Clueless In NJ

RichNJ

Hi,

I want to follow the rules. But they won't tell me what they are! Maybe because nobody knows!

I called the Bergen County Parks department to see about MDing in the county parks.

Me (to the director's office):Hi, can I use my MD in our county parks
Them: I'm not sure, check with Permits to see of you need a permit.

Permit office: Thank you for calling the permit office. This is a recorded message - leave your name and address and the type of permit you need.
we will mail the application to you as soon as possible.​

I called my township Parks department -
Me: Hi, can I use my MD in our town parks
Them: Wow, I never heard that one before! I'll have to call you back.​
I want to do this right but they're making it so hard.

Does anyone know about needing permission to MD at schools.
What about public beaches?

Please Help!

Thanks,

Rich

Rejected!

I got the bad news from the town parks department this morning:
"No Metal Detectors"
Ouch!

I asked if there was a specific regulation against metal detectors.
Reply: "Peole with metal detectors dig, and you you are not allowed to dig in our parks! Metal detectors are not allowed!"

I got the feeling they were making it up as they went along. They are equating MDing with digging and digging with destruction of park property. I am still not sure if there is an actual regulation against MDing, but I can understand them not wanting a bunch of hackers leaving gopher holes in a ball field.

Is this a typical response? Does anyone have some tips on finding out about regulations and getting permission to MD?

- Rich

My general thought is that if there is no posting at the park or on the parks dept website saying it is not allowed, than I am okay to detect. I think that when you ask someone in person the chances are they don't know what to say so the instinct is to say "no."

In a suburb near me there are signs at the parks saying "No metal detecting" . I called up to get the scoop and the person said he had no problems with me detecting in playgrounds or ball fields (I didn't even have to ask him that, he just told me). What happened was a metal detecting club went out and almost all their plugs didn't make it so there was dead grass everywhere :mad: He did say the club apologized and patched the grass. Alas, that wasn't good enough for them so they decided no MD'ing in the grass areas. I feel kind of strange MD in the parks (tot lots) because I don't know if security knows the park district says the ball fields and tot lots are A-OK. Alas no e-mail address for the guy, I'll have to call him back this year (haven't been out that way in 2007).

I've never been questioned in school yards, even had a few ask me how I was doing and also had officers drive by and not say a word. I have stopped trying to search grass areas as we are in a drought and the plugs would have no chance of making it.

I lucked out when I visited our park and saw a police officer on duty. I asked him and he said "Sure, no problem." So maybe you should call your local PD and ask them. If someone reports you, it will be probably the police they would call anyway.

In Spokane WA. they allow detecting with a license, BUT you can't dig, you can only use a screwdriver or probe to pop the coin out.

Thanks to All,

I will also check the NJ State Parks.

It seems that MDing is allowed with a permit from the "Officer-In-Charge". If I can find who that is, I'm in business!

I am going to hunt around a couple of school yards this weekend.

Thanks Again -
Rich

MDing in NJ

Rich,
Myself and another firefighter MD in NJ in parks, school yards, etc and have never had a problem. I was told by a park worker in Mahwah that it wasn't allowed in county parks, I was in the reservation along Rt202. Pulled an indian head before he came by. Never had a problem at all in Passaic County at all. School yards are great spots to find almost anything at all. Let me know how you make out OK. We go out alot esp. early mornings on the weekends.
Anthony

It's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission.

I usually check the ordinances wherever I travel if I intend to hunt. Respect the laws please. But just remember, it's easier to get forgiveness than to get permission. If it isn't posted or written down - go for it.

G.

I followed that link and checked a city I knew there was a park in, in Maryland. I picked Gaithersberg and found this under damage to city property under Chapter 15A Parks and other Properties:

(c) No person shall dig or remove any soil, rock, stones, trees, shrubs or plants, down-timber or other wood or materials or make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting or other means or agency.

Does that mean no digging?

I used to live in new jersey and theres a few parks in South Brunswick so I looked that up and found the same clause under Parks and recreation/damage to park property :

(3) Dig or remove any sand, whether submerged or not, or any soil, rock, stone, tree, shrub or plant, down-timber or other weed or materials or make any excavation by tool, equipment or blasting of other means or agency.

Under the hamilton code : Parks and Playground/prohibited activities :
(3) Dig or remove any soil, rock, sand, stones, trees, shrubs or plants or other wood or materials, or make any excavation by tool, equipment, blasting or other means or agency.

Based on these codes I'm guessing it is not ok to dig in parks for any reason.

Back
Top Bottom