AT Pro Bigger NEL Coils

North Shore

I'm in coastal/eastern MA not sure if that is entirely relevant, I would like to purchase a replacement coil for the stock and I am looking at the NEL Thunder, and Storm, and will go with the Anderson zero flex lower stem. I'd like to hear from anyone for recommendations, pros/cons, other coil suggestions. I have a 5x8 coil, looking for a larger one to run in easy swinging areas now. Fatigue should not be an issue for me.

Thanks

I would suggest the Thunder, it is lighter but still offers great coverage and separation on targets. That being said they are sold out in the US. Ive been researching them.

I've bought a Nel Storm recently and I'm on the fence about it. It seems so chatty and cannot touch ANYTHING without making a tone. I did find out about the lower shaft flexing and am in the process of modifying without buying an Anderson shaft. My collars on the shaft weren't entirely tight. So that was step one, tighten really well. I'm gonna use new rubber washers at the coil. And I took off the lower shaft and squirted expanding foam down the tube to make it more rigid.It's drying now. I'll post if it's successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah..the larger NEL coils for the AtPro?, Bigs, Attacks, Storms, Thunders...Whatever...All sorts of gold found with each and every model...Including the Garrett stock 8x11" rigs...

I got a THUNDER in October, for the reasons Fuzzy Texan mentioned...on account of I needed a larger footprint for big beach sweeping and a bit more depth on the sides of the rip/undertow areas...

Yeah..its paid itself off, I'm happy with it and will leave it on the stick for a long time..Most of the serious gold guys up here I hunt with use NELS on their AtPros....still, a guy can do right well with stock gear... Time and Gold wait for Nobody...any coil deployed in field is better than the 'optimum' coil sitting in a closet at the house...I have found a lot of gold with the stock 8x11...I do like this THUNDER though...
Mud

Last edited:
Really kicking myself for not jumping on the thunder, I see its sold out at a few of the sites. Any indication on the next production run?

Just bought Nel Storm last month. I love it! It does get chatty sometimes . In a big open area it's fine. I will deal with the noise for the trade off in extra depth.

I would suggest the Thunder, it is lighter but still offers great coverage and separation on targets. That being said they are sold out in the US. I've been researching them.

Just thought if you haven't looked since you posted. KellyCo has them back in stock.
I have the Thunder and I love it. I frequently do go back to my 5X8 if I'm in a place with trees and roots to get around. But Thunder has impressive separation and the extra depth has helped in pulling targets i, and other detectorist have missed in my older parks and home sites.

Use promo code cartshipfree when checking out for free shipping if you'd like too.

Happy Hunting!

I have the Storm and have had good luck with it. But that Thunder looks to be a great choice. I'd probably have gone with it had it been available.

I got the thunder on my AtPro and I also got the carbon fiber lower shaft .. not the same a the zero flex which I believe is made from fiberglass ...

I have zero issues with this combo .. Love it ..

Jerr-man set me up

Hey Dragonfire , why did you get the carbon fiber , just for weight , has the lower shaft been bending ? HH

The NEL Thunder weighs 530g and the Stock 8x11 weighs 552g

8db3e4c73bd533e0c25d2da77eee61f5.jpg

62fcd89759743516f1653b27ebe2eac5.jpg

Thanks for the info pics Fuzzy !! Was concerned about the flex comment ?
Trying to understand why the Mod's to shaft ?

No problem!!

Not sure either, honestly I didn't think the Thunder would be lighter or possibly same weight with the coil cover as the stock.

Back
Top Bottom