Large batwing buckle find today

castletonking

Today I was detecting around an old home here in Vermont,the home was built in the 1760's and is not too far from the Hubbardton Battlefield.I found this awesome large batwing buckle approximately a foot in the ground,unfortunately it is bent a little.Across the street from this house,same property I found a King George,lasy year. The house and property are located on the old east west road,now old route 4a. the route was used by the American,British,French and German soldiers.my property borders this one and I have found numerous flat buttons,knee buckles,shoe buckles and the like. any idea on what this large buckle might have been? it is about the size of the palm of my hand,and appears to be sand cast brass. thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSCF0192.jpg
    DSCF0192.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 592
  • DSCF0194.jpg
    DSCF0194.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 520
someone on another forum mentioned it's a baldric buckle,any idea what a baldric buckle is and an idea on an age?

someone on another forum mentioned it's a baldric buckle,any idea what a baldric buckle is and an idea on an age?

bal·dric (bôldrk)
n.
A belt, usually of ornamented leather, worn across the chest to support a sword , pistol , bugle or the like.

with all of the revolutionary war action(battle of Hubbardton,Castleton skirmish) in this area,the British,French,Germans and of course Americans using the road that our homes are now on,the history of the house from which this was recovered,the depth it was found,12+ inches,I'm going to bet this is from the revolution era.any ideas of who used this style of buckle?

Back
Top Bottom