Weird Penny Found CRH-ing: Error or PMD?

GoldenEagle

Found this really strange penny while CRH. Not sure if it's a mint error or PMD, but I'm really leaning toward PMD since I'm not sure how exactly it would come about at the mint. There's a pit in the front, and a bunch of extra copper on the other edge of the coin.

What do you think?

Found this really strange penny while CRH. Not sure if it's a mint error or PMD, but I'm really leaning toward PMD since I'm not sure how exactly it would come about at the mint. There's a pit in the front, and a bunch of extra copper on the other edge of the coin.

What do you think?

Doesn't look like an error I have ever heard of. My guess is some kids took knife and took some copper and glued it on. But yeah that's unlikely.

Looking at the larger than needed picture by that site it appears to have gone through a house fire, hot enough to have it slightly melted. if this coin was in a jar the melted part you see could be whats left of a zink penny or other metal, and the pit would have been from something hot landing on it (rock, heavy metal)

Or it was some kid in a welding class that hit it with a hammer and melted something on it.

Not an error though, just like the pennies i see that have the copper rim gone just leaving the zink.

PMD for sure. Somebody melted this coin causing the copper to flow to the rim. No Zinc in this one. It's all copper. WOLF

Back
Top Bottom