• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New detector gets coins 18"-24"

George (MN)

Elite Member
Have any of you heard of anyone that can extract coins this deep in manicured grass of city parks or public schoolyards, without serious damage? Guessing prohibited and also would apply to county fairgrounds?

A Chinese detector detects a quarter at 10" for $115.98 shipped.

So, should we pay American mfrs. $400+ for 10" deep detectors or just let them go out of business? I assume no mfrs would pay our bail to get out of jail if we did slight damage? So, again, do we all just get $75 detectors & let American mfrs go out of business?

If a detector indicates probable silver coin at 18", do we just let a possible $100+ coin stay in the ground?

If my new detector gets coins 18"-24" deep, should I assume only possible detecting areas are beaches & farms with permission? Thanks!

George, can you please hone down your question ? No self-respecting *real* md'r here in the USA is buying $100 chinese machines. Look around at hardcore md'rs here in the USA, and you ONLY see name-brand respectable machines. Not the cheapie chinese that you fear are hurting USA brands. The hardcore guys here invariably swing Fisher, Tek, minelab, whites, Tesoro, etc... So I'm having trouble figuring out what you are talking about.

And no machine is going to get coins at 18" to 24" deep. So I don't understand the 2nd part of your post either. Unless you meant some super sophisticated minelab nugget machine ? Then sure: coins at 18" to 24" no problem. Take that out to the nearest normal city park, and ..... I think you'll be in for a rude awakening. Every single staple and birdshot and fleck will 'ring the bells of notre dame'. Hence, no, coin, relic, and jewelry hunters are not using those. Despite their crazy deep depth. It's simply two different arenas of machine purpose and function.

The Chinese detectors I'm referring to are the Wildgames Innovations Ground EFX series. MX60 says it detects quarters to 10" (air test?) price $115.98. I wonder what American detector cam improve on that for twice the price? They also have a MX100E that detects quarters to 10" that also remembers up to 8 GPS locations for when you want to go back to a good site you didn't finish. Price $141.97 shipped.

The detector I'm getting is a gold nugget finder. In the video they freshly planted a coin at around 18"-19". It gave off a weak but repeatable beep. Foil is at the mid-point on disc, so not sure what max disc is like. Sure hope it can at least partially reject pulltabs. If it doesn't reject tabs at all, I'd only use it at very old sites and dig only weak signals. If that still doesn't work out, I figure I should be able to sell it to someone in an area that has gold nuggets.

The detector is the Detech EDS Reacher with 12x12 coil. Max depth 24" on single coin. It has choice of high or low tone. Markings on the disc & sens controls for nugget, relic, & coin. They recommend midway sensitivity for nuggets, higher for relic & coin. The detector operates at 28 kHz. There is a ground tracking switch that offers neutral ground tracking, or positive offset ground tracking. There's a few videos on You Tube.

The new $1K Detech Relic Striker at 4.5 kHz with 18x15 coil got the 18"+ coin stronger.

I don't really know anything about these detectors but I would be highly skeptical of the depth claims , even videos can be faked or seem to be one thing when they are really something else. There have been Chinese detectors sold with the claim of being able to reach 4 feet of depth :laughing:

As for the actual detector you are wanting to get , .....ground tracking and minimal discrimination can only do so much. There is a reason those ones aren't used very much , if they were the answer to super deep coins around old homesteads then everyone would be using them. I cant confirm or deny anything said or claimed about that detector , just saying be careful.

I'd want to buy American no matter what the claim was. But that's just me. [emoji631]

Yep, I try. Every detector I've owned prior to my Deus was US made. I was hoping the ATMax was going to be a 2 pound machine. If it had been I would have traded in the Deus. Until a US manufacturer matches the compactness, lightweight and performance of the Deus I'm stuck with my French machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The biggest problem between cheap and expensive detectors is not the depth, but the recognition of metals. It's discrimination.
And recognition of objects.

And isn't 24" not to much for a coin? From experience i rather think that would be a beer can.
And with a good detector that's easy to determan, were a cheap one wouldn't see the difference.

Have any of you heard of anyone that can extract coins this deep in manicured grass of city parks or public schoolyards, without serious damage?

Up to about 12" without significant damage? Shovel dig. Easy! :cool: Done it 1000's of times, and when i came back afterwards never saw any damage.
Up to about 5"? No damage at all. Even nothing to see 3 sec after having find above ground.

George, any nugget machine that touts to have "iron reject" is when the "devil is in the details". Those reject circuits only work on the top 4 or 5". Anything beyond that sounds the same. Or if they tout to have "high or low" tones , I would be skeptical if they can be used for coin-hunting. Where perhaps the md'r wishes to pass iron. Or where he wants to tell high vs low (to pass foil in junky parks).

Trust me: If there were a way to get coins to those depths WHILE passing iron, and retaining a semblance of high vs low, then everyone would be doing it. And you might *try* think you'll go to parks and simply dig the whispers, etc... But you'll be in for a big surprise when you try to take a nugget machine there.

I tried using a Minelab high-powered nugget machine once, when helping the police search for a bullet in a murder case. An md'ing friend had brought it along for kicks & giggles (so that 'no stone would be left unturned in our effort to help the police'). And I WAS SHOCKED at how much junk is in the ground at any random spot. We were hunting a spot next to a garage and carport at a 1950s home. And it was like the bells of notre dame were going off like a machine gun. Teensy little wire snippets, flecks of rust, etc... Despite that fact that, yes, you can hit a coin 20" deep, there is just no way in heck you're going to take that to a relicky or park type hunt.

Another example is the Fisher 1266X . With their 10" coil, I have no doubt you can get a quarter to perhaps 18" deep ! But the devil is in the details: a) Everything beyond 6" begins to sound the same (false positives on nails). And b) hits a brick-wall in mineralized soil. And mind you: That's NOT a "nugget machine". It's not a beach pulse. It's a coin-relic machine. Yet as you can see: The ability to work as a coin machine in some environs might cause you to go psycho.

Yet I'm sure in a youtube video airtest, it *might* seem that the user would have full disc. to the full depth of that 18" deep quarter, right ? It's all in how the video is done. Eg.: Is the nail straight or bent ? Is the nail being waved closer to the coil or at the same depth as the coin-being-waved ? Will the machine behave the same in the ground ? blah blah blah

Another example is the Fisher 1266X . With their 10" coil, I have no doubt you can get a quarter to perhaps 18" deep ! But the devil is in the details: a) Everything beyond 6" begins to sound the same (false positives on nails). And b) hits a brick-wall in mineralized soil.
The ability to work as a coin machine in some environs might cause you to go psycho.
I follow you on your hole story, but not on this part.

I myself have a fisher with 8" coil an i've picked up many 3-4grams coins up to 14 inch still discriminating.
I even dug up these coins at 12-14 inch with above it a thumb thick piece of iron (within a 10x10cm hole, so i may say the iron was above it).
And if i reject iron on it, i will not see any iron but still it sees all the non-ferrous.

So the beyond 6 inch and falsings on iron statements aren't correct.

George,

My US made Whites TM808 can air test a Jeep at 16 feet, so I've been told...but I've not yet personally found one at that depth. I did find a 55 gallon drum 4' deep once, but after 3 hours of Lescheing, I decided to have a beverage just to prove I have my priorities right. And, to add to it's list of attributes, the 808 will ignore those pesky surface silvers and shallow zincs that cause unnecessary efforts like cleaning and spending. The moral of the story here is that depth ain't all it's advertised to be even if it is.

Also, as you know, these guys here are extremely knowledgeable and are very cheap to boot, so you know they would spend as little as possible to retrieve the most valuable deep targets. Trust what they're saying...just ask 'em, trust me.

I need to edit to add that I'm not sure what the question was...but again, I've got my priorities right on this Saturday night.

I follow you on your hole story, but not on this part.

I myself have a fisher with 8" coil an i've picked up many 3-4grams coins up to 14 inch still discriminating.
I even dug up these coins at 12-14 inch with above it a thumb thick piece of iron (within a 10x10cm hole, so i may say the iron was above it).
And if i reject iron on it, i will not see any iron but still it sees all the non-ferrous.

So the beyond 6 inch and falsings on iron statements aren't correct.

beest, well I'll even one-up you on your story: I too know a location where the 1266 excels: A white dry sand beach near us. I know a guy who was using it and finding coins over a foot deep (when used in conjunction with the 10" coil). And you're right: He was not befuddled with nails (not many anyhow).

But all I can say is, that this "white dry sand" location (which mimics detecting through air) and your location, must not have much ground minerals. For locations with very inert ground minerals, yes: it can good useful. Some CW hunters love the 1266. But it will not fare so well in moderate to highly mineralized ground. And is not suited for wet salt beaches, etc.....

Also, the ability to "get a beep" off a target is often not what's in question. I took a 1266 to a certain moderate black-soil town near me, where silver coins started at 7" or more in a certain turfed school. I flagged a few deep silver-type signals. And you're right: The 1266 got them effortlessly. The trouble was though, that SO TOO did it get "everything else" effortlessly nearby. With no tell-tale ability to discern a difference. In other words, it seemed I'd "hit a brick wall" at 4 or 5", with ability to tell highs versus low, iron-vs-non-iron, etc....

beest, well I'll even one-up you on your story: I too know a location where the 1266 excels: A white dry sand beach near us. I know a guy who was using it and finding coins over a foot deep (when used in conjunction with the 10" coil). And you're right: He was not befuddled with nails (not many anyhow).

But all I can say is, that this "white dry sand" location (which mimics detecting through air) and your location, must not have much ground minerals. For locations with very inert ground minerals, yes: it can good useful. Some CW hunters love the 1266. But it will not fare so well in moderate to highly mineralized ground. And is not suited for wet salt beaches, etc.....

I hunt black farmers crops and grass land, which is fertilized twice or more a year (much, cause oversupply of manure). That fertilized black ground is highly mineralised, i can tell you that.
And my examples given above here were about that crops land. Not about beach (i hardly ever hunt that).

Crop land ? Where you're in a relic mindset "dig all" scenario ? Sure, then the 1266 is good.

No way. Digging good signals only.
Btw, i'm not talking about 1266 specially, but i have it's sister fisher.
The one i use for it's great discrimination and dept, cause for 'dig all' i have another and better detector.

Watched the video i send you? Where you can see that i only dig good + signals and i predict the deeper coin find by the detectors id?

Back
Top Bottom