My thoughts on the CTX 3030 after 50 hours...

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
attachment.php

So I've been using the CTX pretty heavily for a few weeks now. I probably have around 50 hours on the machine at this point. It may seem a little early to post a review but honestly, coming from an E-Trac you don't need to be a rocket scientist to use the CTX. Matter of fact, coming from an E-Trac makes learning this detector a piece of cake IMHO. I'm already every bit as comfortable using the CTX as I was with my E-Trac. The language they speak really is very similar.

I'll break this down into specifics and give my thoughts on each.

Ergonomics: I'd have to agree with what most others have already said concerning weight and balance. Upon picking up the CTX for the first time it felt a bit heavier than my E-Trac.... but when I slipped my arm through the cuff and started swinging, it actually felt much more balanced, which in turn makes it feel lighter. I am able to swing it for several hours without any major fatigue. This is with the stock coil. I imagine the larger 17" coil would be a different story.

I really like the straight shaft too. I've noticed that the improved balance of the straight shaft with the battery situated under your elbow allows you to extend the coil out much further without feeling fatigue. This means covering more ground per swing!

Another nice improvement is the OEM arm cuff. The one that comes on the E-Trac is garbage IMHO. Immediately replaced it with a Jeff Herk cuff. However, the fit and feel of the OEM CTX cuff is much much better. I don't see any need to replace it.

The trigger style pinpoint button is outstanding. One of the main things I missed when I moved from a V3i to an E-Trac was the trigger pinpoint, so I'm happy to have it back again. It can be set as momentary - only staying on when you have the button pressed, or locked - one press = on, another press = off. Personally I like it set to momentary.

Display: Another thing I missed when I switched from the V3i to the E-Trac was the color display. CTX fixes this gripe for me as well. I think the V3i's display was still a little easier to see in sunlight. I've found that leaving the backlight on (set at 4) all the time makes viewing the CTX's display in sunlight noticeably better. Doesn't seem to effect battery life too much either.

Battery: Battery life has been really good! I'm able to hunt up to 3 days before needing to recharge, which is a pretty nice improvement over my E-Trac's battery life - about half as much hunting time per charge.

Menu and controls: Like I mentioned before.. if you're familiar with the E-Trac, the CTX's menu shouldn't be very difficult to learn. Some things have moved around, and it does have more features.. but you'll find that you can quickly access the most used settings by holding down the different directional buttons.

The programmable "User" button is a fantastic feature! I LOVE the ability to set the user button so that it switches to my previously used mode... However, when you turn off your detector and turn it back on again, the user button no longer remembers the previous program. It will only work again once you've manually selected another program. The detector stores your last used program in memory and loads it again when you power it back on, so seems like it should be pretty easy to fix it so that the "user" button remembers the previously used program as well.

One other minor gripe: The TID when set to drop down from the top of the screen lags a bit. I could do without the fancy (and slow) drop-down animation in favor of some snappy TID numbers that show up and update instantly with each pass of the target.

Target ID: When I took my CTX out for the first time I was a little thrown off by the numbers of coins reading lower than what I was used to on the E-Trac. Then I realized that the separation modes effected the TID. I was running in Ferrous/Coin which is why the numbers were lower. For those who are used to running Multi-tone CO and High Trash on the E-Trac, selecting 50-CO and High Trash on the CTX will be the equivalent.

To me, the CTX's target ID seems a bit more stable than the E-Trac. What I mean by that is it seems to lock on-to the numbers better without jumping around nearly as much, especially at depth.

Target Trace: Another nice feature that is proving to be very useful. Not only for showing multiple targets under the coil, but Target Trace Pinpoint also makes spotting coin sized objects a little easier since it usually tends to fill in a tight dark circle when you have your coil over a coin. Depending on how you're set up, you can also see where targets that you've discriminated out are hitting on the screen. This is useful for seeing targets that are right on the edge of your discrimination pattern.

Tones: Another thing I'd like to see Minelab "fix" with a software update is to allow shifting the pitch higher in 50CO. On the E-Trac we were able to make silver and high conductors really scream by raising the variability and threshold pitch. With the CTX, you are limited to a maximum of 1200Hz. I would like to have the ability to raise it to 1500Hz or so.

Maybe we'll see these things addressed with a software update, but with Minelab's track record of releasing these updates I won't be holding my breath.

The E-Trac's "Silver Warble": I think the reason we don't hear the same "warble" on the CTX is due to it's more accurate TID. The tones are based on the TID numbers. The "warble" comes from a rapid fluctuation of TID numbers as the coil passes over the target. Like I mentioned before, the CTX seems to have a more stable TID, so with less fluctuation of the numbers you don't get the same warble sound. Make sense? This is just a theory so I could be way off base as far as how it all actually works. Thoughts?

Either way, the things that had me worried the most about switching from the E-Trac to the CTX were the tones and "warble". I've found that it isn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be. Even with the CTX, if I hit a 12-45/46 at 5"+ I can be reasonably sure it will be silver.

Modes: One of my favorite things about the CTX is Combined mode. Its basically like TTF on steroids. The ability to set your FE/CO line where ever you want, and then break up the conductive tones into "bins" is great for hunting in iron. To me, that feature along with the faster recovery speed is almost like having two detectors in one. For fairly clean ground that isn't littered with iron or for cherry picking, I run 50-CO and High Trash with deep on - fast off. For ground that's loaded with iron I like to run Combined and Ferrous Coin with a mostly open screen (fast on, deep off). I like to hear the iron grunting at the lowest possible pitch (75Hz). This combo has been working great! With combined & ferrous/coin I've pulled some good targets out of iron infested areas that I had missed before.

Waterproof: I've read mixed reviews on how well the CTX is water proofed. I'm not much of a water hunter but I'm glad to know that I don't need to run for shelter every time it starts to rain a little. I may try taking the CTX into some shallow streams when it gets really hot in July & August. We'll see. If I do, I'll make d*mn sure the seal is clean and the connections are tight. Mine is the newer version with the updated seal, so that's good to know.

GPS/X Change 2: The X-Change 2 software that came with the detector is great! Super easy to edit, save and load patterns.. and the ability to overlay GPS tracks onto Google Maps is also pretty dang cool. I haven't tinkered with the GPS features too much yet but I plan to.

Depth: In my test bed I really can't tell much difference in depth between the E-Trac and CTX. If the CTX is deeper, its not by much. The CTX's real strength over the E-Trac is hunting in heavy iron (IMHO).

Anyway, there you have it. That's my take on the CTX. I've changed detectors this year as many times as some folks change their socks, but now I think I've finally found the best machine for my needs.

Is it worth upgrading from an E-Trac if you're only concerned about more depth and a big increase in finds? Probably not. But if you're like me and care more about the enjoyment of the hobby than the value of finds vs cost of equipment, then this upgrade might be just the ticket. For me, its not really about the $$$ value of finds. Sure I like finding valuable stuff, but I just enjoy the hobby in general and I don't mind paying for the equipment that makes it even more enjoyable. So all of the other improvements offered with the CTX definitely makes the upgrade worth it to me. As for the E-Trac? Still consider it to be one of the best detectors I've ever used. Armed with an E-Trac you definitely won't be outgunned when hunting with a group of CTX users... unless you're hunting in a bed of iron. CTX definitely has some advantage there.

Again, this is all just my opinion. YMMV.

Here's a YouTube vid of a recent hunt. There's another vid on my channel showing the first time out with the CTX, and I have some more that I need to edit and upload.

Thanks for reading! :cheers:

Attachments

• ctx.jpg
    ctx.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 5,782
What an awesome review Rattlehead -

The way you laid it out made me want to read it - ;)

I am glad you are enjoying the 3030 - thank you;)

Awesome review.
Thanks for taking the time to do it.

There are definitely things I miss about my recently departed CTX but
its good to hear someone saying that the Etrac can hold it's own.

Both great machines in my opinion.

Glad to hear that you blended so quickly with yours :)

I couldn't have said anything better.

Very good accurate review,,,,etrac users interested in CTX-- this review will serve them well.

And folks snagged between buying etrac or CTX-- again this review will help

Kudos to you for taking the time.

Very good review. It mirrors my thought on the CTX. I believe 1 season with the E Trac would definitely set a guy up for a smooth transition to the CTX 3030

Thanks jerr-man. :cheers:

Hoping to get out and put some more hours on it this weekend but this d*mn arthritic knee pain is really slowing me down lately. It's so painful that it almost makes me dread getting a good signal that requires me to get down on my knees. :(

Has the CTX increased your finds over the etrac?

Your write-up is spot on. I wish mine was a bit less chirpy in heavy trash but I really have no complaints (other than no time to use mine).

Has the CTX increased your finds over the etrac?

Your write-up is spot on. I wish mine was a bit less chirpy in heavy trash but I really have no complaints (other than no time to use mine).

Its hard to say. I was doing pretty well with the E-Trac, and I'm still doing pretty well with the CTX. I took the E-Trac behind the V3i and found a ton of stuff it had missed. Hunting the cleaner ground in that same area, the CTX isn't finding much behind the E-Trac. But in the spots with lots of iron the CTX is definitely sniffing out quite a few good targets that the E-Trac had missed.

In a nutshell, I'd say they are equal in fairly clean ground but the CTX will definitely increase finds when hunting in locations littered with iron.

Very nice write up...appreciate you taking the time and sharing!:yes:

Thanks ND. :cheers:

Awesome review! I just ordered a CTX after 3 hunts with an Etrac amped up the fun factor. Can't wait for the truck to drop it off and start swinging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome review! I just ordered a CTX after 3 hunts with an Etrac amped up the fun factor. Can't wait for the truck to drop it off and start swinging.

Thanks Chris! Look forward to hearing how you like the CTX!

I'm still learning my ctx, jumping from the atp so its not an easy jump but when you break it down and dig everything as you learn its doable, not like i have to rush, im not on vacation, i live right beside the gulf so its something i can spend the next year learning....and i have the atp as back up....the ctx does give you a million options but like the atp, soon enough your running through them and xchange should help with the humps and bumps from downloaded settings.

Spot on review
Thanks!

I'm still learning my ctx, jumping from the atp so its not an easy jump but when you break it down and dig everything as you learn its doable, not like i have to rush, im not on vacation, i live right beside the gulf so its something i can spend the next year learning....and i have the atp as back up....the ctx does give you a million options but like the atp, soon enough your running through them and xchange should help with the humps and bumps from downloaded settings.

I can see where the CTX might be a bit of a challenge for those who have never used an FBS machine before. The sounds and target ID are definitely much different than what you'll see on most other detectors. I think I was able to hit the ground running with my first FBS machine (Etrac) due to watching so many YouTube vids on it for years (literally) before I had one of my own. I already had a pretty good understanding of the sights, sounds and settings before I even turned it on for the first time.

Like you said, taking your time and digging everything should do it. I think I'm going to pick up an AT-Pro as a backup detector. Its one of the few machines that I haven't tried yet, and folks seem to be doing very well with them.

Not sure how I missed this one, this is an absolutely fantastic review! Ive been running the CTX for about 3-4 months, and I still havent moved out of the factory preset coin mode. Most of my sites are LOADED with iron, but not knowing what settings to change, or what each setting does makes me stay right where I am settings wise. The sabisch books never really helped me, reviews and posts on this forum have been my go to research spot. You explain things very well and I appreciate you taking the time for the review. Happy hunting out there!

Absolutely awesome review Rattle! I know you've had nice success with the CTX as I and MANY others have. The other FBS units will certainly keep pace with the depth with comparable settings and coils,but the CTX just makes it EASIER for me to tell what is what...and quickly! I've been shooting blanks lately but my time is coming around again,I just need a site that isn't COMPLETELY used up. Sooner or later,those hunted out sites really are hunted out!
I'm so glad I got all the coils and spare rods while I had the cash,I'll never regret it one bit. It is an absolute JOY to swing.
Thanks!!:grin:

Back
Top Bottom