Garrett Pro Pointer vs DetectorPro Pistol probe

Scottygirl

So I've done all my homework and it seems to have come down to the Garrett pro pointer vs the DetectorPro pistol probe. I've seen all the posts about the Garrett, but there didn't seem to be much about the DetectorPro. Is that because it's newer? I will be hunting very small targets at what could possibly be quite a depth. Would you say the pistol probe has the edge? :?:

I will be hunting very small targets at what could possibly be quite a depth. Would you say the pistol probe has the edge? :?:

Yes, being a pulse unit, several inches more depth, probably.

I've seen all the posts about the Garrett, but there didn't seem to be much about the DetectorPro. I

The price is a little higher, and a lot of hunters do not like carrying a tool that can be mistaken for a gun.

For my kind of hunting, the PP is just perfect!
Going too far can sometimes be a disadvantage.

I have both and they are both good Pin Pointers IMO you can't go wrong with either one. The Pistol Probe does have a depth advantage and if you don't need the depth it does have a threshold knob for dialing back the depth. I use a orange rubber tip on my Pistol Probe so as no mistaking it for a gun.

Field use of the Pistol Probe by DirtFishing below:

I'm convinced

Thanks for putting those videos in one spot! After seeing those, and going over more videos of the Garrett, I believe I'll go with the DetectorPro, although it's pricier. Since I'll be looking for Celtic/Roman coins, I think I'll stand a better chance with that. Thanks for everyone's help. HH

I've had both of these probes and for me, the Garrett was the better one. The Pistol Probe I found to be way bigger than I expected. It didn't play nice with my detectors, causing interference and chatter. Any depth over the Garrett wasn't worth the frustration of settings and the awkward size. The Garrett is built like a tank and there is one button...it cleans up like a champ. They both sell well used, buy both if you can and compare while in the field.

-George

The pistol probe seems structurally sound to me and not fragile at all, and is plenty sensitive so there is no need to poke or prod or dig through the dirt with it simply gently wave it over your target area to locate or for a more precise location simply pump the probe tip in an up and down motion over the target area. Being a Pulse unit it requires a little motion to work. There is three adjustments knobs located under a hinged door. I like being able to adjust the depth via the threshold knob, and if you get a little interference with your detector you can simply adjust the frequency knob thus eliminating any interference with your detector, "except minelab e-tracs." The final adjustment knob you can choose to have the probe always on, or press and hold the button down while locating and when the button is released it turn the probe off. You can also choose silent search which only a red led lights and flashes when a target is located and finally you have two choices for volume high and low. The Pistol Probe is not as loud as the Garrett is even on high volume.

The Garrett Pro Pointer is defiantly well built no structural difficulties at all, I like how the sound intensifies the closer you get to the target. The Pro Pointer is not as deep as the Pistol Probe however the Garrett has the ability to Super-tune, adding another 1-2 inches of depth as well as De-tune, allowing you to decrease the sensitivity when needed. The Pro Pointer is also wash proof allowing you to gently rinse away any dirt that you may want to remove, the Pistol Probe is not water proof. The Pistol Probe has more bells and whistles but the Pro Pointer does what it's supposed to do well and is smaller allowing you to carry it more easily.

All total I would say both work well the Garrett is louder the Pistol Probe is deeper, build quality I would give an edge to the Pro Pointer, I would give an edge to the Pistol Probe for it's adjustments, it's really a matter of preference IMO. Hope this helps, good luck and happy hunting.

The pistol probe seems structurally sound to me and not fragile at all, and is plenty sensitive so there is no need to poke or prod or dig through the dirt with it simply gently wave it over your target area to locate or for a more precise location simply pump the probe tip in an up and down motion over the target area. Being a Pulse unit it requires a little motion to work. There is three adjustments knobs located under a hinged door. I like being able to adjust the depth via the threshold knob, and if you get a little interference with your detector you can simply adjust the frequency knob thus eliminating any interference with your detector, "except minelab e-tracs." The final adjustment knob you can choose to have the probe always on, or press and hold the button down while locating and when the button is released it turn the probe off. You can also choose silent search which only a red led lights and flashes when a target is located and finally you have two choices for volume high and low. The Pistol Probe is not as loud as the Garrett is even on high volume.

The Garrett Pro Pointer is defiantly well built no structural difficulties at all, I like how the sound intensifies the closer you get to the target. The Pro Pointer is not as deep as the Pistol Probe however the Garrett has the ability to Super-tune, adding another 1-2 inches of depth as well as De-tune, allowing you to decrease the sensitivity when needed. The Pro Pointer is also wash proof allowing you to gently rinse away any dirt that you may want to remove, the Pistol Probe is not water proof. The Pistol Probe has more bells and whistles but the Pro Pointer does what it's supposed to do well and is smaller allowing you to carry it more easily.

All total I would say both work well the Garrett is louder the Pistol Probe is deeper, build quality I would give an edge to the Pro Pointer, I would give an edge to the Pistol Probe for it's adjustments, it's really a matter of preference IMO. Hope this helps, good luck and happy hunting.
Well said, its good to hear from someone who isn't biased

Great last post. I have both garett is excellent the variable sound is huge for me. But... i use my detectorpro i have done tests in past and a hole i had reading dug about 3" nothing. Sifted with garett in hole nothing. Went with detectorpro same thing found item approx 3" further. Was blown away by it. Wish detectorpro had variable sound but meah. I prefer detector pro unless at beach or water area. Object from hole was 1888 coin btw lol both excellent machines

Hi I have the pistol probe too. It certainly does a decent job when poking it around in the hole. But I really don't like the design of it very much. It's a bit unwieldy, the handle is a little too big to fit in the hand comfortably and I don't really like the placement of the buttons. I'd prefer to be able to switch it on and off with my trigger finger, instead of having to open the back flap each time. Watching people use the pro pointer they certainly seem to have an easier time of grabbing it and using it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom