CRH Question

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I have to say that I'm a little surprised that there is still enough silver floating around to make CRHing worth the time. I remember back probably 30 years ago my cousin worked at a bank sorting and rolling coins. He could hear the silver coins as they went through and would swap them for a clad coin. He had a large jug full of them the last time I saw him.

Couple of questions, once you go through the coins, what is the process for getting them back to the bank? I realize that this hobby isn't so much about money as it is discovery, but what is your average return on time investment? I guess I've always been a little fascinated by finding silvers like this because of my early memories of my cousin. I just wanted a handle on how the modern hunters are doing it.

P.S. Any of you guys work at a bank and do as he did?

Anymore halves are about the only way to go. Usually your bank has to order them. Sometimes it's worth it, other times it's a bust. During the winter months it's something to do. :) My wife works at a bank and in 3 years she's only found 3 silver dimes. :(

Different parts of the country may have a better return rate than others. My return rate is usually 1 90 percent silver coin per 1000 searched. Maybe 2 or 3 40 percent silver per 2 boxes hunted. That's an average. I have searched many boxes and got 0 but then may find 10 in one box.

I usually buy from one bank and dump at a different named bank, that way I'm not searching the same boxes over and over. :shock:

Good luck if you decide to give it a try.

G2M

The real trick to finding any significant amount of silver, especially as halves, is to be consistent and run a lot of boxes! At $500 a pop per box, most folks do not even start, because they fail to realize that they will get most of their money back when they dump the coins. Before diving into the hobby, do some checking around and look for a certain type of coin machine. It has a spinning disk sorter, rather than a belt. That type of machine will take and sort coins 5 to 10 times faster than belt machine, literally gobbling them up!

KT hunts 5 boxes a week...religiously. And from that experience can tell you that a 2 week dead streak is not uncommon, but most often KT recovers some bit of silver each week...an exceptional week is 5 or more silvers, mostly 40%er Kens, but also the occasional Franklin, or even a Walker is possible.

What was said about purchasing at one bank and dumping at another is the rule as the tellers get upset if you buy some boxes one day and the next walk in and dump them. KT buys from one branch and dumps at another and generously spreads cookies, brownies and other snacks amongst the tellers...and they are always pleasant and easy to deal with. To the vast majority of them, money is just money, and coins are just a necessary nuisance for them to deal with. Very few tellers are interested in coins, other than counting them correctly!

There are folks in this forum that often hunt dimes, but they got better eyes than me and more patience with handling those small coins, but they often have good luck as attested to in some of this threads more recent posts.

But give me BIG Silver! HA HA Best of luck to you in 2016 should you decide to pick up this activity as a hobby.

Establish a good relationship with your bank.
I was killing the silver dimes, enough so that I quit halves!

If your bank doesn't have a coin counter you may have to look around for one that does, I think most credit unions have them and they usually only need $25 to open an account. I'm not sure if there are any that let you use the counter with no fee if your not a customer.

Back
Top Bottom