To Minelab or not to Minelab

Richnlin

Thanks everyone for all the tips for a new guy to the metal detecting hobby. I have just received a Garwin 60CS GPS, a military lensatic compass and about to make the final plunge. Is it a Whites DFX or a Minelab Explorer II? Is there anyone out there that has a Minelab Explorer II and what has been your experience? I have read all the reports that the Minelab Explorer II is hard to understand, eats batteries, etc. But I have also read that it is the best for depth and accuracy once it is mastered. I am new to the detector world but am retiring from the military reserves in a few months from the Air Force Reserves. I taught map reading in the Army and am a Rigger in the Air Force so I am used to complicated things. I just want to make the right choice between the final contestants, the Whites DFX or the Minelab Exlorer II. Any suggestions?

I can better explain over the phone. I can call you if you like or you can call me. In a nutshell the EXII is better overall I feel but the DFX is easier to use. Either way you're getting a great detector.
Tony
860-623-1153

I've got my ExpII for about 10 months.  There is a learning curve to this thing but I don't think it's as bad as they say.  It can be a little frustrating in the beginning, trying to decipher all the information it's giving you, but once you "get" it, your brain kinda filters out all the tones and focuses on the good ones.

It definitely goes deep, especially at the beach.  It's also extremely sensitive to small objects.  Lot's of bells and whistles and many ways to customize it to the site you're hunting. However, I find I'm leaning toward less and less discrimination (depending on where I'm hunting). Lot's of help available on line to get you through the learning phase. All in all, I love the machine...    :yes:

I thought it was very heavy when I first used it, but after a while it became a non-issue. The only time I use a "swingy thingy" is at the beach but mostly as a precaution... so I don't drop it in the shallow surf by accident.

I bought my Explorer II last July. I had downloaded the manual and read it several times while I was saving for the machine. I was expecting a lot of complication, but it was not nearly the beast that a lot made it out to be. I found everything straightforward, and I did "hands on" to understand better. After two weeks I was into programming it myself. Within a month and a half, I really started to get to know it. Now it comes with an instructional DVD (it didn't back then), which makes it even easier. I got a copy of this DVD which helps as a refresher after seasonal layoff when we tend to forget details. All in all, I am extremily happy with my choice in detectors. BTW, I did a lot of research in order to choose a machine. I have found very small objects (buttons, buckshot, coins) as much as 18" down in both cornfields as well as the N.J. beaches. The weight is a non issue. Minelabs like to have their coils on the ground, thus relieving the balance off of your arm. I use Eveready 2500 Mah NiMh AA's. I get an average of 14 hours without even setting off the low battery alarm. I carry a spare set with me in my tool belt as a backup. I use a computerized charger/ cycler from my R/C plane and car hobby which can discharge and recharge a set of 8 AA's in about 40 minutes at a 1.5 Amp rate. The batteries that the Exp.II comes with are Vanson 1600 Mah NiMh, which are only 66 % the capacity of the Eveready's. I use the Vansons in my CD player or radio. The "quickstart" mode of the Exp.II is the factory default. This is the starting point. The machine is an excellent detector even in the factory default mode which can also be changed, but not on the level of "advanced mode" This will allow you to "ease" into it and still find stuff.

HH!!!!
          Bill

Hi Richnlin. I got my DFX last spring and after the initial learning curve was over, I found it to be an awesome machine. I like the multitude of capabilities this machine offers. You can customize your own program any way you want for the conditions you are hunting in. In my opinion, Whites has been around a very long time, and they make an outstanding machine. Which ever MD you decide on, you will be getting a good one. Good luck on your quest, and HH

Back
Top Bottom