Let's talk headphones

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
I've never put too much importance in headphones as long as they did the job. I've never been able to justify spending a lot of money when the ones I get for $29 seem to be just fine. I've never needed a volume control on my headphones so I'm trying to decide what I have to gain by buying one of those expensive names like Rat, Killer Bee's, Gray Ghost.

I've been trying to compare specs, because I'm the type that needs to see some proof on a piece of paper, but some of them just make no sense and some don't bother putting any specs. I see some have a noise reduction spec which I see as valuable, but most of the big guns either don't have it listed or are lower than the others. The highest I saw was on the Accusound Pros with a external noise reduction of 30db.

I see some big name headphones with a very thin frequency response. The claim was "it is all a detector uses." Cheaper ones had frequency responses of 20-20,000 htz while some high end only had 200-3200 htz. Whats up with that? I kind of like the low end response. And the Sensitivity. The louder the better I've always felt. I wanna hear those faint signals. That same Accusound Pro has a sensitivity DB rating of 91db to the 72db of most the other big guns.

I'm looking at maybe getting a high end set of phones but I want to know why I should. I'd like to see the specs of some of these big name brands but it seems they choose not to disclose that info?

I use the ''Hornet'' by Killer B's, Headphones.
Honestly,I have had nothing else to compare them to since these are the first pair I have ever used.

However, I can tell you they are comfortable,high quality, work extremely well and are pretty much hand made by a guy in Ga.

My detector guy says that almost everyone he knows over there in Ga. uses these and they are all experienced, big time relic hunters and have videos posted all over you tube.

Also, they are said to have a no questions asked lifetime warranty, which is a big reason I chose these.

I like to buy things once.

HH

I had a pair of Accusound headphones that I paid $99. dollars for, I used them for about 5 years, they were ok, but they made my ears hurt after about an hour of use (ear muffs to small)..I ended up giving them to a friend & bought a pair of Koss UR-30 headphones for $29. They work just as good and are very comfortable, And I can still hear the deep targets just as good..Heres the specs for the UR-30's..
Weight: 12 oz
Frequency Response: 18-20,000 Hz
Impedance: 100 ohms
Sensitivity: 101 dBSPL/1mW
Distortion: <0.2%

I build headphones, and I never put much into them also. That is until I built my first high end pair. I will never have a substandard pair ever again. Once you experience a great set of headphones, you will understand why people spend high dollars on them. It's comparable to a home stereo system, listen to a Bose setup and then a cheap setup. You can notice the difference right away, and that's the same thing with a set of headphones. I build them with amps also, and then we are talking a whole different story, the ones with an amp really produce sound, metal detectors aren't setup to make much sound, but if you listen to a metal detector with a nice set of headphones and an amp, there is a difference a major difference. The once high tone was just a high tone, but with the right headphone and amp the high tone now produces a sound that is much different. But I feel that if you spent $1500.00 on a metal detector spend the $150.00 to $200.00 on a headphone and amp, it's worth the money in the end. If you want PM me and I can educate you more on headphones. I have headphones that have a 30+ db rating of blocking out noise. Those are nice. But anyways PM me and I can give you more info on most of the higher end set's, I have most of the info on them, if I can still find the the papers.

I wouldn't have a problem spending $150 - $200 on a good set of headphones If I could see it on paper. I do have a little understanding about the specs so I have some idea as to what to expect and I'm just not seeing it on paper.

I've got a nice set of Audio-Technica ATH-M50's I use in my recording studio and have tried them on my detector. I love the full sound I get compared to the thin response from some other well known detector phones, but they are just not built for outside use. They list for $200 and have a frequency response of 15-28,000 HTZ and rated at 99DB sensitivity which is pretty good for faint sounds. Of course they don't have a noise reduction spec because they are not designed for outside use. I'd be happy to pay for a good set, but very few even give the specs, and I'm not thrilled about dishing out $200 for a pot-luck set of headphones that aren't any better then my $29 ones.

Sun Ray Pro Gold Headphones

I had the Garret headphones. In a trade I picked up a set of White headphones that worked very well with my XLT. One day I had a chance to try on a Sun Ray Pro Gold set. I then bought the Sun Ray Pro Gold. I've got a degree in electronics and I've seen all the hype and highlighting of produict specs. My advice is to not pay any serious change without first trying them.

Here is the sales specs promo for the Sun Ray set.

Bill

-----------------------
NEW SUN RAY PRO GOLD HEADPHONES

NEW IMPROVED COILED CABLE!

Sun Ray Detector Electronics is proud to introduce our new Sun Ray Pro "Gold" Headphones. We decided to offer a high quality set of professional headphones without the highest price! Plus we have now added even more new features making these the premier metal detector headphones on the market today!! The Sun Ray Pro "Gold" version are manufactured according to the following specifications:

High output 150 ohm (nominal impedance) speaker elements which are certified as hearing aid compatible and are sensitive enough to pick up even the faintest of signals. Aluminum case construction with polymer cones for moisture and sweat protection.

Dual multi position "segmented or detent" volume controls with NEW BLACK & YELLOW KNOBS for that "Sun Ray" look!.

"New" Enhanced Limiter Circuit with on/off switch (left side). (For more pronounced reduction in loud blasts from surface targets, while allowing the faintest of signal responses to be clearly heard. Limiter results will vary from one detector model to another.)

Mode selector switch (right side) makes the new Sun Ray Pros compatible with most metal detectors.

NEW TOGGLE SWITCH BOOTS keep moisture and dirt out of toggle switches!
"New" comfortable, lightweight dual swivel point ear cups with all "new" soft leather muffs.

The new foam padded soft leather muffs are not only more comfortable than the earlier vinyl muffs, they do not develop a "memory". They conform to the shape of your head around your ears when worn and when taken off return to their original shape! Vinyl which normally has a life expectancy of (3) three years can get harder with time and the elements, which can cause a less comfortable fit as well as a noticeable increase in ambient (outside) noise. The former version of the Sun Ray Pros yield a 24 decibel reduction in ambient noise blocking ability when new. The new Sun Ray Pro "Gold" version yields a 26 decibel reduction in ambient noise blocking ability and continues to block that noise day in and day out, year in and year out because they stay soft and comfortable!

Adjustable leather headband.

NEW!! Custom engineered coil cable for more dependability and longer life! Here are some of the new features of the new cable:
New polyureathane jacket for better memory retention of coils vs. the previous PVC cable!

More than 3X the number of copper strands (than previous cable) for more resistance to breakage!

New cable coil is 20" retracted vs 13" on previous cable.

Overall length of new cable is 32". Extended length approx. 18" longer than previous cable!

New "multidirectional" strain relief flex vs 2 directional on previous cable!

New cable jacket inserts fully into 1/4" molded, right angle plug vs previous cable.

EXTERNAL STRAIN RELIEF and 1/4" right angle, molded GOLD PLATED PLUG!

The new Sun Ray Pros will deliver a crisp audio response with volume to spare!

Same Limited Lifetime Warranty!

Free Shipping (Continental US only)
----------------------------------

Am I the only one that just wants something durable and comfortable? I never even look at the "specs". I just want something built like a brick Sh!thouse and I can beat around. The "cheap" ones are just that, built cheap.

I love the original gray ghost, best metal detecting accessory I have ever bought. They are built tough, are the most comfortable headphones I have ever put on and don't seem to be effected by the environment or sweat. As long as I can hear a beep I am happy, I don't need all the subtle buzzing and chirps, I just need a beep so I can dig.

I honestly didn't see the any benefits of using the "top shelf" headphones over the less expensive ones. I used a set of $20.00 ones from Radio Shack for years, then a $40.00 set of White's for along time. I tried the Killer B's/Ratphones/Sunray Pro Gold/etc. after reading the hype about them, they were all good phones but didn't do anything over the cheaper ones I have used. I prefer the DetectorPro Jolly Rogers which I now use and are $70.00 brand new. Steve.

they were all good phones but didn't do anything over the cheaper ones I have used.

Kind of what I was wondering. When looking at the specs I just don't see the difference. Now the noise reduction spec I can see as important. I don't know what the specs are on my White's Spectra Phones but I can tell they have a very good noise reduction rating. Things get very quiet when you put them on.

No offense to anyone here but I don't see myself spending more money than a decent pair of Koss headphones cost for my Bounty Hunter to shoot tot lots. I love music and sound and I would plunk down some bucks on a set of Beats by Dr. Dre (MONSTER) or a nice set of BOSE or any other high end ones. But to spend $200 just listen to the 3-4 tones a detector makes that just doesn't make sense to me.

I can see the value in some of the specs, I just can't see why the big guns don't make them known.

Sensitivity, rated by DB/SPL, is crucial for hearing those very faint signals. It tells you how much volume/DB you get from x-amount of signal input. The higher the rating, the better you could hear faint signals.

Noise reduction is the rating of the pads/phones ability to block outside noise which can make hearing faint signals easier.

Frequency response is the range of frequencies the phones can reproduce. It is probably more personal preference than performance, but I like hearing those really low nuances to help me determine a target. I hate that thin sound you get from some headphones.

I have recently acquired a pair of Sunray Golds that came with a detector purchase off ebay,I started with no phones and did great, found rings, silver,etc., well windy days, the beach, and noisy roads encouraged me to walk the path of the phones, so off to radio shack for a cheep pair of Koss, they worked, I could hear tones, they fit on my head, but I soon became annoyed with them as they didn't keep the wind out, and at times I felt like there was something crawling in my in my ear :shock:, while searching for a budget priced pair of more detector orientated phones I found a great deal on a Shadow X5/SunRay gold combo, I have been looking for a good relic detector so I placed a bid and won, well compared to the low end Koss($29.99),, the used SunRays rock,I can say I have payed much more for this type life lesson, the SunRays opened up a whole new dimension for me, and they keep out the wind and other bothersome noise without impeding noise you want to hear, i.e, a semi racing toward you out of control, a frenzied mob, rabid gorilla, etc., I have never owned any other phones other than the ones that come with an ipod so I am definitely not an expert, but in my limited field experience I would say there is a big difference between the two aforementioned types,cheap Koss and SunRay gold, sunrays are customizable to your hearing and will not hurt your ears due to small ear pads, and they are light and did I mention durable, I am not trying to sell you this particular brand, just pointing out another difference in the two, the detector phones are built tougher for field use, other phones are for easy listening :music:. Well I hope my rambling helped and/or entertained :cool:

There are some really good headphones out there, Killer Bs, Grey Ghost etc. but I believe the Ratphones are the very best because when you match all the componets used, they are on top.
RatPhones Features
Cannot be beat

*Sealed high power controls with tight rotation feel and high reliability over 25,000 life cycles.
*Field replaceable tough polyurethane cable.
*Multi-Machine compatible.
*Pro-Leather Cushions that will never harden provide excellent isolation and comfort.
*Aerospace Teflon wiring (600V/200°C)
*No switches needed. Just reverse cable ends!
*Compatible with both parallel tip-ring (Tesoro, Troy, Whites) and series tip-ring machines. (Minelab, Garrett, Fisher).
*Mono capable on stereo machines (Nautilus).
*20Hz to 20Khz natural response and loud!
*Rare earth cobalt speakers.
*Fully Foldable design for compact carry or storage.
*Sensitivity 117db at 1mW
*SNR rating 28db for high super quiet noise isolation.
*270 ohms (285 single, 300 EX), 600 ohm speakers.
*Dual low profile molded right angle plugs.
*Cable length 3 to 12 ft. (retracted/extended)
*Quality jack with gold plated contacts.
*Head weight 10.72 ounces. That's 1.28 Oz lighter than other brands and you still get the full 28db cup.
*Lifetime limited warranty!
*Custom stereo, filter or limiter available.
*Complete with warranty, instructions & Rat tail.

RatPhones
Single Volume
(One control adjusts both sides)
List $105.82

$94
See Dealers

Single volume Ratphones have the same great performance and speakers as dual volume Ratphones with a little more volume. (Just a little).
If you don't need to adjust for hearing in your left or right ears, go single volume for quicker adjustment in the field.

1/8 inch
Adapter
Minelab XS
$6

This adapter will not be obstructed by the battery cover. The 7" length also prevents stress on your jack.

Not your typical cable!

Our custom molded cords must be the best headphone cord in the industry. Not only do they expand to at least 12 feet, but they have a polyurethane jacket rather than inexpensive soft PVC. This means you can stretch them beyond that and they still bounce back like new, time and time again!
Long enough to stand up and dig, and small enough when recoiled to stay out of the way. The extra long straight ends of the coil (tangents) wont get tangled up with your clothing either.
They can now be used on a stereo machine to hear in mono. Something not possible before with a multi-compatible mono headphones. You will hear both channels in both sides.

This is from an old post of mine but I still feel the same way about them and I am not sure you can even find a pair anymore. Rumor has it they will soon have more out?

Somebody already posted the Sunray Gold spec's so I won't do it again. I use them and love em. They're comfortable and sound great!

No offense to anyone here but I don't see myself spending more money than a decent pair of Koss headphones cost for my Bounty Hunter to shoot tot lots. I love music and sound and I would plunk down some bucks on a set of Beats by Dr. Dre (MONSTER) or a nice set of BOSE or any other high end ones. But to spend $200 just listen to the 3-4 tones a detector makes that just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree. For music I would get a high end set. For detecting I don't see it, however as detector has stated noise reduction would be a big benefit in this application.

I agree. For music I would get a high end set. For detecting I don't see it, however as detector has stated noise reduction would be a big benefit in this application.

Sunray Gold has a huge amount of noise reduction. I can't even hear my wife when I snap them on!

Sunray Gold has a huge amount of noise reduction. I can't even hear my wife when I snap them on!

Now you're talking about a very useful set of headphones that I might get! :yes:

I've had 4 sets of phones and the limiter on any pair is a huge plus for me. See if you can place an add for a used set of Rat phone MSA's. There should not be any new ones any more I wouldn't think. You will love them and if you don't I'll buy them from you at the price you paid period. Very comfortable, "air tight" big muffs for big ears and big enough to fit people like you and I with big brains!

Back
Top Bottom