Help My Excal II

Swing4TheRing

Forum Supporter
I went to go hunt with my Excal II yesterday and when I turned it on, the threshold was humming as normal, but when I went to test a target over the coil as I always do, NOTHING! No sound or response even when I swing my wedding band right over the coil only an inch away.

I checked all my settings to make sure volume is up, discrimination is only at 1, so all is normal there, but I just get NO response for a signal! Any help or advice?

I charged the battery overnight and just tried it again, but same air test with targets failed - no response from detector.

Thoughts? Thanks for the help!

How many volts is your charged battery putting out? I think it should be around 14.1. Check for any broken connections at the coil. Let us know and good luck.

How many volts is your charged battery putting out? I think it should be around 14.1. Check for any broken connections at the coil. Let us know and good luck.

I'll have to check the battery, but I just replaced it less than a year ago... I'll check the housing and coil connectors when I get home.

I had to replace the charging adapter for my Excal II at one point as it had a short in the stem and wasn’t making a good connection. Good luck!

I had to replace the charging adapter for my Excal II at one point as it had a short in the stem and wasn’t making a good connection. Good luck!

I did accidentally try to put the connection backwards as I was plugging it in and it sparked. Not sure if that caused a short...

Perhaps this crack in the coil (left side of pic) is the culprit? Again, the battery turns on the machine and I can hear the threshold, but anything large or small is not registering when swung past the coil. Guessing this separation in the coil allowed enough water and sand to build up and short out the coil... :?:

Attachments

• IMG_3737.jpg
    IMG_3737.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 249
Does it sound off in pinpoint?
Sounds like a shot coil to me unfortunately...
Cracks like that are pretty common on the coil,I had that happen but the coil was still working i flushed mine with fresh water and dried with a hair dryer, then dripped super glue in to the crack to seal and then epoxied the whole bottom of the coil. That fix held up for years.

Oh man that coil is hurting. Did you have the cover on it? Mine is always on and I take it off to clean out each time

Oh man that coil is hurting. Did you have the cover on it? Mine is always on and I take it off to clean out each time

Yup, I've got the good ole' yellow cover for it.

Does it sound off in pinpoint?
Sounds like a shot coil to me unfortunately...
Cracks like that are pretty common on the coil,I had that happen but the coil was still working i flushed mine with fresh water and dried with a hair dryer, then dripped super glue in to the crack to seal and then epoxied the whole bottom of the coil. That fix held up for years.

Thanks Zee, I may have to give that a go. I tried pinpoint and nothing there either.

Well I had to send in the Excel to Minelab over in PA (Detector Center) and they confirmed it was a dead coil... well ya, with no sound wouldn't ya think! :laughing:

After $299, it's on it's way home as I type with a brand new beeper, so we'll see how she performs (hopefully this weekend and next). Better than paying for a whole new unit and they guys over at the repair center were super friendly!

Did you inspect the headphone wire before you sent it in? I've had a Excal come back after a coil replacement and soon the headphone wire cracked. All that wiring and I guess the coil all deteriorate at about the same rate. The repair cost in labor i.e. opening the tube could have been avoided.

You really didn't need help diagnosing with a coil looking like that.

Back
Top Bottom