of its ease of use and good depth (I've found stuff at 10"). However, I'm new to the hobby and don't have a basis for comparison. Tony, what does the Ace 250 have that the BHQDII doesn't? Would it be worth it to buy the Ace 250 and keep the BHQDII for a backup? Thanks for your help.
Gwen

TG77 I started with the radioshack clone of the BH Land Star. It served my purpose, coin shoothing and it still works after 5 years. But the one thing About the Ace 250 that I liked is that it was more stable. So like Gwen said to have the QDII as a backup would be a good ideal.

hi TG77!! I have both machines in question: a garrett ace 250 and a bounty hunter quickdraw II. I have to say that both machines are great! I think that they compliment eachother nicely. I have'nt had the 250 long enough to make serious opinion, but I can say that I am loving it. Right now I have the 250 set up with the stock coil(6.5X9), and the QDII with the 4" coil. So if I run into a trashy area, I just swap machines real quick. Plus it is nice to have a decent detector to lend to friends when they want to join me in a hunt. Any questions, feel free to ask! HH

As I stated , it isn't always about performance. The BH QDII may outperfrom the Ace250 in some cases but its the stability of the workmanship that I question. My 30+ years experience with Bounty Hunter tells me that they have always been on the low end of quality since First Texas bought them out. They cheapened up the Teknetics line so much that they discontinued it till just recently. Also , the latest detector from them is not a Bounty Hunter but a Teknetics. I surmise that this is the case simply because they finally hired an engineer that developed something new technologically and they wanted the new detector to be thought of as a more quality unit. That's not to say that some people have pretty good luck with BH detectors and if used in a reasonable manner will work. It's just that too many times I see where people have bought BH detectors ( including from me ) and had to return them a short time later because of malfunctions.

Thanks all, I wanted to hear from those who had experience with both machines, not just hear-say. I'm a newbie so I will probably have lots of questions on down the line. Thanks again. Happy Hunting. TG77

Thanks, Tony, for the input. Guess I'd better send my BH warranty card in! :yes: And you're right about the quality; last night the connector for the batteries broke (but the wires are still in tact so it works). I bought the unit January 2! Wonder if I should go with the Ace 250 when this one's kaput, or move up to something more substantial?

I have a Bounty Hunyer 505. I used it all through my yard. When I got my White's MXT I thought OK, now the deeper coins. I have found 1 dime and 1 penny that i missed with the 505. Could be I just ne :roll:ver swung over them with the 505 Who knows.

I've owned both the BH SS II and the Time Ranger.  Both are good, solid machines for the money.  Lightweight and easy to use. Both perform well up to about 6-8" depth.  The challenge is -- as always -- to be able to work well in trashy areas, and for that you may have to spend more money.

For the money of the top Bounty Hunters you should be able to get more than 6-8" depth. The Ace250 will give you around that for less. The MXT , once you understand how if functions and what it's telling you , will go pretty deep. Remember , if the target isn't there , no detector can find it.

Back
Top Bottom