Met up with the gang for the Clifftronics memorial hunt

dc426

Elite Member
7 am at CWB I met Stan (Ringnut) and Cliff (CDV) and Phil (FLphil). There were about a half dozen others out there as well. We chatted briefly about Cliff and then hit the water and really didn't find too much. We passed Les as he motored by heading the opposite direction. We hunted for about 2 hours and then split up. I did manage a neat little item. I'm not sure of what it is exactly as I'm not a Spanish silver expert. But from what I see on Mel Fisher's web site this is a replica silver reale in a 14K double pronged bezel. If anyone knows anything about what reale this is please speak up. Even though it's a silver replica I really like it.

I personally did not know Cliff very well. I did run into him a lot while hunting. I know we both shared a passion for cars and metal detecting. It was sad to hear he went way too soon.
DC

That's a very interesting find, Chris! Too bad you think it's a replica, but hey, it's still silver and gold. Wish I could have been there today.

Seems odd someone would go through the effort placing a replica in a 14k bezel.
You sure it's a fake?

id forgotten all about it. They had the boat races here Sunday so i hit the local beach.... along with 17, yes 17 others. I knew there wasnt going to be much after observing the crowd on Sunday.

I met Cliff a couple of times and he even let me barrow his DF for a few weeks. He had a lot of troubles... but a super nice guy. Nice find... the 2 ive found had eyes soldered on to them.... least you got the gold one.

I know the museum did do some replicas, but the silver i believe was still from the bars found on the ship.

Dew

Nice find!

Not sure why you think it's a replica, they sell a lot of them of the real coins. The grey patina tells me it's real.

Because the coin says "copy" on it. After doing some Googling they seem to be all over the interwebs with 14K bezels.

Must be the coin law.... it requires copy be on them, ive got a gold coin like that. what a disappoint that was.

Dew

Copy or not, it sure is a pretty piece..... you just let me know if you want to get rid of it!

Cliffy, we miss you buddy!

Cliff

That is a nice find Chris. I bet you got excited until you saw copy. Same with me when I found that 10K panda ring. The back says copy on that one too. Still, you got a nice pendant! I like it a lot. Wish I could have hunted with you guys today. Next time!! Rest Cliffy. We miss you.

I dont know chris/cliff. Im thinking Cliffy paid us a visit in those crazy dolphins. It would have been just like him to put a scare in me like the one that almost ran me over. I dont know if you saw my face but i was bracing for impact and all i heard was chris yelling turn on the gopro. That was the farthest thing from my mind. RIP Cliffy.

I never hunted with Cliffy, but he was such a good character on the forum, I did hunt today and did remember the hunt and hoped someone got something, I hunted my local beach here found nothing but hunters like I have seen for the last week or so,,,,great find, copy or not, its got gold and cool,,,,GL HH

Chris copy or not sweet silver and gold. Good hunting with you guys.
HH, phil

Back
Top Bottom