A horrifying horrible Horrific horror. Honest to goodness TERROR.

Skippy SH13

Forum Supporter
Today, I drove across town at lunch to hit a park I usually detect once a month. I pulled out the AT Pro, connected up the Z-Lync heard the beeps and started swinging...

That's the start, now let me preface with the fact that Saturday, I noted it was about 80 degrees outside, but much hotter in my truck, so I decided to remove my metal detector, because the case seemed really hot. Was time for a batter recharge anyway... I keep spares charged, so I pulled the old ones, and tossed in new ones, and as always, before I close the cap on the AT Pro, I turn it on, to be sure I installed the battery case the correct way (I did).

I closed everything up, replaced the Pro Pointer AT 9Volt (also rechargeable), and set them against the toolbox for easy grabbing today, as I walked to the truck to go to work.

So... I get to the park grass, and I'm swinging, and thinking, "What the heck? This place is ALWAYS trashy." There's not a single signal while I'm swinging. Dead silence. I pushed the sensitivity button up and down to test the detector was on (yep), but still nothing. I then tossed my digger on the ground and swiped over it, expecting the familiar blast of BEEEP in my ears.

NOTHING. Dead silence. Horrifyingly horrible silence. At this point I look down to my display and there's NOTHING SHOWING. I push buttons, and I can hear the settings change. I even tilt the screen just enough and I can see the LCD display is barely registering.

My mind vomited on my emotions.

Completely dejected, I continued to inspect, performed a factory reset, swung repeatedly over my digger. NOTHING. NOTHING would bring my AT Pro back!

I walked back to the truck, and on a whim, I pulled out a fresh set of batteries, and tossed them in.

PRESTO! Full functionality. Then it dawned on me. I'll bet I bumped the machine's On button before I went inside, and all night Saturday, and all day Sunday, the machine was ON. Probably was on when I put it into my truck on Monday, but was beyond signal recognition.

Interesting that I could still get a nice signal from the machine for button pushes but not from the coil.

Ah well. The horrible experience turned out not too bad. Was a great day for quarters, cleared $5 in the hour I was out. No rings, but I'll take $5 in quarters over a dead system!

Just to make this searchable for others searching the solution:
AT Pro screen is blank
AT Pro beeps at button but no signal from coil
AT Pro button push beep but no signals
AT Pro screen doesn't show up

Cheers! Skippy

Good that nothing was broken! That's happened to me before too, and that's another reason why you should always bring spare batteries to every hunt! :)

As I was reading this I was thinking to myself "I wonder how good Garrett's customer service is?" because I have an ACE 400 and a Carrot. That reminded me to put a pack of batteries in my bag... Thanks Skippy

Glad to hear all went well in the end! :grin:

That's why I like detectors with a threshold. At least I know the detector is still working and hasn't quit. For the ones I have without one, for some reason my canvas shoes must have some metal in them and I can pass the coil across them and get a reading so I know that they are still working.

Truly horrifying, great story lol

Indeed. I was still bothered by the thought my AT Pro had given up the ghost. Made me realize how much I need to buy a second one, "just in case."

Good that nothing was broken! That's happened to me before too, and that's another reason why you should always bring spare batteries to every hunt! :)

Yep! Spare batteries saved me. Funny thing is, that they were just "in the door holder" I had no idea they were there. Glad they were though!

As I was reading this I was thinking to myself "I wonder how good Garrett's customer service is?" because I have an ACE 400 and a Carrot. That reminded me to put a pack of batteries in my bag... Thanks Skippy

Glad to hear all went well in the end! :grin:

Their customer service is great, but they do get 10 working days. Which, in the summer feels like about 6 years.

That's why I like detectors with a threshold. At least I know the detector is still working and hasn't quit. For the ones I have without one, for some reason my canvas shoes must have some metal in them and I can pass the coil across them and get a reading so I know that they are still working.

I've had batteries die in the field, and the machine just goes nuts. Never ran the batteries down to the point the signal (and screen) simply stopped working. It was a good learning moment.

That story was scarier than Lord of the rings.:shock::D

Especially the part with the Spider.

Huh, I would have figured that in this day and age, most detectors had an auto shutoff.

Why? I'm pretty sure my "case" is dang rare. Most folks know to turn off their equipment, when done. LOL Pinpointers, yes. Main rigs? Probably no need.

I've told this before but one day a guy came up and wanted to talk. We did so for about 10 minutes and I resumed hunting with my IDXpro. I seem to recall it was 20-30 minutes before I realized I was swinging a detector that was still off. True story and one of my "not prouder" moments.

I've told this before but one day a guy came up and wanted to talk. We did so for about 10 minutes and I resumed hunting with my IDXpro. I seem to recall it was 20-30 minutes before I realized I was swinging a detector that was still off. True story and one of my "not prouder" moments.

We've all had those moments. Albeit usually much shorter in duration. LOL

The question I always think, is, "Do I go back and reswing the area I just pretended to detect?"

We've all had those moments. Albeit usually much shorter in duration. LOL

The question I always think, is, "Do I go back and reswing the area I just pretended to detect?"

Yep,I went back. It was in a park where I was using ALOT of disc,and along with being a silent search machine I didn't think too much of it at first being so quite.
I don't recall finding anything the second time around either...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom