Will I ever learn?

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Well here I am going on 62 and I still think I'm 22. Installed a 80 LB UPS/Battery backup in a 7' rack and now I have two hernias. Go in for surgery next week. When will I even except that I can no longer do that stuff without paying the price?

This will be my third hernia operation. In fact, the only operations I've had are for hernias.

Dude, you’re old knock it off! Seriously, be careful after the latest surgery. GL and heal quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer, hope the surgery turns out ok.

I'm 69 and sometimes wonder about handling all the heavy firewood I cut. Got to pick it up, load in the truck, unload then pick up and put on the splitter. Been lucky so far.

That's what lifts are for.

E1SL105-B.jpg

Lift with your legs. :laughing:

Seriously, I'm the same age as you, and it sucks coming to grips with what I can't do that I used to.

I know what you mean. Part of the problem is finding competent help to do some of the work we need done. But I’m pretty much of the mindset that if it needs done, I’ll do it myself. But I’m starting to learn I can’t continue this forever.

Wow, major bummer dude !!!! Hope the surgery goes well, give it ample time to heal afterwards !

I can definitely relate, and this can serve as a caution to others that have a hernia (or get one later) that it is NOT something to take lightly -

I got a hernia about a year or so before I was originally going to retire at 62 with SS, how ?

......I knew better, but being in a hurry I made the mistake of picking up some heavy sod lifting with my back instead of with my knees, I felt a burning sensation at the time but didn't think a lot about it, then later when I knew something wasn't right when it would protrude out I got checked and found out I had a hernia, they said it wasn't real bad, that surgery was not urgent right away, that as long as I could push it back in when it protruded it was okay, but that if it ever got to where it couldn't be pushed back in it would need immediate surgery. (I think that clinic should had told me to take it more seriously, but maybe they thought I would have had it repaired much sooner)

My next mistake was thinking I could hold off getting the surgery till I retired since every time it protruded out I was able to easily push it back in.

Then roughly about 4 months before retirement it pushed out and I couldn't push it back in, it was late at night, my wife was working a night shift and I made another mistake of trying to hold out hoping I could push it back in.

That next day, still the same and in a lot of extreme pain, I went to the emergency room and the doctor said I should have had surgery 2 hours ago it was that serious, so they rushed me for immediate surgery, it had turned into a strangulated double hernia, but I thank God so much that after the surgery they said amazingly no damage was done and they were able to fix things well.

They did have to use mesh, which has it's risks of scar tissue forming but I have not had any problems from the mesh that I can tell.

Understandingly it took a while to get back to normal and I had to recuperate for a few months VERY gradually being able to do more and lift more, but my wife told me, no sense you going back to work you are retiring NOW because by the time you would be released to go back to work it would only have been about another month before your retirement anyhow.

If you get digestive problems (I had some from when I had to take antibiotics to get rid of Lyme disease from a tick bite, as antibiotics can also destroy the good bacteria your digestive system needs) I took both prescription probiotics as well as OTC probiotics and yogurt, it took a while but my digestive system returned to normal.

Since you are getting surgery before it got strangulated hopefully your recovery will be quicker, but do NOT rush the recovery as I know someone who "felt" okay to lift heavier objects and ended up having to have repeat surgery which they said was a lot more painful the second time and wished they would have been more patient and waited longer to lift heavier stuff again.

Bottom lines:

Lift with your knees - NOT with your back !

IF anyone else has a hernia (or gets one) do NOT try to tough it out - get it repaired ASAP - you can thereby avoid it getting much worse and being serious.

Bummer, hope the surgery turns out ok.

I'm 69 and sometimes wonder about handling all the heavy firewood I cut. Got to pick it up, load in the truck, unload then pick up and put on the splitter. Been lucky so far.
Isn't that why they say wood heats you at least a half-dozen times? :lol:

Well, think of it this way: getting older is better than the alternative...! :lol: But seriously, I'm sorry to hear about your surgery, and I'll be praying for you. Take care.

Been there done that at 67. It is a walk in the park. They have come a long way in the past few years. Mine was a in and out surgery. Home in 3 hours. And walking around. In 3 week i was back to doing everything. Oh ya that young train of thought never goes away. Just keep on trucking on.

Good luck teaching that old dog a new trick!

Luckily, I learned about 15 years ago when I was in the field that if you hump big conduit up ladders all day, you will be hobbled and destroyed when you get old.
Now I work in the office as a service manager.
I turn 50 next month:shock::shock: and while I am not a gym rat, I am in pretty good shape.

I have been shoveling driveways since I was a kid and that is one thing I cannot seem to give up.
Whenever there are 2-3 inches of snow on the driveway, I am shoveling.
Over 5 times this past week!
I imagine that I will be the old curmudgeon who has a heart attack while shoveling his driveway (I just hope it is at the age of 90+)

I have been shoveling driveways since I was a kid and that is one thing I cannot seem to give up.
Whenever there are 2-3 inches of snow on the driveway, I am shoveling.
Over 5 times this past week!
I imagine that I will be the old curmudgeon who has a heart attack while shoveling his driveway (I just hope it is at the age of 90+)[/QUOTE]

I'm 53 and will not stop shoveling snow. I love it when my driveway is black and the neighbors had their driveway plowed and is still slippery, it's a matter of pride taking care of your own property

I told my father to stop shoveling snow but that didn't work, (he is 89 years old) so he took his snow shovel into the shop and cut it down to 8 inches wide. I was about 6 when he gave me some words of wisdom " I'd rather shovel 2 inches of snow 4 times than shovel 8 inches once "

Unbelievable, last night I went out and got 4 inches of wet heavy snow off the driveway and porches. This morning I hit the snooze button twice, went downstairs about 6:20 and figured my father was doing laundry. I looked out the door and there he was shoveling snow, I made coffee and went back upstairs. When I asked him about shoveling snow he said if I was going to stay in bed so late somebody has to do it.

I'm going on 72 and I've had two hernia surgeries, one on each side. One surgery was with a net and the other without. First surgery used stitches and the second one ...no stitches. They glued it instead !!! First one in 2007 when I was 61 and the second in 2012 when I was 66. No ill effects and carrying on normally. Good luck with yours !

Back
Top Bottom