Banks cracking down

Arisaka

Elite Member
I have not coin roll hunted in about a year because banks refusing. This was such a great hobby for me I'd crack a box in a day and be ready for another one something I truly loved and enjoyed doing. Well Bank of America the one I've gotten so many boxes from was always nice always asked how I did and didn't question me all day. Then I go in and they say the manager is cracking down and did it for a while then it got really bad. I asked for a box of pennies and she's like "you're not going to bring them back are you" and was asking if she could do it. Sun trust was never very open to it. One Bank of America I went to treated me like a criminal, I'm 15 polite always say thank you I appreciate it and please. Pretty ridiculous that this hobby that I truly enjoyed is getting shut down one box at a time and soon it will be impossible for me to do. :(

Rule number one of coin roll hunting....NEVER ever return coins to the bank you bought them at...what do you expect them to think? Have 2-3 banks set up. Buy from one dump at another, it is simple. Been doing it for 6-7 yrs now

Rule number one of coin roll hunting....NEVER ever return coins to the bank you bought them at...what do you expect them to think? Have 2-3 banks set up. Buy from one dump at another, it is simple. Been doing it for 6-7 yrs now

Yes I know this but most banks won't take them unless you have an account there I know all the golden rules to coin roll hunting going to give it another try this Christmas.

Yes I know this but most banks won't take them unless you have an account there I know all the golden rules to coin roll hunting going to give it another try this Christmas.

Get another savings account at another bank.Deposit the coins.Then withdraw at a later date using a debit card at the bank.I got 3 bank accounts.Very little money!:laughing:

I did a little CRHing back in 2007, but you have to realize that banks are private businesses which are expected to make a profit. Providing boxes of rolled coins costs them money. It's also a hassle for their employees to lug around heavy boxes. Nowadays the majority of retail transactions (80% plus?) are by credit card or debit cards, and merchants do not need as many coins to make change. So the bottom line is if you have a bank that will sell you boxes of coins, count yourself lucky. Most likely it will only get harder for a non-business person to get boxes, unless you are willing to pay extra for them. It might be easier to buy customer wrapped coins though, until all the banks install coin counting machines. Sorry to be so negative, but that's my opinion.

I did a little CRHing back in 2007, but you have to realize that banks are private businesses which are expected to make a profit. Providing boxes of rolled coins costs them money. It's also a hassle for their employees to lug around heavy boxes. Nowadays the majority of retail transactions (80% plus?) are by credit card or debit cards, and merchants do not need as many coins to make change. So the bottom line is if you have a bank that will sell you boxes of coins, count yourself lucky. Most likely it will only get harder for a non-business person to get boxes, unless you are willing to pay extra for them. It might be easier to buy customer wrapped coins though, until all the banks install coin counting machines. Sorry to be so negative, but that's my opinion.
I didn't take it as negativity you're absolutely right. Just sucks. :(

A good friend of mine is a bank manager. She said they despise Coin roll hunters. It's a lot of extra work on the banks behalf that interferes with daily business.

A good friend of mine is a bank manager. She said they despise Coin roll hunters. It's a lot of extra work on the banks behalf that interferes with daily business.
I can imagine I think it is quite ridiculous though. Banks are here for us to cash checks get currency, etc no matter what the struggle amount, etc. This is their job especially if you have had business with them for years I would close my account.

I can imagine I think it is quite ridiculous though. Banks are here for us to cash checks get currency, etc no matter what the struggle amount, etc. This is their job especially if you have had business with them for years I would close my account.

Exactly!! It is a BUSINESS, that has many different facets. Every job has aspects that the workers do not like, so the idea of the bank tellers being rude about doing it is ridiculous.

Arisaka, I hate to say it, but age does play a roll in how they treat people. I am no longer a minor by a number of months, but still get the look and am questioned about whether or not I have the right to do anything with my money!:mad: If they know you are below the age they will treat you like a second class client who's business is not as good as others. Just the way it is from my experience.

Exactly!! It is a BUSINESS, that has many different facets. Every job has aspects that the workers do not like, so the idea of the bank tellers being rude about doing it is ridiculous.

Arisaka, I hate to say it, but age does play a roll in how they treat people. I am no longer a minor by a number of months, but still get the look and am questioned about whether or not I have the right to do anything with my money!:mad: If they know you are below the age they will treat you like a second class client who's business is not as good as others. Just the way it is from my experience.

You're defiantly right pretty sad such a great hobby will be gone in a matter of years.

Just recently when I need a little cash to spend instead of going to ATM I just get rolls of halfs. (At the bank) I think the first ones I got ($60 worth) had already been hunted locally as the teller mentioned "Oh, I just had someone bring a bunch in" They looked freshly and loosely wrapped. Anyway I get 40 to 80 dollars at a time, keep them in my truck and use them to purchase everyday items usually 10 bucks or less. No silver luck so far but I figure the more coins that pass through my hands eventually there may be something more than face value. Also, I don't have to bring a bunch of coins back for the bank to deal with. For all the extra fees they have been charging on loans/renewals/transactions and business stuff I probably shouldn't feel bad about just dumping a bunch on them.

My sister works at a bank so I don't even have to get off the couch. I take money out of my ATM when I grocery shop, give it to her, a week later I get coins, and then I just make large coin deposits back into the back where I withdrew the money. They probably hate me but I would be happy to close my account if it's a problem for them.

Have a couple cashiers at local business I visit saving them for me now. No silver yet, but it's awful nice of them to put them aside until I come in.

Back
Top Bottom