CROOKED City Office

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Well folks here is a RANT and a half. As you know I have been in Utah since Nov 23rd. I just got back on Wednesday.

LOTS of mail. And two stickers on my door. Stickers were from the city water department. Something is wrong with my water meter they think and they have to come in the house to check it out. I call them up on Thursday. I tell the lady I was in Utah till Wednesday and that is why I didn't use any water. She insists that they have to come out and check it. I tell her again that I was in Utah from Nov and just got back. She still insists. I ask for a supervisor. I get one and tell her the situation. She tells me to wait. BTW they installed smart meters and they automatically send information to the city office. So she gets back on the line and says everything is working now and I didn't tell the first lady I was in Utah. I told her that I did TWICE.

Anyway, I get my water bill today. Said I used 700 gallons last month. I look at February's bill, also said I used 700 gallons! December and January said I used 5 gallons.

They even have actual meter readings on these bills. A BUNCH of BS.

So do I pay it and see if they give me a credit next month for Feb and Mar, or do I go in and YELL at them for being CROOKS?

I am thinking of paying it and seeing if they adjust BOTH bills next month and if they don't, then make a plan of action.

Anybody have any thoughts? My 5 gallon bills were 44.46 each month, my 700 gallon bills are 82.13 each month.

Not like Michigan is lacking water!

Well, what part of "GONE SINCE NOVEMBER", do they not comprehend ? I would go in and find that supervisor, and have her to explain how you used all that water, when you weren't even there. That's just not right ! :mad:

I would check the house real good and make sure there's no water leak. Turn the meter off, make sure the dial does not turn, then make sure all faucets are off in the house and turn the water on and see if the meter turns. This may tell you if you have a leak somewhere. But I wouldn't pay it until I argued my case to them. Paying the bill is almost like admitting to the crime. Once it's paid, it's harder to get a refund for something you didn't get, than to try to get out of paying for something you didn't get . This is my opinion anyway. Man I'm glad I've been on well water for the last 30 years. Good luck.

I would check the house real good and make sure there's no water leak. Turn the meter off, make sure the dial does not turn, then make sure all faucets are off in the house and turn the water on and see if the meter turns. This may tell you if you have a leak somewhere. But I wouldn't pay it until I argued my case to them. Paying the bill is almost like admitting to the crime. Once it's paid, it's harder to get a refund for something you didn't get, than to try to get out of paying for something you didn't get . This is my opinion anyway. Man I'm glad I've been on well water for the last 30 years. Good luck.

Hey haw dawg, I too, have been on my own well now for 43 years. Yes, there are problems, here and there, but at least, no burracacy to deal with. However, well water or city water, if I had 1410 gallons of water, unaccounted for, I too would be concerned....:shock:

It doesn't leak. They put notices on my door saying they were not getting a reading. DAAA if it isn't being used there will be no reading!

I will go in on Monday and TRY to straighten them out.

Don't pay it! That is like an admission of guilt, and you'll never see the money again.

I don't trust those new meters either. There have been numerous complaints about "glitches" causing astronomical bills.

They are making the claim of your use while you obviously weren't in the state, so the burden of proof is on them.

Seems like alot of money for water scuba isn't water 70 percent of our planet drill a well

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Hmmm, I know that we have an electronic set up on the water that the truck just drives by and picks up the reading. But I also have a meter down stairs that I can check the reading against. I would think that you should too because how do you check if they're right? The 5 gallon months could be some kind of minimum or just a water heater/forced hot water heater topping itself off. Those 700 are really questionable cause it would be a miracle to use exactly the same amount two months in a row. The closest mine were was 70 gallons, we pay every three months. I wouldn't pay it either, too hard to get back unless you don't mind giving them an interest free loan. Good Luck, we all love our local governments so much.

Seems like I remember an issue I had a while back when something was wrong and our water dept. couldn't account for how much water I used , so they came up with an average based on prior use. Not saying this is what is going on in your case but it looks eerily familiar. Since they control the only option I just went with whatever they said. But in your case you should have used no water or very little water , if you can prove you were out of town all that time it seems like there should be some way to dispute. If you go ahead and pay it you may not see any of that money refunded to you. I would be seriously angry and go all the way to the top official disputing their claim. If you were not there to use the water then what they are trying to do is extortion.

I just went over the bills again. I found out some more information.

Since Dec and Jan bills were 5 gallon (my neighbors son watering my plants)

And them putting notices on my door saying they were not getting a reading. They ESTIMATED my water usage on both 700 gallon bills.

Which is also laughable. I was here all of October. My water usage for that month was 187 gallons. I live ALONE. I highly doubt I have ever used 200 gallons of water a month. I already paid February's bill. I will NOT pay March's bill and I will have it straightened out. I had NO idea they charged me that much in February because I pay it automatically out of my check each month and I always pay more than the bill.

They will hear from me on Monday and put my usage back to 5 gallons or less for Feb and Mar. Or there will be a major problem. I can easily prove I was gone.

I just went over the bills again. I found out some more information.

Since Dec and Jan bills were 5 gallon (my neighbors son watering my plants)

And them putting notices on my door saying they were not getting a reading. They ESTIMATED my water usage on both 700 gallon bills.

Which is also laughable. I was here all of October. My water usage for that month was 187 gallons. I live ALONE. I highly doubt I have ever used 200 gallons of water a month. I already paid February's bill. I will NOT pay March's bill and I will have it straightened out. I had NO idea they charged me that much in February because I pay it automatically out of my check each month and I always pay more than the bill.

They will hear from me on Monday and put my usage back to 5 gallons or less for Feb and Mar. Or there will be a major problem. I can easily prove I was gone.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out. I don't think you'll have a problem. It's just the hassle of the situation. You said they had meter readings that backed up their claim ? Have you checked the readings ?

You don't have to prove anything to anyone! Pay the estimated bill and now you have to make sure you are reimbursed. Why would you put that on yourself ? Stand up to them and you'll find they're all bluster.

Good luck, let us know how it comes out. I don't think you'll have a problem. It's just the hassle of the situation. You said they had meter readings that backed up their claim ? Have you checked the readings ?

THAT is the strange part. They put Previous read 11050 Current Read 11750 and TYPE E or ESTIMATED. I didn't see that E. And I can't check my meter.

How can they justify an estimated usage of 700 gallons when I use less than half that. STRANGE ALSO.

Since they put a wireless reader on the outside of the house, I turned my meter around on the inside so it would take up less space so I could finish my basement. The face is facing the wall. I will probably have to turn off the water and re-plumb it so it is in a different spot and I will be able to read it because of this.

I had a problem with my power company a while back, my power bill would average around 50 bucks a month, I got a 117 dollar a month bill back in early winter. I flipped out. I went in and complained, they tried to tell me me it was because of the cold weather. I told them to look at my history of usage over the past 10 years and show me where I had a bill that high. Especially when I do not have electric heat or air conditioning in the summers. I think I might have had a faulty water heater at the time, I downgraded to a smaller heater . The following month I was back to normal . Wether it was the heater or their adjustments, I'll never know. I just about told them to pull the meter , I was pissed. I came real close to putting in my own solar system, which I've been thinking about anyway. It wouldn't take much for me to be self sufficient with no more power than I use. I think most of mine is my monthly minimum of just being hooked up. I hate being reliant , or dependent on someone else. I think I'll try and make time for a summertime project of trying to generate my own power. I've thought of putting a small solar system, while also using a wind operated charging system for the times when the wind blows, plus I have access to a running creek I thought I could make a paddle wheel generator, plus a few other ideas. Oh well, getting a little long winded here, rambling on. Fight on Scuba, don't give in.

I don't understand how anyone could live on 187 gallons of water a month. My wife and I use 2,000 to 3,000 gallons a month. Maybe we get dirtier than anyone else and have to wash clothes more often? In the summer months when we have to water the garden we may use 5,000 gallons a month.

This is exactly the kind of thing that is pushing me closer and closer into an RV! Or renting even...

I should have my house on the market by Friday, thats why I've been so busy getting it ready...The realtor is pretty much sure I will have an offer or two within the week....And Buddy, hallelujia!

I'm just tired of getting all these damn bills all the time that its just too mentally exhausting to fight them anymore or even argue about it...I need to decompress and get some Life back instead of battle after battle, bill after bill as a homeowner....bleeding money out both ends....and not only that, I never want to ever mow the grass, shovel snow, or clean out gutters again unless somebody is PAYING me to do it!:laughing:

Its a fun thought to be able to roll on down the road quick if a place goes sour...

I'm with ya Mud, I'm looking into my options of hittin the road in the mobile home. There's an endless change of scenery out there, plenty of fishin' holes, wet and dry. There's more to life than being a slave to the man.

I don't understand how anyone could live on 187 gallons of water a month. My wife and I use 2,000 to 3,000 gallons a month. Maybe we get dirtier than anyone else and have to wash clothes more often? In the summer months when we have to water the garden we may use 5,000 gallons a month.

I take a shower each day and I wash clothes once a week. I run the dishwasher once a week. I wash my hands and flush the toilet. That is about it. I don't water outside here and take my truck to the car wash. I certainly do not use much water. Your usage seems very high to me. My showers are less than 5 minutes. I just learned to conserve probably.

Back
Top Bottom