"Sepcial" headphones & "whispers"

Buckaneer

I posted this response to someone else's similar topic, but thought it would also be helpful as its own starting thread. Sorry for the duplication, but I thought it might be helpful for the new people:

I could go into a huge dissertation about whether anyone actually NEEDS a pair of $200 earmuff-type headphones that close out all sound around you to hear those mythical "whispers," but I won't. Because 1) A decent $25-50 pair of open-air style Walkman headphones or even earbuds will do you just fine AND let your hear those so-called "whispers" you'll hear with "closed air" -- or earmuff -- headphones just the same, and 2) Whether you hear "whispers" in the first place -- even wearing a $5000 pair of headphones -- will depend on your sensitivity setting at that particular moment, NOT the price or quality of your headphones.

The only HUGE difference between the big muff headphones dedicated to detecting and the everyday Walkman or earbud headphones is that the big muff headphones have a WAY thicker and springy (far more durable) wire that plugs into your detector than the spaghetti-thin wire of the Walkman-style or earbuds. Those spaghetti-thin wires are pretty fragile and easy to break. That's going to be a HUGE factor if you spend a lot of time in the woods. Plus you're going to need a 1/8"-to-1/4" plug-in adapter from Radio Shack to use non-detecting, normal-everyday headphones. Thick detector headphone plugs come in 1/8" size. Tiny-thin everyday headphones come in 1/4" size.

Still THE ONLY BOTTOM LINE for any headphone -- regardless of manufacturer, shape, or size -- is whether your detector's operating frequency -- or "what it's saying" -- matches whether your headphones are able to "hear" what it's saying. Unless the two agree, it doesn't matter how much you spend on whatever type of headphone.

So in short, here's a simplified scientific fact: A $25 pair of Best Buy headphones whose frequency response is listed on the packaging (usually on the back somewhere) between 15-25,000 Hz is going to hear EVERY signal just the same -- no matter how loud or how "whispered" -- as a $5000 pair of headphones. That's because a detector whose operating signal is 10.5 kHz (which is where 99% of all of our "regular" detectors work) is only putting out 10500 Hz of "sound" for headphones to "hear," and the higher-frequency gold prospecting detectors working at 14.5 kHz are only putting out 14500 Hz for headphones to "hear."

So a $5000 pair of muff headphones with a 15-25,000 Hz rating that basically makes you deaf to anything except the tiniest of detector signals isn't going to make you actually hear *more* signals than a $25 pair of Best Buy Walkman-type headphones with the same 15-25,000 Hz rating.

So what's all this headphone "whisper" business? It's by and large all just a business -- AND -- largely reliant on not just where your sensitivity dial is set in conjunction with your discrimination dial (remember, the two dials are inter-dependent on each other), but ALSO whether you're using muff headphones, open-air Walkmans, or even earbuds.

For all intents and purposes, those "whispers" we hear mentioned so often are just tiny, quick -- sometimes almost indistinguishable -- tiny skips of static or crackle we hear in our headphones. Sometimes we hear them from signals that are at the *very outer edge* of our detector's depth capability in that particular dirt. But most times, it comes from signals that are at the very outer edge of wherever we have our detector's sensitivity setting at the moment on that hunk of dirt. An square-head iron nail at 8" down that barely gets a "whisper" crackle on a detector whose Disc is set at 4 and Sens is set at 5 will sound out pretty clear from the same detector whose Disc dial is set at 1 and Sens dial set at 2.

In my experience -- want a really good set of really good bare-bones headphones that won't break your bank? Try these two:
1) Koss Porta Pro, around $50 (http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PortaPro)
2) The very thin and light JVC muff-type (which are, like, 99/100th the size of those typical, huge muff-type "detecting headphones," which I am using now and hear EVERYTHING as far as those "whispers" go and are better at canceling out background noise than the Koss Porta-Pros at less than half the price ($20) -- BUT still lets you hear most everything around you; great for beach and park hunting) and available at any Best Buy or Walmart in your neighborhood: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+Fl...&skuId=9182779

There ya go. Simple and easy.

I've used whatever was available for some 30+ years until a month ago when I got a pair of Killer B's. I've always wanted to try a pair of higher end headphones but just could never bring myself to pay $100 for a pair. LOL I can justify paying $1,000 or more for a detector but not $100 for headphones. I was in the market for headphone when the Killer B's came up at a reasonable price so I splurged($65) and bought them.

First thing I noticed when trying them on was the sound isolation properties and the fit. Without even plugging them in to my detector I could tell they would improve my detecting. I know the value of hearing whispers and these headphones will improve that.

I disagree with you on the headphone thing. It's not only whispers. Did you ever try detecting in a 30 mph wind at the beach? You ever try detecting when it is windy and 30 degrees? Did you know that good quality headphones have a volume limiter and keep your ears from bleeding on surface blasts? You can be cheap on the headphones if you want to. But whispers are not the only thing quality headphones are about. And the pair you recommend are 50.00. For another 75.00 you have a great quality pair. As already stated you spend 1000.00 on a Sovereign GT. You are going to let 75.00 keep you from a better hunt on the beach? Not me. :?:

And most quality headphones are the product of trial and error used during detector hunts. The right angle plug. The thick coiled cord to keep brush from destroying them. The length of cord needed to put your detector down. The firmness of the fit to keep the darn things from being pulled or just sliding off your head. The individual volume control for each ear. I would gladly pay 75.00 just to keep from reaching up and adjusting the position of my headphones every 2 minutes. My RATS stay on my head just fine.

I've used whatever was available for some 30+ years until a month ago when I got a pair of Killer B's. I've always wanted to try a pair of higher end headphones but just could never bring myself to pay $100 for a pair. LOL I can justify paying $1,000 or more for a detector but not $100 for headphones. I was in the market for headphone when the Killer B's came up at a reasonable price so I splurged($65) and bought them. First thing I noticed when trying them on was the sound isolation properties and the fit. Without even plugging them in to my detector I could tell they would improve my detecting. I know the value of hearing whispers and these headphones will improve that.

Doesn't matter -- your 3-pound Killer Bs that you'll be sweating your head off under all summer long will hear the EXACT SAME "whispers" as my way-lighter foam-padded $20 JVC headphones from Best Buy because your detector is pushing out the *exact same* 10.5 kHz signal as my $150 Tesoro, and your Killer B's are "hearing" the same exact 10500 Hz signal as my $20 JVCs. And my $20 cheap plastic JVCs are canceling out the same sound as your Killer Bs.

If YOU like 'em and you think they work better for you, great! Money well spent, everyone likes what they likes. Not to detract anything from any headphone company sponsors in this forum, but Killer Bs were all the $500 rage in, like, 1995. So good deal on your $65 splurge. I still think you paid about $40 more than you had to for something new down at Best Buy. But AGAIN -- this is just me.

In some instances -- like with my Tesoro which *does not* give you any volume control thru ANY headphone when you turn on the detector, or in the field -- an more-expensive headphone that gives you that kind of individual control is well wroth the way-extra money. And on top of that, I'm deaf in one ear since childhood who only hears the MD'ing world in mono rather than stereo, which is a whole 'nother story.

But here's the funny thing when anyone talks about "sound isolation": "Sound islolation ONLY comes from whether a pair of headphones look like those big-honkin' foam-padded things everyone was listening to Pink Floyd records or not 40 years ago.

But even more useful, try hearing a giant tree branch above your head cracking off and falling on your head and killing you dead. So now what's more important to ya?

Everyone buys what they likes. Just sayin'. And I'm just sayin' high quality in this hobby doesn't need to cost *that* much, even there ARE places where you DO need to spend more. Like digging tools and such ....

I disagree with you on the headphone thing. It's not only whispers. Did you ever try detecting in a 30 mph wind at the beach? You ever try detecting when it is windy and 30 degrees?

Yes, this is VERY true -- and actually the one complaint I have with my $20 muff-type JVCs compared with the $50 Koss Porta Pros, which I used for almost 10 years without a single wind-noise problem whatsoever.

The periodic even small wind noise in the JVCs sound like ghosts or something are "talking and rumbling" in my head -- but even there, I hear even the tiniest of crackle clearly above that. I never *ever* had that problem with the Koss Porta-Pro, bu the problem with those is the the sweat from my head degraded the huge blue foam foamy things around my ears. And replacing them once a year or so got a bit expensive since Koss doesn't make replacement blue foam ear thingies.

Um, excuse me everyone, BUT --

I think we're getting away from the basic premise of whether a $250 pair of headphones is -- based on a detector's frequency output and a set of headphone's frequency input -- to actually be able to "hear" the tiny little crackles and things that account for those "whispers" in the first place -- no matter how expensive or inexpensive a pair of headphones are, or who makes 'em.

Jeez yeah -- fill your headphones with enough foam rubber and duct tape them tight against your head with 500 miles of duct tapes if you want to block out the sound of the world or even the sound of you breathing (which is where this debate seems to be going) -- but the SIMPLE FACT OF THE MATTER IS: a cheap-arse pair of plastic kiddie headphones able to pick up anything in the 15-25,000 Hz range is STILL going to "hear" the exact SAME tiny-little signals in the 15-25,000 Hz range as a $300 pair of headphones.

And really, I thought that THIS was the basic issue here. Basic performance. Like Consumer Reports and all that.

Simple solution for everyone

I foresee this thread dragging on for days. Simple solution for all you newbies: You can buy yourself a heavy, hot pair of dedicated metal detecting headphones that'll do everything but pick your nose for, like $200 and have big thick curly cable and such.

Or you can buy yourself a pair of really nice pair of Koss Porta Pros (http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PortaPro) for $50. Or you can buy yourself a nice cheap little pair of JVC muff headphones for less than half that (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+Fl...&skuId=9182779)

Whatever. It's up to you. I really don't care. You're the one who has have to live with yourself and your choices.

I foresee this thread dragging on for days. Simple solution for all you newbies: You can buy yourself a heavy, hot pair of dedicated metal detecting headphones that'll do everything but pick your nose for, like $200 and have big thick curly cable and such.

Or you can buy yourself a pair of really nice pair of Koss Porta Pros (http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PortaPro) for $50. Or you can buy yourself a nice cheap little pair of JVC muff headphones for less than half that (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+Fl...&skuId=9182779)

Whatever. It's up to you. I really don't care. You're the one who has have to live with yourself and your choices

I seem to live very well with my decision and my choice, thank you.

My Killer B's are not heavy feeling, do not heat up my ears in 100 degree heat, which actually surprised me, and even though I can hear pretty much most of the same signals with my cheaper pairs on two different detectors, the sound of the tones are fuller...they have more dimension to them.
This is not just because of the ear-muff style, the tones are actually different, to my ear, anyway.
Well worth the $100 I paid for them, (that was band new, by the way, with a lifetime warranty), and I have read dozens of other threads and opinions from very experienced detectorists that used some very good cheaper ones for years and then switched to higher end and are very glad they did.

True, all your numbers and frequency response data and everything else dictates everything should be the same on an even playing field, logically thinking, but in the real world, actual experience is sometimes different.
Indian head pennies show up as zinc, as another example.

Thanks for your opinion, but I think me and lots of others that have actually used both price ranges, low and high, well, we have a different one.

Doesn't matter -- your 3-pound Killer Bs that you'll be sweating your head off under all summer long will hear the EXACT SAME "whispers" as my way-lighter foam-padded $20 JVC headphones from Best Buy because your detector is pushing out the *exact same* 10.5 kHz signal as my $150 Tesoro, and your Killer B's are "hearing" the same exact 10500 Hz signal as my $20 JVCs. And my $20 cheap plastic JVCs are canceling out the same sound as your Killer Bs.

That's BS. You aren't supposed to hook up your HEADPHONES to the coil output; you're supposed to use the audio output, where you will most certainly NOT get 10.5kHz output unless your MD is seriously broken. To put this another way, would you expect to get 19kHz speaker output from a Tek G2? or 70+kHz from an average gold detector? :roll:

The frequency response of sound drivers is dependent on design, materials and construction, all of which differ between manufacturers, usually based on price and intended use. For example- headphones designed for a telephone headset generally have the strongest frequency response curve in typical voice frequency range. All-purpose music speakers typically have a wider, flatter curve. I would expect that Killer Bees have the best response in the 300Hz-1kHz range- but I really don't know. Neither do you apparently. Even when/if you do test these other headphones there may easily be a difference that you are not capable of hearing.

Believe it or not there's actual science behind speaker design these days.

So in short, here's a simplified scientific fact: A $25 pair of Best Buy headphones whose frequency response is listed on the packaging (usually on the back somewhere) between 15-25,000 Hz is going to hear EVERY signal just the same -- no matter how loud or how "whispered" -- as a $5000 pair of headphones.

The headphones might hear the signal produced, but the headphones have to relay the sound information to you with out being adulterated. That is where the ability of higher end headphones comes in. People have different hearing. Myself, I have been blessed with Tinnitus. My hunting buddy has different hearing in each ear. The fact that a twenty dollar pair produces the same sound frequencies is irrelevant to actual hunting needs. If you are happy with what you hunt with then that is wonderful. I also like what I use.

Please don't flame me...

I got the Garrett Easy Stow headphones with a volume control (didn't see that mentioned here) and am glad I did. The headphones only cost 20 bucks, they are comfortable and they don't have wind noise issues, and I've been on the beach on some windy days. What's more, they do a decent job of blocking out the surf noise too. I believe these headphones were designed for use with my detector, I like them, they work quite well for me, AND they were a good price. To me that's all that counts.

Koss

I use these cheap s.o.b's that I got in college for free. I've had them for 3 years or so. Never used them until I got into metal detecting. I use them exclusively. No volume control, nothing fancy, I just slap them on using a converter and off I go. Not too loud, not too quiet, just right. Perfect cord length. I tried using MDing head phones and I hate them. I think these retail for $20. Mine are faded, tattered and worn out, but they still work great. I'll use them until they choke.

I agree with you Buck - you made some valid points. Spending $10,000 on a pair of headphones is stupid. If that's how you want it then good for you, I'm sticking with the cheapest crap possible. My finds satisfy me and that's all that matters.

Attachments

• koss.jpg
    koss.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 914
I have used about all the big name brand headphones and a few of the cheapo sets. I find I can hear signals with any of them about the same. I had a set of Naxa NX-916 headphones that were very comfortable, lightweight and very inexpensive that sounded great, only down fall is they do not have a coiled cord (it is straight) for some reason I catch my knee on the straight corded headphones and pull them of my ears. I sold them and got a set of DetectorPro Jolly Rogers that I really like. Headphones are like detectors we all have our favorites.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 715
  • p2.JPG
    p2.JPG
    8.5 KB · Views: 691
I think we're getting away from the basic premise of whether a $250 pair of headphones is --blah blah blah--but the SIMPLE FACT OF THE MATTER IS: a cheap-arse pair of plastic kiddie headphones able to pick up anything in the 15-25,000 Hz range is STILL going to "hear" the exact SAME tiny-little signals in the 15-25,000 Hz range as a $300 pair of headphones.

Who makes $200-$300 headphones for metal detecting? :?: I have a pair of Killer B Wasps, which are top of the line,and paid somewhere around $120 shipped.... :roll: I do agree with ya on the cheapies for beach hunting as all I need is a beep and I dig....no whispers needed, and they are nice in the heat. But when out hitting an old school yard or home site I like having a limiter for when the volume is cranked and I'm listening for deep hits. Try cranking your cheapies up and hitting a surface object, it's not fun. Yep, you are right, they aren't a necessity, but I don't have any other hobbies that are this cheap, so why not get the good stuff!

Surprised no one has mentioned wireless headphones. I just got a pair from radio shack for $70 bucks and I LOVE not having a cord.

Back
Top Bottom