Getting to the bottom of things.

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
A post on another forum about expect depth got me thinking this subject could be helpful to new hunters.

"How deep will it go?" is probably on the mind of all new detector users when they make the decision on which detector to buy, with "How deep does it need to go?" a close second. What I see all the time is someone just getting started or interested asks the age old question of "How deep will it go?" only to get what seems to be the run-a-round with it depends on this and it depends on that and rightly so. Experienced hunters know there is no solid answer.

Well I'm going to stick my neck out and answer that age old question. 4"

Now I realize this question is like asking how fast a car will go, there are too many variable to give a definitive answer but for such a general question there IS an answer. 120 miles per hour. So my answer to this age old question is 4"

Now about this second question of "How deep does it need to go?" which again never seems to get a satisfying answer but a plethora of possibilities. Again I'm going to stick my neck out and give a straight answer. 4". Hum, that works out pretty well doesn't it. In theory yes, in practice no.

Something that may put you newer hunters mind at ease is that 80% or more of the places I hunt never have anything deeper that 4". There of course are exceptions.

Now about the darn variables.

Personally, I think the most important variable to consider is experience. An experience hunter can take a $200 detector and in most cases find more keepers than an inexperienced hunter with a $1,000 detector. You noticed I said KEEPERS. Experienced hunters have one major advantage. They know where to look to increase their odds of finding keepers. You experienced hunters know what I'm talking about. You unload at that abandon house and with just a quick glance you're headed to the best locations as if drawn by some mystical force.

My hunting buddy used to say I was the luckiest hunter he had ever seen because I always walked away with better finds. It had nothing to do with luck and everything to do with experience.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is don't doubt the potential of your detector you have the means to find as many keepers as any other detector. What you may lack is the experience. With experience comes trust and knowledge with trust and knowledge comes the keepers.

So there you have it.

It will go 4" deep and that just happens to be how deep you need to go.

Got to disagree here.
For beginners, the answer is fine. But many people purchase detectors for specific needs. They may request a deep scanning detector, like a TM 808, and the 4" just won't cut. This example way too specific.
There is a lot of luck involved in metal detecting. And the detector power, combined with experience and luck is what gives the results. To this day, when I pick up a Bounty Hunter, I dig trash 90% of the time. Once I take a DFX or Explorer, the ratio changes. And its not because I know the detector better.
I've found some excelent finds from 0" to several feet deep. Would I buy a detector that is told to go 4" deep? No.
Newbies are normally satisfied to hear "It will find a quater up to 12" in the ground." No unnnecessary confusion, no run arounds, no "air test" disclaimers, clear and cut. And the answer is different for most detectors. Works for me.

as an add on, unless I am hunting for a certain known cache, quite frankly, I dont want to dig much deeper than 4-6 inches. Been hunting 20 years and the tales of coins at 12 and 14 inches are just that.............tales. My best find ever was a 1913 gold two and a half dollar. 3 inches deep. Unless the soil is disturbed or just downright extremely loamy, your coins are gonna be in 4-6 inch range. Just my 2 cents, I wish you all happy hunting.............................doodle

I think it's safe to say that most of my best finds have been in the top 4".
You can always tell when a Minelab owner has been on a field, massive craters everywhere :lol:

coindetector I agree. And my post was aimed at people new to the hobby. I know most of the people thinking about taking up this fine hobby ask the same questions. What should I buy. What is generally behind this question is how deep will it go and how deep do I need to go. The end result is they just don't want to find a lot of stuff but the good stuff.

I'm with Alan, in my near 30 years of detecting, though I have found things much deeper, most all my good stuff has been less than 4" deep. In fact I have found the exception to the rule is our local park, which has had 2 major floods dumping roughly 3" of mud each time, and in plowed fields.

Granted a top of the line detector will give you better odds of finding more stuff and deeper stuff, but that doesn't necessarily equal good stuff. I think experience is as important, if not more so, to finding the good stuff than the detector. Put an experienced hunter with a familiar $200 detector and a new hunter with a $1,000 machine out for the day and my moneys on the experience coming back with better finds.

I offer as exibit A: You notice everyone new to the hobby be it with a $200 detector or a $1,000 detector begin with finding mostly trash and clad. There are always exceptions of course but for the most part its a fact. As they become familiar with their detectors and the art of hunting the good stuff starts come. At the begining they would kill to find a wheatie but after time finding gold, silver or that really old one makes a good day.

What I'm trying to say is a lot of newcomers to the hobby start second guessing their detectors ability and thinking they should have gotten something else, when actually a detector is only as good as its user. Patients and experience plays a much bigger role in being successful then a detector itself. Now with that being said there are always exceptions.

beerdoodle I also agree. I've found 150 year old coins at no more than an inch, but then I've also found coins on a regular bases at more than 10" and up to 12". Again, the exception to the rule but there are always exceptions.

I will bury that gold coin at 12 inches. This fall you are free to detect in the area i buried it. If you find it, it is yours. and to be fair will put a rosie in the area at 10 inches. Deep coins are masked by other signals. No way in pristine grounds will someone find a dime at 10-12 inches. However, when your talking halves or dollars or large cents, I concede could get a whisper, I stand by 4-6 inches for a good signal for any coin. but debate is good.............Happy hunting.........doodle

just curious.................what did you find several feet deep...........................
beerdoodle, I used to hunt in Russia. Some stuff I found was over 1000 years old. The largest hole I ever dug was close to a yard for a collection of axes, dated around XI AD.
Also, silver coins are very conductive, so it is possible to find them at 12". My favorite set up for those was the XLT with the Blue Max coil - gave me great depth. Found lots of coins very deep, especially in swampy areas.
Your point about deep scanning detectors is correct, they are not for coins. I am sorry if I didn't make it clear. But people buying one, know what they are looking for.

199_9972.jpg

This cache was spread apart by plowing, but some coins were really deep. Spent half the day pulling them out, one by one.

Detector, the experience certainly has a lot to do with it. I am not saying its not. And there is no perfect detector which everyone should get because it offers optimal performace. Otherwise we wouldn't have so many different brands. Its the connection that we make with the detector that makes it fit for ourselves...
Patients and experience plays a much bigger role in being successful then a detector itself.
I am sure you meant patience :)

beerdoodle said:
as an add on, unless I am hunting for a certain known cache, quite frankly, I dont want to dig much deeper than 4-6 inches. Been hunting 20 years and the tales of coins at 12 and 14 inches are just that.............tales.

beerdoodle said:
.....when your talking halves or dollars or large cents, I concede could get a whisper, I stand by 4-6 inches for a good signal for any coin. but debate is good.............

I don?t agree. I know for a fact, based on my own experience, that quarters and halfs will give a good solid signal, not a whisper, at 10 or even 11 inches. The ability to get such solid signals, I?m sure most would agree, will also be dependent on the prevailing mineralization. If it?s strong, then such signals can indeed be very difficult to pick up at that depth, if at all. On such strongly mineralized soil, the deepest one can reasonably hope to reach - that is, getting a good solid tone - may be 6 or 7 inches. On low to moderate mineralization, however, the signal on such larger coins, which includes large cents, can indeed be picked up at the 10 to 11 inch mark.

Dimes are another story. The deepest I?ve been able to register, as best as I can remember, was 8 ½ inches. Even here the signal was a bit muted. I have noted the same type of signals at the 6-inch mark on quite a few dimes, but the soil was either highly mineralized or laden with iron. This is when experience kicks in.

I do agree, though, that most coins will be in the 1 to 7 inch mark, and a good solid signal can be obtained at those depths. Beyond that, the signal can be hard to pick up on small targets.

Of course, this is a subject that has been and will continue to be debated by many. I?ve seen it on other forums. In each case the person arguing his/her point will do so, strongly at times, and even to the point of being dogmatic on occasion, simply because that is what they have experienced.

You're right, though, debate can be good. :)

Hey, coindetector, you have me drooling with those coins. Fantastic finds!

Angel

I also agree with Angel and what he said and I'd like to add ; Burying a GOLD coin at any depth beyond 6 or 7 " will be near impossible to detect unless in all metal mode and even then iffy. The dime likewise. Older coins are found deeper because they've been in the ground longer. The detector "sees" them as larger than what they are. Ever get a good signal , dig and then lose the signal? This is mainly because you've disrupted the "halo" of the object. keep digging and you make the find.  :yes:
Here's a tip : Newly buried coins do not detect as deep as long buried coins.

Thanks for the tip Tony, I did not know that. I dug a signal in my garden that read 11" on my MXT, I dug at least 12" then the signal was gone. Is it safe to say it could be deeper than that?

I am new to this metal detecting hobby. And the way I see it is, I dig 6" or less. I may try one target deeper than 6" per hunt. But no more than that. This way I spend more time with the machine and less time with the hole. If I dig 10-6" holes I learn more than if I dig 5-12" holes. As I build experience and confidence this may change. And if I am lucky enough to dig a nice find with one of my few deeper digs I will bump them up to a couple per hunt. When I get to hunt a beach for the first time I may dig deeper because it shouldn't be as hard to dig the sand. This is what I came up with as a rule of thumb. It was this or try talking my wife into doing the digging :lol: I figure I am one very lucky man and didn't want to push my luck, or use my metal detector for a hat. :lol: :lol:

GRUMP said:
I am new to this metal detecting hobby. And the way I see it is, I dig 6" or less. I may try one target deeper than 6" per hunt. But no more than that. This way I spend more time with the machine and less time with the hole. If I dig 10-6" holes I learn more than if I dig 5-12" holes. As I build experience and confidence this may change. And if I am lucky enough to dig a nice find with one of my few deeper digs I will bump them up to a couple per hunt. When I get to hunt a beach for the first time I may dig deeper because it shouldn't be as hard to dig the sand. This is what I came up with as a rule of thumb. It was this or try talking my wife into doing the digging :lol: I figure I am one very lucky man and didn't want to push my luck, or use my metal detector for a hat. :lol: :lol:
GRUMP, you should never dig/not dig a target based on its depth or how easy it is to recover! You could be missing some great stuff!
And as a beginner, you should dig every signal to learn your detector

I was referring to dimes. Agreed about halves and quarters.especially silver ones. And Tony was right on about the halo effect. HH you all.....................toodles from doodle

Yard...... The object could have fallen deeper into the hole and beyond your detectors capability to get a good signal now. Larger targets don't ID as well as coin sized and they can also give more of a false reading for depth as well. We all have to remember that the detectors we use are limited in how they perform in varying ways. ID trails off and then drops off at certain depths for every detector. The signals you get beyond that are up to you whether you want to dig them or not. You have to trust your instincts , knowledge and detector. In your situation Yard , a good pinpointer would have been a tremendous help. :yes:

For someone new to detecting, digging every target helps build confidence in your machine. It can be frustrating digging all those signals but in the long run you'll be glad you did.

I doubted the stories I used to read about these amazing depths and figured in reality they were just not doing a good job of pinpointing, and digging a 10" hole before they found the target. The reason I doubted them was I had been hunting for many years and never found anything deeper than 5".

It took the right detector at the right place to open my eyes to a world below 6". Some of you may remember my story of our city park which in short was virgin ground below 6". Not only has 2 floods deposited 6-8" of mud but this area was a victim of the dust bowls of the 20's and 30's which also deposited a layer or two. So while you may feel there are no targets 10"+ in your area they do exist.

For me the term "solid signal" is relative to depth. If I find a target that has a repeatable sound(often no ID) 70% of the time I swing over it, and its depth is 7"+ then I consider it a solid solid signal.

My 2 cents...most important aspects of any hunt are (1) the site and (2) the hunter's perseverance...the type of detector is a distant third...even with a $50 Jetco, the right amount of stubborness will produce good results on a good site..ideally, I'd prefer something that will go down 6 or 7 inches ; some older coins can infrequently be found at that depth, depending on the soil makeup..if I'm at a park or school ground , I don't particularly want to dig any deeper ; even at that depth it 's tough to keep from leaving the search area seriously scarred.. for sites where you're free to make as much of a mess as you please, you have to ask yourself whether it's worth the additional 600 bucks or so to gain 3 or 4 more inches and perhaps find an occasional quarter or half...guess it depends on whether or not you've got it to burn...and the date on the quarter or half . Roadrunner_426

Personally I think the "additional 600 bucks or so" has less to do with more depth and more to do with versatility.

I didn't buy my DFX just to gain a few inches but because its cheaper than buying several specialized detectors. Although most detectors, to some extent, can be used for multiple types of hunting the advantage goes to the specialized machine. For example the Goldbug is a far better detector for prospecting than say the Coinmaster.

I think there is also the odd occasion, where although a coin has been found at the bottom of a deep hole, it has fallen to the bottom while digging, hidden in a lump of mud.

Back
Top Bottom