At it again at the pawn shop

Jhkramer

Elite Member
Today i picked up a 1 gram credit suisse with bezel and a 2008 presidential coin proof set. Paid 30$ for it all. dont know how well i did on the proof set but the gold in the bar should be worth a little over 50$. i may of done even better if the bezel is also gold. The odd thing is i have been here buying silver coins at least 3 time in the last few weeks and never noticed the bar in the jewelry department.

just wanted to inform you guys to LOOK THOROUGHLY through your local pawn shops, you never know what you might find let alone 4 times in a row!

I hit pawnshops occasionally too. Sometimes I win and most of the time I don't buy! Pawnbrokers are a class act. And sometimes it's hard not to laugh in their face because of their ignorance and lack of business ethics when it comes to their thinking the public in general are dummies. Oh, I forget, 99% of the people that walk into pawnshops are dummies. Never mind. Present company excluded.

you did good,at fridays close gold was a tad over 51.00 for that 1 gram bar.

Ive looked a few times but anything I have seen is used junk and not worth what they are charging. The ones here charge more than spot for any coins or gold so I dont even bother looking at that. Tried tools but again, overpriced for used crap.

Nice to see someone got a good deal though, congrats on the bar!

Ive looked a few times but anything I have seen is used junk and not worth what they are charging. The ones here charge more than spot for any coins or gold so I dont even bother looking at that. Tried tools but again, overpriced for used crap.

Nice to see someone got a good deal though, congrats on the bar!

the price they put on things isn't what they always expect to get. the pawn shop i go to is always willing to deal with me. if im not mistaken, all pawn shops except haggling. I usually start by asking them what they REALLY want for it? then i usually offer them about half their listed price. Sometimes they take the offer! other times you have to work up a little. the bar was priced at $49.99 and the proof set was unmarked but i offered him $30 for both.

there are other things ive noticed that help you get a good deal.
-Buying more than one item at once then negotiating a price for all.
-going there frequently to the point they recognize you, they (like most businesses) like happy repeat customers.
-Go for items that have been on the shelf for a long time. pawn shops like to keep inventory moving. And putting stagnant inventory with a bulk deal can only help you. (if you want/need the item)

I am pretty good at math and can crunch numbers in my head fast so i knew pretty close to the value of the bar. this allowed me to get a price that i was not going to exceed in my head. And it is important to set a price and not exceed it or you may get taken for a ride you later regret.

(Remembers the pawn shop that tried to convince me that the Prizm 2 they had on display was worth the $199 they were asking) :lol:

I have no experience with pawn shops, but watching "Pawn Stars" I notice many people will state in the interview outside before the haggling begins that they want to get $1000 for their item. Then inside the shop when Rick asks what they want for the item, they say "$1000", and he of course makes a low ball offer. Come on people, if you want $1000, start out asking at least $2000. You might end up with a little more in the end.

Back
Top Bottom