Do you Grid search or just stroll around

My first hunt at a site I wander around looking for the hot spots, once found I start clearing debris if needed then start griding that area usually with the small coil first then after that throw on the big coil & clean up.

Usually look for the most likely areas and hit them first, but in my short time detecting I'm beginning realize there is no "most likely" area...:laughing:
Never gridded, but I think it would pay off I had an area I could really concentrate on....

At the beach, I usually grid a particular spot, such as the blanket line or where the waves stop on the wet sand.

When I'm looking for spendables at a park, (lets say an oval), I usually just wander around. Occasionally I'll go up and down a side line, but for the most part I wander randomly. If there are trees, are usually start at the base and ''circle" my way out. I've found lots of good things under trees.

If I'm at an old park looking for old coins/relics, I usually grid and I'll also have my GPS on the detector on so I know what spots I've missed.

If I'm hunting an old house site, I grid only after I find the first 'good' target.

When I'm prospecting for gold nuggets, I stroll around until I find a 'patch', and then I go very slow, and I'll grid the place at least three times. :)

Yes, that's how I do it! :yes:

Locate and hit high probability areas, cellar holes, wagon ruts, get a read for the site. After a few visits to a decent site just wandering purposely, then I do a grid at an obscure angle, the next time, a different angle. Remember, if a detector was there before he probably walked in the same direction you're thinking of walking. Parallel to the path, the wagon ruts, the house wall. I cant tell ya how much good stuff I've found doing this, even in locations that we had pounded........many times. Don't walk it the way its been walked before.

I stumble around like a drunken sailor at first. If I hit something good, I will come back later and search it methodically.

If I tracked my hunt with GPS it would look like spaghetti!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I like the term used above "wandering purposely". That's what I do. Then I may grid an area if I find silver or other older finds.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wander then grid design depending on finds, ,quality , Age
Unless I am certain of history of property

Back
Top Bottom