Tie pinpointer to self

MattLock

Elite Member
I’m going back to the beach and this time I have the ability to hunt in the water I plan to go around knee deep. So what’s the best way to tie my pinpointer and tools to my self

For your pinpointer you can use one of those key ring things that stretch.

Like Saoirse said, get one of those retractable lanyards and hook your pinpointer to it. There aren't many other tools that you'll need. A scoop is a must, but you'll be carrying that with the hand you're not swinging the detector with. As to a finds pouch, I've used a shoe bag in the past, which I tied to my belt. You can also use one of those wash bags used for delicate clothing. They're cheap and have a zip, so your finds will be safe.

I don't ever see the need for a pinpointer either in the water, or wet and dry sand.

I use a coiled pistol lanyard that I got specifically for river hunting. Works great and with the Velcro on the belt end, its easily adjustable. Don't use it often, but there are times its an extremely handy time saver.

I don't ever see the need for a pinpointer either in the water, or wet and dry sand.

Agree 100%, I tried one hunting deep in the water with a sifter, not much help and more of a problem. I guess if you dig a lot of little trash it may help but in time your eyes learn to pick out the shapes and colors of diff targets. Specially anything gold, that color for some reason jumps out.

I never take my pin pointer to the beach. Your scoop should be large enough that you can did the target easily with just the pin point function on your detector. The majority of targets I dig on the beach are too deep for a pin pointer to find Also most of the targets that slip thru the scoop are not precious metal.

I always have my pinpointer on a coiled key lanyard, in the water I use one for the detector too. I'm hunting slow rivers and creeks but even with a slow current the detector seems to float straight to deep water and quick. I hunt less than knee-deep, but have fallen into the deep many times. I learned from canoeing and kayaking that if you want to keep it tie it on. I would arrange your gear for what happens if you fall or get knocked down by a big wave. Water has amazing power and is unpredictable, I try to be ready for anything.

I hunt creeks and rivers so there is a lot of gravel to contend with. So a pinpointer comes in handy. I use a retractor call key bak. It has a 48" cord and works very well.

I can certainly see if you are a sand hunter, a pinpointer would not be needed. But in the gravel, a pinpointer will speed up the process.

I never take my pin pointer to the beach. Your scoop should be large enough that you can did the target easily with just the pin point function on your detector. The majority of targets I dig on the beach are too deep for a pin pointer to find Also most of the targets that slip thru the scoop are not precious metal.

I don’t want to spend tons of money for a scoop I use once a year and it’s too big to travel with

So how do you intend on retrieving the target? Shovel? I rarely ever even use the PPer on my machine..... let alone a hand PPer. In the wet or dry sand i dig..... pp..... and kick the sand then find it with the machine. If its to small for my GOOD eyes....... its a LEAVERRIGHT. You know its not worth looking for if you are on your knees moving dirt with your fingers and dont see yellow.:lol:

If it's a sandy type bottom, I just use my scoop, but when the bottom of the river is very rocky I will use my pinpointer and a floating sifter. In this scenario a floating sifter tied to your belt is fantastic. You can empty your scoop into the sifter and use the pinpointer to find the target in all those rocks and shells.

ALWAYS SCAN YOUR SIFTER WITH YOUR DETECTOR BEFORE YOU DUMP IT OUT!!!!:yes: There may be multiple targets in your sifter.

If I have my pinpointer in the water with me I just tie some 550 cord to it and my belt. I'ts better to tie it to you, than reach for it and realize it is no longer where you put it. :shock: A pinpointer is an invaluable tool, but they sure are expensive!

So how do you intend on retrieving the target? Shovel? I rarely ever even use the PPer on my machine..... let alone a hand PPer. In the wet or dry sand i dig..... pp..... and kick the sand then find it with the machine. If its to small for my GOOD eyes....... its a LEAVERRIGHT. You know its not worth looking for if you are on your knees moving dirt with your fingers and dont see yellow.:lol:
X2! :laughing:

To each their own. However, if you are bending over or kneeling to use a pinpointer at the beach, you are doing it wrong.

Matt, You said tie the pin pointer to self. I thought about that so I went ahead and took a nice nylon string and did just that. The cord was about 4 ft long, which allowed me to use it in any direction. I ended up just sticking the attached pointer in my pocket until it was needed which seemed to work fine. The negative about this procedure was in order to have any degree of comfort, I had to leave my zipper down. This was convenient during the potty breaks but it certainly caused some strange looks.:lol::laughing: Have a good time at the beach.

Funny how some in this thread think there is only one way to do things and if you don't do as they do, then by default, you are making a mistake.
If its stupid and it works for you, it isn't stupid.
duh.

Funny how some in this thread think there is only one way to do things and if you don't do as they do, then by default, you are making a mistake.
If its stupid and it works for you, it isn't stupid.
duh.

You definately don't work in management anywhere, that kind of speak makes too much sence. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom