Today I Hunted Extra Long

beephead

Elite Member
Today I had high hopes with the MXT Pro with my newly acquired 5.3 search coil attached. I decided to hunt some older trashy sites that I've hit before to see if could find some silver coins that I might have missed using a smaller search coil. That plan didn't work out so well, so I found some virgin ground to swing my search coil. It like to have killed me, because the area was too large for the search small coil that I had brought. I had to do a lot of swinging!

Any how every time that I got worn down and was getting ready to call it a day I'd find another wheat penny to spur me on some more. I ended up finding 14 wheat pennies The oldest one was minted in 1920. Towards the end of the hunt, I finally got my search coil over a 1918 D Mercury dime. It wasn't long after that I headed for the house.

I really needed my Detech 5x10 search coil today for the last site that I detected since it was such an large area. My spare lower rod for it arrived in the mail today, so I won't get caught using a too small of a search coil again for the job.

beephead

Attachments

• IMG_0215.jpg
    IMG_0215.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 409
Nice Merc and wheat harvest. Congrats. I'm dying to get out...ground is perfect, but my dang back is acting up again. Looks like winter is really setting in in East TN the next week.

Today I had high hopes with the MXT Pro with my newly acquired 5.3 search coil attached. I decided to hunt some older trashy sites that I've hit before to see if could find some silver coins that I might have missed using a smaller search coil. That plan didn't work out so well, so I found some virgin ground to swing my search coil. It like to have killed me, because the area was too large for the search small coil that I had brought. I had to do a lot of swinging!

Any how every time that I got worn down and was getting ready to call it a day I'd find another wheat penny to spur me on some more. I ended up finding 14 wheat pennies The oldest one was minted in 1920. Towards the end of the hunt, I finally got my search coil over a 1918 D Mercury dime. It wasn't long after that I headed for the house.

I really needed my Detech 5x10 search coil today for the last site that I detected since it was such an large area. My spare lower rod for it arrived in the mail today, so I won't get caught using a too small of a search coil again for the job.

beephead
She's a clean 18 maybe a good Omen for 2018 good luck in the new year please post pics of all your best finds I am only a bazillion behind you . Happy New Year mark

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

That IS a beauty of an old dirt Merc!

I have a really worn one here in my coins, 1918d...cant hardly read the date though, its seen a lot of pockets or something!.:laughing:..Yours looks like a fresh drop back in 1918! I've never once tried out a coil smaller than 11"...

Thanks Everyone! I've been tied up lately with a few things that needed to get done. And to top it all off I might be coming down with the flue. My wife got it from our granddaughter at Christmas. I really hope my wife doesn't give it to me.

beephead

Maybe you should take a nap! Lol.

I took an Aleve instead. That damn little search coil about wore me out.

I switched from Coin/Jewelry mode to 2 tones in Relic, set the tone break just above pull tabs and started digging all targets that high toned that were 5+ inches deep. On one high tone signal that was around 6 inches deep I first pulled out a large nail, before retrieving a wheat penny. Then I rechecked the hole with the Pro-Pointer and found another large nail. It's amazing how many good targets are masked.

beephead

I was looking for a 5.3 for my v3i however I just about loose it using the 4x6. Keep us posted how you like it.

I was looking for a 5.3 for my v3i however I just about loose it using the 4x6. Keep us posted how you like it.

Will do. I figure the 5.3 will be at its best when used in those really trashy curb strips I like to detect. It's definitely not made for large open areas that don't have much trash. The best all-round search coil that I'm using on the MXT Pro is the Detech 10x5. It's super light, gets good depth, it points great and has good separation.

Here's a picture that I just came across. Most of you know that I don't actually live in Memphis, but hunt some of the seedy parts of it.

beephead

Attachments

• Welcome To Memphis.jpg
    Welcome To Memphis.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 209
Nice going on the awesome 1918 Merc . I like the 5.3 . I like it's balance and its pinpointing ability ( especially when you have to " chisel " through almost rock hard dirt ) .

Great hunt...awesome persistence to find the nice old merc! I never go detecting without my back pack in the truck with all my coils, and each already mounted on a lower. There are times when I am off exploring, that the back pack comes with me. Its very common for me to switch up different coils on the same hunt

Back
Top Bottom