Ok, So I checked my "trail cameras" and....

Look who came back this year. And he stuck around A LOT. I have lots of videos of him as he showed up after I turned all cameras to video mode.

November 14th was a day I'll never forget. 330pm and had a doe cross west to east 25 yds behind me. Kept looking over her rump. Told me buck is following her. So I prepared. Didnt notice that there was a buck 35 yds to my west (right) behind the scrub brush. He saw me. 5 snorts and he went south. Right to her trail then followed her. I messed up and didnt pay enough attention to my aim and shot about 14" low but perfect right to left. He took off. It was "Stickers". Watched him go and thought I dont remember a limp in him.....:roll:

I could see my arrow 4" off the ground in the tree that was behind him. Then I heard another grunt to my right. Down the trail comes "MULE" and he's not alert that anything is odd. UNTIL he got to my arrow. Then he turned around and went back west walking. Hmmmm. "Whats up with that" I thought. As I turned west to prepare for him to skirt me to the west and north I made eye to eye contact with another target buck. "Lowboy" had snuck in from my NW to within 10 yds as I was focused on Mule. Mule had stopped behind a tree just perfectly preventing a shot for me. "Lowboy" bolted as soon as I turned. And took Mule with him. Well, Sh*( I thought. Sat up in tree for about 15 min about puking.

Decided hunt was over so I got down to track Stickers a bit. Did find blood on arrow (Explains Mules stopping and turning around) but only down one side of arrow and only one vane had blood on it so NOT pass thru. Just a graze of a leg. Tracked him 200 yds and no dripping blood. No spraying blood. Just kept getting less and less but looked like you walked thru the marsh with a sponge on your lower leg soaked in blood that was wearing off. Non fatal wound. He'll survive if the wolves didnt find him and finish the job. So. Lessons learned and such from this one. Did get a small buck Sunday for gun deer. Was about a 13" Wide 6pt but had broken off his left beam earlier in the fall. Have live pic of him and had named him "Buster". LOL. Interesting year hunting for sure. Buster came into a "The Can" Doe call after one deer spooked from swirling winds. I turned the can over a few times and he came right out in the open marsh looking for that doe about 50 yds away. Only went 55yds and dropped. NO blood trail from him. By the looks of it lungs were empty as the bullet went thru so he could not blow blood out his nose . Perfect shot. Right thru middle of both lungs. Only blood found was right where he fell. Quick, Just the way we hunters want it to be.

So, Thats my story of my season. No further pics from this year as my cameras are down. No idea if Stickers, Mule, Lowboy or the others have made it thru or if they will make it thru winter. Can only wait till next year to put cameras up again. Best of luck to those of you still out there or those that are awaiting your gun deer season. Enjoy and happy Thanks Giving and Merry Christmas to you if I dont get to check in again.

MTS

Attachments

• Mule.jpg
    Mule.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom