My Unorthodox and Frankensteined Cleans and Restorations

OP3CRIMSIN

Call it part perfectionist, or part Virgo, but I strive to improve my life and my surroundings. I make a conscious effort to streamline my energies and make my world more appealing to the eye. This has surely carried over to my detecting because I can't just dig up a rusty piece of dog !!!! and make guesses as to what it was. I have to get it to some semblance of what it looked like when the first person touched it or made it. Or maybe I'm just part redneck and love shiny things!

In this thread, I wish to show off some of my crazy adventures in restorations, repurposings, cleanings, and ID'ing.

Before y'all get out the pitchforks, I know that cleaning "valuable" coins with anything other than a toothpick is for dummies, but if I've looked it up, and I can't retire off of it, and you're not paying my bills, it's getting cleaned! :)

I use anything from three types of brushes in the field (nylon, brass, and steel), and at home I started with a wire wheel on a power drill on its side clamped to my work bench. Then I purchased the bench grinder/wire wheel combo. I picked up a bench vise, to hold any beefy enough piece of rusty metal, and pinpoint pressure taps with a star bit and a hammer to knock off superficial rust. A chisel, a file, whatever will do stuff it wasn't intended to do! I work with chemicals too so I've brought home some muriatic acid and even some 27% hydrogen peroxide. Yeah, that stuff we put on our boo boo's is 2%! So, needless to say, I dress for the occasion!

Let the madness ensue!

picture.php

I'm so cool in my own world.

Also, if this is something anyone likes to see, please let me know with questions or comments.

The Beryllium Zippo

My first installment was a fun one. It started when I thought I had dug up some more of the element Beryllium (98% sure I found some prior in another field, but that's another story).

This piece looked different though, man-made and machined. After I laid in my initial guess that I had again found some of this fairly expensive element, I began my tests. Sanding made a sheen (Don't breathe it though, or you can contract berylliosis, not to mention it's VERY toxic). It was extremely hard. Grinding it didn't throw a spark. A certain volume of it powdered matched the specific density of the #4 on the periodic table. I was all sorts of happy too because I had found over 41 grams of the stuff!
picture.php

And at some estimates puts the value at 23$ a gram! But something about it just didn't look right. I had to try the X-Ray test. I knew I was to get a dental exam done shortly by a customer of mine so I thought I'd piggyback the opportunity and request he zap my find with X-Rays. You see, Beryllium has the ability to pass x-rays right through it as if it wasn't even in its path. It is used anytime an object has to be x-rayed without the interference of air or any other gas distorting the x-rays, so it's placed in a vacuum and the "window" used to peer into the vacuum chamber is made out of beryllium.

Well, the day of my appointment came and it was his cute assistant that worked on me. I laid out my claim and re-established that I was sort of her boss' pool doctor in a way and she agreed, also because she thought it would be very interesting to do! Well, we zapped it . . . .

picture.php

And got this!

It's a damn zippo!

Half dumbfounded, half amazed that it worked and how quickly I got the results, I was determined to give it the old Crimsin restoration.

The layout of the lines became abundantly clear that they were the opening point for the zippo lid. I just had to get it open. I first soaked the doodad in lemon juice and it came out like this.
picture.php

With a little finesse, I worked the top open.
picture.php

Then gave the casing a buff.
picture.php

I tried to scrape some of the calcification off the inside and found the slightest bit of pressure broke the flint wheel from its base. Oops.
picture.php

At this point, I filled the small pits and holes with joint compound and let it dry, then sanded it.
picture.php

Then I turned to the cabinets where I keep my paints and remembered the wife had bought some metallic looking paint for one of her projects. Turned out to be a textured paint instead of a smooth paint, but what the hell! I superglued the wheel apparatus back on and this is what I got!
picture.php

It will never work again, sadly though. I couldn't restore it's ability to spark. It probably flicked its last flick many years ago, but in the end, I considered this turd polished!
picture.php

I mean, you could have sent it to Zippo and got it fixed or a brand new one for free...:laughing: Congrats on the persistence though!

There are other brands other than zippo though, and I wouldn't have been able to tell if it was an authentic zippo; it was pretty corroded. But is that a thing? Does zippo fix or replace any zippo? I'm not a smoker.

There are other brands other than zippo though, and I wouldn't have been able to tell if it was an authentic zippo; it was pretty corroded. But is that a thing? Does zippo fix or replace any zippo? I'm not a smoker.

Yeah, they maintain a great business model and will repair any Zippo for free. If they can't fix it, they'll send you a new one. Back in the day when I smoked I sent them my grandpa's 40s model when the hinge got really loose and they fixed it right up. I know at least one or two members here have pulled them out of the water and sent in crusty ones and got them replaced.

My Clean Dingaling

One of my favorite finds from my church field permission has been my #5 crotal bell. From what I have managed to research on my own, crotal bells were worn by horses as it seems it was necessary to audibly alert people that a horse-drawn carriage was approaching. I guess death by horse trampling was kind of a thing back then. Whodathunkit?

Also found out that the number on the bell corresponds to the size, but it isn't just an arbitrary number, thye five means the bell measures 1 and FIVE eighths inches in diameter. A #7 would be 1 and seven eighths and so on and so forth.

But here's the turd that came out of the earth.

picture.php

Gave it a bath and knocked off the loose dirt. I could hear a clump of something inside. Could it be its dingaling? (I looked it up and that IS the technical term for the piece inside it, you believe me right?)

picture.php

And that's approximately where most people would leave it, but I'm not most people. Gave it a ride on the wire wheel and got it shining!

picture.php

This could even be where OCD people would leave it. But I'm not your average everyday OCD. It just had to get dunked! And by dunked, I mean a ten minute bath in pure muriatic acid.
picture.php

Now that's shiny!

Last was a glaze and wipe off of vaseline and you can hear it dingaling like the days it was on the carriage!

Last edited:
Love the piece you wrote up on the Crotal Bell. Turned out very nice. The lighter might be a zippo but most "Zippo" brand lighters are mark on the bottom of the case.

They are marked on the bottom, here's one that I found in a creek and sent in and got a new one in about 2 weeks. They stand behind their product.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 492
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 496
Fist With An Iron Rule!

I may have that title's phrase wrong. Either way I chose my iron ruler as my third installment as it's still leaving me scratching my head. You'll see.

picture.php

Odd little thing isn't it. Grunted worse than the ex wife. Dug about eight inches to get to it. Came out of my own backyard where I've found welded repaired bucket loader teeth, Warranted Superior sawnut medallions, type 2 iron square nails, and even the friggin' nail puller!

picture.php

But this craptacular beauty is interesting because it measures exactly an inch inbetween the notches. The notches measure exactly a quarter inch. This, to me, means specialized ruler for a specific job, but what?!? You see if you had an exact inch from the center of each notch to the next, then it would act like a standard ruler, albeit heavy and bulky, but it could be used at that point to measure length on the American system. Or even if the bottom of a notch to the bottom of the next notch made one inch. But NooOooo. It's gotta go and be weird.

picture.php

I deemed this one official end of the ruler as this end is much cleaner than the other. The other looks as if it has snapped off altogether hence why it was discarded.

Hell with it! In the acid with Ye!
picture.php

picture.php

Well that helped a little bit. I could now notice that the first notch bump was bumped out on the "spine" of the ruler as well, whereas the subsequent notches were bumped only on the front and back faces of it. Weirder and weirder. So unless anyone can give me a reason to NOT take this to the grinder, I'll have it smoothed out shortly.

Thanks for reading! Crim.

I have found several broken silver rings over the years. I was able to repair them and they looked like new when I was finished. I have even found a couple that I made (unbroken) but I have made so many I don't remember who bought them.

Back
Top Bottom