Why a pinpointer would have been good @ the beach

cdv

Elite Member
Night hunt a few nights ago and I left my pinpointer in the car....YES I carry a pinpointer at night on the beach as long as I'm not going in the water.... with my eyes and night vision, I need all the help I can get and it sure beats trying to find those small things that the detector finds in the sand. On this target, I just couldn't find the prize in the sand... I was carefully searching since it was such a nice mid-tone but I couldn't see any yellow. Finally I isolated some sand that contained the object and when in my hand I just couldn't tell what it was....later in the daylight, everyone agreed it was a dental crown which had some weight to it for its size....could it be gold, it sure didn't look like it but the CTX had good numbers for it.
The crown was a dull grey/black as shown in the picture with the dime for size reference (and that was after cleaning with a tooth brush).....the shiny spot is where I rubbed it on the test stone and it showed yellow and tested good at 14k.... Still not sure, I did a specific gravity test for verification.... it also had a specific gravity weight equivalent with 14k gold...yet it didn't look so good. Other than what Tilton has shown from Hawaii, I've never seen/found something that looked that bad yet was gold..... so out came the dremel tool..... Now I'm happy, it looks yellow now.

1.85 grams of 14k

Trust your machine.....and if you don't carry a pinpointer don't give up trying to find the little gold in the sand.

Cliff

Attachments

• 2014-04-14 11.29.13.jpg
    2014-04-14 11.29.13.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 460
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_1766.jpg
    IMG_1766.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_1767.jpg
    IMG_1767.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 457
14k sweet tooth...

Nice little catch, I agree about the PP at night at the ocean...I carry one when hunting the Bay all the time, things get mixed in when they are small and your eyes just can't pick them out sometimes....

Wow, really nice find. I have to admit I have certainly felt the same way about trying to find small objects while hunting at night. Glad your target turned out to be a keeper.

I wonder if it turned black before it fell out of the persons mouth? Gross...

Haha it's probably just been there for a long time. Crazy that it weighs that much. That thing is tiny. Good find. I couldn't tell you how many times I just leave a target that keeps falling through my scoop. When I do spend an hour trying find it, due to not carrying a pinpointer, it's always a wod of foil.

I really enjoyed your post, Cliff, because I also found something which I think is dental, but it remains in my "mystery metal" can. It's really dense, rings up like a nickel on the Prizm and holds a drop of 18K acid with no bubbles or discoloration (I put some on a piece of brass and it turned green & foamy). The problem is it's hard, so it can't be the kind of yellow I want it to be...high quality brass maybe? I'll have to forward it to Cliff Labs for further analysis!

Attachments

• DSC_0061.jpg
    DSC_0061.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 390
  • DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 393
  • DSC_0066.jpg
    DSC_0066.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 392
I really enjoyed your post, Cliff, because I also found something which I think is dental, but it remains in my "mystery metal" can. It's really dense, rings up like a nickel on the Prizm and holds a drop of 18K acid with no bubbles or discoloration (I put some on a piece of brass and it turned green & foamy). The problem is it's hard, so it can't be the kind of yellow I want it to be...high quality brass maybe? I'll have to forward it to Cliff Labs for further analysis!

I've got a few that looked similar to yours in color when I found them and when tested looked nice and shiny yellow under the black..... here is what they look like cleaned up, slight pink tint to them in the sunlight. (vinegar, salt, water with aluminum foil cleaning method).... they tested to be in the brass range with the specific gravity test....as for what metal, I'm not sure I just know it isn't heavy enough for gold......as much as I wanted it to be!

Lets arrange a hunt/meet, I'd be glad to test with specific gravity for you...

Cliff

Attachments

• 2014-04-16 16.06.23.jpg
    2014-04-16 16.06.23.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 372
That stuff may be amalgam, it was used for years as filling material ....silver powder and mercury was the mixture I think....something like anyway.....Bill

Cliff, I don't know cause I don't hunt the beaches at night,,,,,just not the same without bikinis around,,,,:laughing:nice piece of yellow, no shame at all throwing that one to the melt pile,,,, hope it becomes a hot streak for you,,,,GL HH

Cliff, I don't know cause I don't hunt the beaches at night,,,,,just not the same without bikinis around,,,,:laughing:nice piece of yellow, no shame at all throwing that one to the melt pile,,,, hope it becomes a hot streak for you,,,,GL HH

Is a bikini a seabird? we don't ever see them up here in CT :lol:

I personally don't use a PPer hunting but I know a few who do use them with their sifters up here... I have a sifter as well but it collects dust now that I only hunt the wet sand... ;)

Back
Top Bottom