Metal Detecting 1898 one room school house

Mpetersen

Im going to metal detect a 1898 school house this summer, i want advice on how to detect, on modes. This is a Virgin site, because there are cattle that go right in it, because it is a pasture. The owner said no one ever have, they owned it for 30 years. People are scared of metal detecting with the cattle, so they never do. What finds am i gonna find. Ask me questions,

Attachments

• 100.jpeg
    100.jpeg
    2.2 KB · Views: 452
You’re almost bound to find an old coin and maybe a token. School houses are the absolute number one producers for me anyway. The variety found at them is incredible. Because besides being a school it was also the local meeting grounds in the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of old coin

Well for instance at the last one I detected here in Kansas I found a Mercury dime a shield nickel several Indian head pennies and a Civil War button amongst other things. Typically you’ll find V nickels or Indian head pennies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2019 was my first year and my best finds were all at an old church built in the late 1800s that was also used as a school. I didn't find a lot, but it was a great place to learn my machine and detecting in general.

I found an IHP and a V nickel, both from the 1890s. Beyond that 3 buffalo nickels, a few wheats, a silver war nickel and 2 newer silver coins. I haven't found any old silver though. It took many hours searching and oddly I found the 2 oldest coins in December in an area I had scanned many times. Possibly the wet ground from the fall rains made them standout or possibly I had just learned more about my machine by then.

Anyway, just an idea of the possibilities. A slow methodological search is bound to turn up something good.

Good luck. But a word of note: A lot of times you will hear someone (like an owner or manager, etc...) say : "No one's ever md'd here". When the truth is: They simply don't realize it's been hit. Even if they are adamant about it.

Reasons are things like: Some other family member gave an ok to their friend 10 yrs. ago. Or some ranch-hand figured his uncle bob could hit ... Or the prior owner said ok to someone. Or someone simply .. uh ... helped themselves.

Hopefully it's virgin.

I know that in CA the 1-room school houses are often time very stingy for coins (if they went defunct by the 1920s). Unless it served cross-purpose for things like grange hall, church, or other adult purpose.

I've searched some old one room schoolhouses and never came away with anything good. Good luck when you hunt it but I doubt any of us can tell you what you're going to find there !:confused:

Whether the schoolhouse building is still standing or you know exactly where it stood, expect to find rusty nails, pieces of copper and lead flashing and other metal construction material within zero to twenty feet of the footprint of the building. Just makes it more challenging to find the good stuff in those areas.
If there was an outhouse(es) nearby, or signs of a path to and from the school building, be sure to scan these areas. If you see ground depressions, where a large shade tree may have once stood, but is long gone, check closely all around these. Kids sought out shade on the hot days or climbed trees and hung upside down (emptying their pockets). Any old aerial views of the property might show evidence of a baseball field that might not be obvious when viewed at ground level.
Looking forward to your report after a few detecting visits to this spot. Good luck.

I detected a friends property that had a chimney still standing and some old timbers. it was a one room school house turn of the century for black farm workers kids. we found....NOTHING. nails. the friends grandfather was very old himself and remembers the kids that went there, as they worked on the remnants of the old plantation he worked on himself. he said "What the heck did you think you would find?" "they did not even have shoes half the time. we were all struggling. there wasn't anything to loose.

good luck hope you have better luck than we did.

Good luck if you hunt it!
We have one-room sites here about every square mile, they’ve all been pounded. Several have been demolished over the last 40 years.
A guy here did have luck with one site and over a dozen large cents.
The one spot I did have luck with was a one-room school house built in the 1860’s, nothing left but the barely visible horseshoe shaped drive. A 1970 ranch home on the lot. Gave up an 1864 Indian cent and a couple modern silvers.

Back
Top Bottom