Best coin rolls to find cool coins in?

Arisaka

Elite Member
I'm starting to get into CRH but I was wondering what are the best coin rolls (nickles,quarters,pennies ,dimes,halves) for finding unique coins or foregin coins? Like what are the odds of finding indian heads or buffalo nickles?

You should post this in "whats the value" for better response. This is not the correct area for this thread...

Well.....many people say CRH half dollars. But SO MANY halves have been sorted through it makes wonder if quarters would contain more silver. Since so many people have CRH'ed halves I think you should try quarters.

Cents are good to look through for wheat pennies.

Next up are dimes, since people don't mess with them and they are tiny.

I think your odds of finding a silver quarter are VERY low. It seems like folks have the best luck with halves followed by dimes.

Personally, I hunt mostly nickels and halves.
Nickels usually yield at least 1 silver out of a box and even if it doesn't, you will surely get 20-30 pre-1950 coins. I also usually get at least 1 from the 30's in every box. I have found a couple buffalo's as well, and I have a couple friends who have also found some buffalo's. They are out there.

I focus on halves at Christmas, many do not know about the 40% silvers so you can get some of those sometimes, and you can get lucky and get some 90% as well. Plus, there are some other halves that are worth more than face value. 1987, 2002-present are all not intended for circulation and were released for collectors in mint sets only. "S" mint mark coins as well are found sometimes.

I dabble in all denominations and I agree with boomer, you are not going to find many silver quarters. I have only ever found 1.

Dimes in my area do not produce silver very often, but i hear other areas of the country get a few out of every box.

Pennies get me between 10-20 wheat pennies per box, but I have never found an Indian (oldest was a 1919 wheat)

This is all subjective, you will have to dabble and find out what you like, but after searching hundreds of boxes, I'm a nickle/Half guy followed by pennies, then dimes, then quarters.

What denomination you pick should depend on what interests you. If you're strictly in it for the silver, I'd suggest halves, nickels, and possibly dimes.
If you've got a favorite denomination then go that route.
I personally really enjoy searching cents.
Here's the primer I wrote.

1987, 2002-present are all not intended for circulation and were released for collectors in mint sets only. "S" mint mark coins as well are found sometimes.

KT read somewhere that the dates for halves you listed were as you said not intended for circulation and sold to coin dealers in $1000 bags only. The dealers go through them cherry picking the high graders MS 95 or above and dump the rest on the market (at a bank)...that is how they get in circulation. As for Proofs, those have to have been broken out of Proof sets and are all S mint marks...Ps and Ds on those other bagged halves are the norm...San Francisco has not made anything but proof set coins for quite a while...although there are some S mints that are not proofs that were put in UNC sets for sale through the Mint during those years so you may find a few that are not proofs too. KT has yet to find one of them tho.

Back
Top Bottom