A silver, neat token, and something different

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Ive been pretty busy this week, but was able to get out several times for some detecting therapy. Ive been concentrating my hunts at the local fairgrounds, the old golf course, and my huntin buddys yard thats pre-1900s.

IMG_0920.jpg

I found the 1950D GW about 4" down near the edge of the place the carnies usually park during the rodeo/fair, that occurred here last week. I know that these grounds are old, but that is the oldest coin I have found there so far. Its been a good clad mine, but I havent found even a wheatie there yet.

IMG_0923.jpg

I found the wheat and token last night at the old country club. The token was about 4-5" down, and represents a golf fund raiser for the British War Relief Society.

https://www.usacoinbook.com/item/19...lief-society-national-golf-tournament-236368/

http://homenewshere.com/daily_times...cle_835ddc5e-1e97-11e6-8dae-bb3313cd58f6.html

Its a neat part of local history if the country club sponsored this event, or perhaps someone dropped it that was involved in it somewhere else. From what Ive read, this was a mostly womens tournament that featured a few LPGA pros at the larger venues. It would make sense since I found it near the womens back nine tee box. Articles say it was used as a ball mark on the greens, so Ill keep it and use it as the same to honor those ladies.

IMG_0926.jpg

This last item I found was in the pre 1900s yard of my hunting buddy, but we cant figure out what it was used for. I wonder if it was a homemade plumb bob, while others have suggested a hoop skirt weight, or even part of American Indian jewelry from one of the local tribes who frequented this area at the time. Ill post it in the "what is it" section of the forum to see if anyone has some ideas.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

nice finds, congrats! As for the mystery item, i can’t tell from the photo what material it is. If it’s lead ,and the area has enough history, it’s possible it’s a game piece carved by civil war soldiers from a bullet.

nice finds, congrats! As for the mystery item, i can’t tell from the photo what material it is. If it’s lead ,and the area has enough history, it’s possible it’s a game piece carved by civil war soldiers from a bullet.

Thanks Jare, I believe its lead from the scratch test. Its about the size of a quarter. 1/8" thick as is the diameter of the central hole. Many soldiers were camped here prior to, and after the Custer campaign. Other soldiers were here before that patrolling the Bozeman trail, but in fewer numbers.

Congrats Tommy on the Silver GW and all the rest. Trapper

Thanks Trapper.

Back
Top Bottom