May I ask a question please?

IDXMonster

Elite Member
Specifically regarding the new Equinox but other examples are out there in abundance...WHY are people digging 3” nickels in parks? For the number of times you can get burned by junk,along with its lower value...WHY? I see videos of the Equinox and NICKELS. I get that it does well on nickels and lower conductors. But to specifically dig a nickel signal in hopes of finding a NICKEL? In a modern park or school at less than 6”?
Seriously?

Thought you were going to dig those lower numbers in search of some of the relics and the possibility of some more valued metals. This may by the reason I have such a problem with not digging Nickels. My quest for Silver coins may have made me tone deaf for those lower tones. For now with time becoming more available maybe I can slow down just to hear those tones. Then again I do love the site and excitement of a Silver in the hole or plug, it maybe to late for me to be retrained. As far as the new Minelab machine goes it reminds me (from videos) of the extremely fast replies of the AT Pro with a few more inches of depth. I'm very sure that it will open a more divisive opportunity to a lot of clad diggers and allow them more Silver along with it. Anyway if all goes right I hope to start my season this Sunday. It's been a real long Winter. Trapper

Thought you were going to dig those lower numbers in search of some of the relics and the possibility of some more valued metals. This may by the reason I have such a problem with not digging Nickels. My quest for Silver coins may have made me tone deaf for those lower tones. For now with time becoming more available maybe I can slow down just to hear those tones. Then again I do love the site and excitement of a Silver in the hole or plug, it maybe to late for me to be retrained. As far as the new Minelab machine goes it reminds me (from videos) of the extremely fast replies of the AT Pro with a few more inches of depth. I'm very sure that it will open a more divisive opportunity to a lot of clad diggers and allow them more Silver along with it. Anyway if all goes right I hope to start my season this Sunday. It's been a real long Winter. Trapper

Trap,yes,I will. In the right place! I was just looking to see if people were actually digging nickels in hopes of digging a nickel,or they do it EVERY TIME in hopes of finding gold. The nickel to me seems like a junk coin,at least around here. Anything old is rotted beyond recognition and I’ve only ever found 3 war nickels. I can find nickels quite handily with anything I have,but I’m only going after those lower conductors in places I know to have 120 years of age or better.
You KNOW I’m not a surface feeder....:grin:
SUNDAY? What,are you taking the blowtorch ala Dewsweeper?:lol: It will keep me interested to see how your season goes,and I’ll look forward to when we get together again!

Trap,yes,I will. In the right place! I was just looking to see if people were actually digging nickels in hopes of digging a nickel,or they do it EVERY TIME in hopes of finding gold. The nickel to me seems like a junk coin,at least around here. Anything old is rotted beyond recognition and I’ve only ever found 3 war nickels. I can find nickels quite handily with anything I have,but I’m only going after those lower conductors in places I know to have 120 years of age or better.
You KNOW I’m not a surface feeder....:grin:
SUNDAY? What,are you taking the blowtorch ala Dewsweeper?:lol: It will keep me interested to see how your season goes,and I’ll look forward to when we get together again!

Yep that is the plan. Dew's is bringing the torch, pick and jackhammer. Your welcome to join us if you want to tickle the itch. We are looking to expand a bit. I have a need to get this year under way. Trapper

When I get into "old" areas, tearouts and such, I DIG IT ALL.
I especially love finding buffs, V-nickels and even a Shield once in a while.
These can be 2-3" deep:D

When I get into "old" areas, tearouts and such, I DIG IT ALL.
I especially love finding buffs, V-nickels and even a Shield once in a while.
These can be 2-3" deep:D

Without a doubt,I would do the same! Iron and above in an old site such as that,no question. As we were talking about that one day,digging in that range is going to eventually score the big one,and us high conductor guys will be crying.:( I’ve seen testing with nickels though,and I guess the general consensus in more modern places is to dig nickels in hopes of something else!

I don't think any of us dig Nickel's to find Nickel's. Gold and Silver will sometimes ring up as Nickel range. I've hit 2 Gold that way.....:yes:

Silver in the nickel range Curt? Besides a war nickel,what else was silver? I certainly have never had a nickel signal be a silver anything except a war nickel. I dug a silver earring back(925) that rang up as silver...other things do?

The deepest nickel I've ever found was at 4" & was a 1943-S silver. Most the nickels I dig are at 3" or less, which includes Buffalos. I for one will keep digging nickel in hopes of finding that 1950-D, the only nickel missing in my collection

When I dig those mid tones, I'm looking for the elusive gold. If it's not gold... I'd rather it's a nickel rather than a aluminum soda tab. :lol:

Yep that is the plan. Dew's is bringing the torch, pick and jackhammer. Your welcome to join us if you want to tickle the itch. We are looking to expand a bit. I have a need to get this year under way. Trapper

Your kidding right, You really dont take Dew out in public do you ????

Like some others, I'll dig nickel signals in the hopes of getting an old nickel in an old area I'm hunting. Last year, I managed to find 3 V's, 2 Buffs, 8 war nickels and 2 pieces of 14k all by targeting nickel signals.

I guess I can understand why you don't dig nickels if your interests clearly lie in digging silver. I personally dig all good nickel signals to dig nickels because it beats having to bend down to dig 5 pennys. I hunt coins and I don't care if they are clad or silver. I just love finding coins and have since I was 17 or 18 wnen I got my first machine. Yes, I do prefer silver but a lot of the areas I have access to hunt are loaded with modern coins. I have already paid for two of the detectors I own with proceeds from clad stabbing since the first of the year. The answer to why do people dig nickels in parks is simply that we are not all just silver slayers or jewelry hunters. I have heard some say that finding clad is just a by-product of finding silver but for me it's a means to be able to continue detecting and buying equipment because I don't have the income to buy detecting stuff unless I get out there and find some.

I guess I can understand why you don't dig nickels if your interests clearly lie in digging silver. I personally dig all good nickel signals to dig nickels because it beats having to bend down to dig 5 pennys. I hunt coins and I don't care if they are clad or silver. I just love finding coins and have since I was 17 or 18 wnen I got my first machine. Yes, I do prefer silver but a lot of the areas I have access to hunt are loaded with modern coins. I have already paid for two of the detectors I own with proceeds from clad stabbing since the first of the year. The answer to why do people dig nickels in parks is simply that we are not all just silver slayers or jewelry hunters. I have heard some say that finding clad is just a by-product of finding silver but for me it's a means to be able to continue detecting and buying equipment because I don't have the income to buy detecting stuff unless I get out there and find some.

And this ^^^^ is the perfectly well thought out answer I was hoping to get to understand the exact mentality of why it’s done! It illustrates that we are NOT all the same(at least not always,if at all) and there are many different ways to enjoy what we’re doing out there! Even if it’s not MY thing right now(modern nickel hunting) it certainly appeals to others!
Thanks Pescadore!:grin:

I dig nickels because I have found several gold rings around nickels and a couple that were dead on nickel signals.
I also love finding war nickels, buffs, V nickels and hopefully one day a shield nickel.
Even a modern nickel which is only worth 5¢ adds up if you find enough of them.

For me nickel signals are right up there with the high tone silver stuff as far as importance and when swinging over gold way more exciting.

This is a great topic! Pescadore hit it on the head for me as well...
Nickels are the 'rarest' coin concerning NA pocket change...Lots more Pennies and D's and Q's out there than nickels...Take a look in your change jar and see for yourself!

Doing a dedicated 'Nickel Quest' teaches a guy a whole lot...it opens up the ears to the subtleties of the Mid tone target nuances...Creates a broadened focus and in depth understanding of the site..

Actually, nickel hunting makes a guy a better Silver hunter, especially when it comes to recognizing multidenom stacks/slants/tight spills...

We all see silver dimes popped shallow, all the time... a guy has to figure, depending on the site, theres a $2 1/2 gold coin equally as shallow dismissed as a fresh dropped nickel...

Sure, its easier for me to snatch up empty cans for a dime per, snipe all the D's and Q's and high tones, make pay.....But when a guy focuses on mastering the art of Nickel hunting, it opens up a whole new world of understanding and adds to the skillset...

If a guy has hunted an area hard, for years, going after and mastering the art of deep silver, its a lot of fun and profitable to wade back into those areas and do a 'Nickel Quest'...

Its amazing and humbling to discover how much silver you left behind...

Back
Top Bottom