ETRAC: Sunray X-8 and FBS 800

TheCoilist

Elite Member
So just got the etrac and finally got to go out with it. As soon as I got it a short while back the weather here has been horrible and work got busy. Anyway, had a few hours with it yesterday and must say that the OEM coil that comes with it was not very ideal for the locations that I search because of heavy trash. Even with the suggested settings it was mixed signal central. I found some cool little relics deep in the ground, but NO COINS, not even clad. However, the AT Pro with 5x8 coil blew away the ETRAC this day with finding coins in the trashy park.

So all that considered. I need a smaller coil. These are the coils I am looking at.

8x6 SEF coil - $149.95

Sunray X-8 coil - $205.00

Minelab 8" FBS Coil - $284.00

Pricing isn't a concern at the moment, but I am looking for the BEST of these. I have not seen anyone mention the Minelab coil very much, nor the X-8 as they seem to be more going for the x-5 but that is a bit small for my tastes I believe. The 8X6 has had a few good reviews. But there are only a couple of threads on this site that mention some of these coils in regards to others. I am looking for these specific coils. If anyone has reviewed these or has videos of these in action, please link me!!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Are the 8x5 SEF coils exclusive to KellyCo? I can't seem to find them anywhere else. I am just curious as to how that works because it's very limiting on actual research and pricing options.

All SEF coils come through the Big Kco for the US. You can order direct from Europe, but they are no cheaper.

I am in the same boat as you. Got the Etrac on it's way from Bart. I am thinking of going with either the Sunray or NEL Sharpshooter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujaJWgDM02w

6 x 8 coil

I have a 6 x 8 sef coil on my safari, and its an awesome coil. Been hearing a bit of positives on the nel sharpshooter as well.

All SEF coils come through the Big Kco for the US. You can order direct from Europe, but they are no cheaper.

I am in the same boat as you. Got the Etrac on it's way from Bart. I am thinking of going with either the Sunray or NEL Sharpshooter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujaJWgDM02w

I was leaning towards the Sunray X-8 but you threw this curveball at me. That NEL looks like it could be a pretty sweet unit. Not much on youtube demonstrating it on the etrac though!

6x8 Sef

i ordered the 6x8 sef last week,they are on back order from Bugaria,great in trash,iron,good depth,Gb nice,also got the 6dd excellerator also,the sunray's are good but going with the hottest thing ,everyone seem's to really like them,good reviews on the 6x8 are great,the 10x12 seems to be to close to the etracs 11dd pro to buy one of those,the larger coil's are really heavy but i herd the 12x15 gets another inch than the 10x12,so in my line outward journey it's Etrac 6dd exc,8x6sef,11ddpro, F75se 5dd,4x6,11dd,15dd, Cz70pro 8 spider, 12.5 sunray invader ,love those small coil's for small heavy trash & sidewalk strip's,hard to get area's,heavy brush,i will love the 8x6 sef in school yard's and park's were there is alot of iron trash ,happy hunting hope you get the 8x6 i think you will like it, Goodmore i herd the NEL's dont ground balance,but i might be wrong,the stock 11dd pro coil is great,get the 8x6 and if you like the little coils the 6dd exc,outward the sunray 5 is good to i here,Earl

coils

Had the SEF 6X8 on a MXT and wasn't that impressed so when I bought my Etrac, went with the Sunray X8. The X8 is a very good coil and still gets good depth and makes the unit feel lighter. A buddy has the SEF 6X8 on his Etrac and likes it. It's all a matter of personal choice, either one is good.

I am looking to go smaller, but the x5 seems a little too small. 8" is right in the middle. From 11" to 8" should get me where I need to be. I came across this channel on youtube. and he goes through a handful of etrac coils. Very nice testing unit he has to. anyone know if he is a member of this forum?

http://www.youtube.com/user/TreasureBarrel/videos

If I am not mistaken, it looks like the Sunray X-8 out performed both the minelab unit and the SEF 8x6

If you don't want to see the earth box demonstrations in the videos above, here are the basic results. But watch the videos to see what the settings were he was running.

Buried DIME tests in soil:

8x6 SEF - 6.5" depth max

6" DD excelerator EQ2 - 6.5" depth max

Minelab FBS 800 - 6.5" depth max

Sunray X-8 - 8.5" depth max

Okay, so the 8x6 is OUT. I was not pleased with the details I have seen I guess.

After chatting with Bart at BBH. I am considering the FBS 800 and the Sun Ray X-8. I am narrowing it down. These two will cost me roughly the same price. However, the FBS 800 is approximately 7.5" diameter from what I am reading and the X-8 is closer to 8". The depth difference that I have seen is approximately 1.5" difference. However, FBS 800 is a Minelab product... does that account for anything? :?:

Sunray X-8

FBS 800

Ironically the X8 did better than the 800 from what I saw in that video. I have the X5 and so far been impressed with it. Because of the weather I havent been able to test it a whole lot yet. But I did pick up clads easier in trash, so that was much better. Im thinking I might get the X8 later as a mid range coil later.

I just think the X5 would be TOO small. I mean that's smaller than the palm of your hand. I like the 8" area because if it's good enough, I might make it my main coil and the 11" be my wide open coil. As I rarely find time to get out to the fields. Mostly yards and parks in older areas. The issue I run into is fill dirt. Usually at least a few inches of fill dirt. So it must penetrate through that into older grounds below.

I saw this test before. I am not trying to make more out of the Etrac than it is. But some of my best detecting comes with the soil wet. That dirt looks dry to me. And no matter how tight that stick slides in and out there is an air gap. I know this test is for reference only and all detectors are treated the same. But I know that BBS and FBS machines do not like fresh plowed fields. So I think these coils will perform better in natural conditions. Just my two cents. It gives you an idea which coil is hotter, but the numbers I think will be different. So don't walk around thinking your coil is only good for six inches.

A very neat box and easy to do testing with it. I already complimented the builder on another site.

So you don't believe that the test is accurate? There is quite a bit of play between the two though. from 6.5 inches to 8 inches is quite a big difference with a small coil even in an 'air test' or non compact soil, or mineralized or not mineralized soil.

According to Minelab's site and their coil guide, the FBS 800 is NOT a mineralized soil friendly coil. Without doing a spectrum analysis on my soil, god only knows what he decided to lay down around my area. LOL, that is one of my concerns as well...

Test

That video from what i saw is allmost like air testing,it had one target,not multibale target's that require seperation id ,different soil conditions,proper ground balancing,i wouldn't be suprized if someone was paid by sunray to pump up the sens,when testing the sunray,did you see the setting's no,just the coil over one target test,i could do what he did and make a manufacturer's coil appear to be the best to,not to mention different coil's perform differently, on different machine's,like i have herd the sef coil's dont perform the best on the whites:my2cents::imo:

True, but somewhere you have to trust someone or fly blind. From what I am hearing the reviews are mixed with all three of my original thoughts. The 8x6 SEF seems to be the "hot" thing right now... again. Everyone has a favorite and in most cases it's because that's what they own and not what they've used.

How long is the backorder of the SEF coil surf?

I have the X-5 and it is deadly in trash. The separation is just nuts. If you want to get together sometime I will let you give it a test drive. It's small size is actually an advantage in many situations like hunting in the brush where big coils can't fit.

Accurate test

i would say the far way to give the most accurate test,:agreed: is go with 5 guy's running the same machine & setting's,testing the different coil's on the same target's,the only variation would be as if one machine was tweeked a bit better from the factory,i am sure the Sunray's are good,sef's,minelab's,i guess if all of them want to keep us guessing,they would loose bussiness in coil sale's ,just like detector's:laughing::goodpost Outward Journey,should get the 6dd Excelerator coil tomorrow,the 6x8 sef,is on back order,i will let you all know how i like them,Journey if you go with the 5 or 8 sunray let me know what you think,i went 6dd solid ,8x6 sef,11dd pro for my etrac,i think i will like all 3,the true test is out in the field,no test box,happy hunting,Earl

I have both the Sunray X8 and the 8x6 SEF coils. You can't go wrong with either of those two coils. I have found deep silver in heavy trash with both of them. Flip a coin......

Raphis
Dan

I agree that the posted video tests are not the same as real in-ground targets. However, it does do more than simple air testing. If the box is filled with local soil, then you are getting the local mineralization effect. What you are not getting is the benefit of the coin in direct soil contact and having some amount of halo around it.

I almost think this is showing the worst possible outcomes. If you can find a coin at 7 inches in the box then you have no problem with 7 inches in real hunting. I think it would give an honest comparison for testing different coils or different settings.

Back
Top Bottom