Reale?

61Cadillac

Elite Member
Hey all,
Lost my password a while back and haven't been posting because if it. I am going through my finds from the last few months and I came across this one again. I'm not sure what to make of it. Silver disc, totally smooth, exact size as a dime but the edges are not reeded. I swear I can see a bust in the tarnish once in a while but it's like one of those goofy prints, when I try to see it I can't, but when I glance I think I can. I've found lots of old coins at this site, many large cents and seated silver. I almost think this could be a 1/2 Reale but I can't be sure. Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• Reale.jpg
    Reale.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 452
Definitely looks old enough to be a Reale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

'61, measure the O.D. with something like a vernier caliper.

Get a good number and compare it to healthy coins of silver near it's size. They get worn and thin, but the diameter often doesn't wear too much.

Definitely toasted, I found one similar a couple seasons back. I finally convinced myself it was a seated. A pic of both sides may help. That merc is Purdy though :yes:

This may sound wild and detrimental but TRUST ME it works. If you have some silver jewelry testing acid, pour that on there and let it sit for about 30-40 solid seconds (its going to smell bad and fizz a little but that means its working) and then wipe it off and run it under some water while very gently rubbing on it and presto!!!! you'll be able to see what your coin is. I would never have thought it would work but thats how I discovered I had found an 1856O Seated dime and didn't know it. It works so well you'd be amazed.

Silver testing acid ordered from Amazon. I will do the acid test and post the results with photos.

My gut feeling, it's a Seated Dime or Canadian Dime. Kinda figured I was just seeing things thinking it might be a Reale.

This may sound wild and detrimental but TRUST ME it works. If you have some silver jewelry testing acid, pour that on there and let it sit for about 30-40 solid seconds (its going to smell bad and fizz a little but that means its working) and then wipe it off and run it under some water while very gently rubbing on it and presto!!!! you'll be able to see what your coin is. I would never have thought it would work but thats how I discovered I had found an 1856O Seated dime and didn't know it. It works so well you'd be amazed.
Good tip! Thanks for sharing!

Survey says.....

After giving the acid treatment it is an 1875-S Seated Dime.

Attachments

• 1875 dime.jpg
    1875 dime.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 155
  • done back.jpg
    done back.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 162
  • done front.jpg
    done front.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 166
Back
Top Bottom