Starting to think about first new detector purchase in 25 years, looking for input.

Mr. C

Hello All,
As i try and get back into the hobby I am detecting occasionally, but the more i get back into it, the more I realize I am at a serious disadvantage with my old machine.

Some initial info.

I have only ever used a late 80's/early 90's version whites di pro 6000 with a blue max deep scan 950.

It is extremely heavy compared to the newer models.
It has a pinpoint feature and a VDI that I have always really liked

I almost always am detecting in the dirt and live in New England, so relic hunting,and old homesites are readily available.

Everywhere i go has iron.

Price is a minor issue, since I plan on keeping the next one for the long term and will save to get the best one for me.

I have over 500 hours on whites machines, but am not opposed to learning a new machine

If I had to hunt for one thing for the rest of my days, it would be coins...I love finding old silver and copper.

Wireless headphones are pretty high on the wishlist too, I hate the wired headphones.

I have read many many posts on here over the last few months, but figured maybe i could get some more specific feedback with a post.

Thanks in Advance

Mr.C

If you plan on keeping it for long term a Tesoro with the lifetime warranty would be ideal. They have many options and the Deteknix Wire-free Headphones are great as well. If I can help feel free to pm me and we can talk about it.

Garrett ace series are very good or minelab xterra, the new whites waterproof machine seems like a great detector at a great price. Many options here I wish you luck, and welcome back!

MrC

I can sure relate. Up until 5-6 years ago I ran a 6000 DI which I had for many years. Made alot of nice finds with it but it seemed the guys with the newer units were kicking my butt. I decided a change was in order and started researching. I bought a couple lower price units but they did not seem all that much better than the old Whites. I then bought an AT Pro and started hitting the good stuff in all my "Hunted out" spots. After over 200 hours on the AT Pro I made the jump to the E Trac. This unit netted more silver in the first season than I had found in the previous 3 seasons combined.
I now also run the CTX3030 (Great coin machine) and the XP Deus (best relic machine out there). If you are more into coin hunting I would recommend either the E Trac or CTX. If you prefer relic hunting then the Dues is the way to go in my opinion.
I found the CTX 3030 to be fairly easy to learn and has many great features. The Deus is a bit more complex but has many neat features of its own.
If you care to PM me I can get you to a great dealer who deal in both these units as well as many other brands.

Mr C ~ Sounds like you're writing my Bio. Heh. EXACT same situation. (And location!)

Bought 2 new detectors back in August. Fisher F2 & Teknetics Delta 4K. After using using 2 different Fishers & a Garrett back in the late 80's, early 90's ~ it's like rediscovering the hobby!

Despite the experience I *had* ~ I'm definitely "relearning". I cannot recommend the F2 strongly enough. Not sure what price point you're looking at, but for a $200 machine, it is ridiculous how good it is. I can only speak from MY experience on it, but in a very short time, I've come to LOVE this detector.

Got mine from Kellyco & went with the 2 coil package, which included headphones & a pointer. For $215, it's a hell of a deal. As for the 4K? Well, it's making a trip back to First Texas ~ seems as though it may have some issues, so I can't give much input on it.

Many good thoughts and suggestions here, but why don't you give us a ideal price point and a "no more than" price point, so others can better guide you.

In just a couple post you have gotten suggestions from a 300.00 machine to a 2500.00 list machine. The members have all good points when informing you about the detectors, so it's Important we can try to offer suggestions in price range that works best for your budget.

Mr. C, take a look at the Tesoro line if you want made in USA, light weight (very) and durability. They also carry lifetime warranty for original purchaser, and they're great to deal with.
If you want a coin machine with target ID, try out the DeLeon and Cortes.

I'm not a target ID guy, so I like the Tesoro Outlaw best for coins (of their current line). Superb discrimination, good depth and all the adjustability I want. Besides the opinions you'll get from asking, I recommend actually taking the models that interest you out for a test swing. ^_^

That is a ton of great info. More info requested, so here it is.

I do prefer coin hunting. Mainly public parks and a few old home-sites. There are three cellar holes on my road and I have permission to search one all ready. I am sure my list of places will grow as i get a machine than I can grow into.

If the machine was $500, i could buy it tomorrow. $750 and i would need to wait a couple months. $1200+ and its probably gonna be next spring. My cap would be $1600.

I am willing to save and scrimp to get the machine that's a good fit for my needs.

That is a ton of great info. More info requested, so here it is.

I do prefer coin hunting. Mainly public parks and a few old home-sites. There are three cellar holes on my road and I have permission to search one all ready. I am sure my list of places will grow as i get a machine than I can grow into.

If the machine was $500, i could buy it tomorrow. $750 and i would need to wait a couple months. $1200+ and its probably gonna be next spring. My cap would be $1600.

I am willing to save and scrimp to get the machine that's a good fit for my needs.

$500? A new AT Pro it is! Can't go wrong with that. If you hunt often, especially for clad, it'll pay for itself very quick and help you save up for another detector later if you want to upgrade higher...but even guys here with the very top of the line detectors, keep the AT Pro around because of it's unique abilities.

Although, with high iron concentrations...Deus is a beast, but carries a higher price tag.

Tesoro metal detectors are very good units. I would take a good look at the Deleon if you are a coin shooter. I like coin shooting as well. You will notice a lighter and more pleasant detector in the modern variety than the one you were used to several years ago. It has a preset ground balance plus a screen with several icons to help determine what is beneath the soil.It weighs in at about 3 pounds. It takes 8 AA batteries too. Another option since you kind of like Whites metal detectors would be an MXT or maybe an M6. They too are very good coin shooting machines and feature auto ground balance plus audio tone ID as well. Another item you may want to consider is a pin pointer. They come in real handy and can be had from 80 dollars and up. Keep us posted on what you decide on.

I bought a whites coin master as my first detector found things, but as expected for price range limited, then I bought a AT Pro great detector for the money ran it for 2 years. I have since upgraded to a ctx3030, I have never picked up my AT pro since. The difference is night and day on target ID, pulling good targets out of trashy sites, and balance of machine. Although the ctx weighs more the balance is so good I can hunt with it much longer than I ever could the AT pro with out fatigue. If you want a 500 dollar machine go with the AT pro. But if your not in a rush I would wait and buy a ctx. It takes a bit to learn how to dial it in but awesome machine. I'm not saying its better than anything out there just the best I have used and have been extremely happy with the results. I hunted a cellar hole where I live to death with the AT pro pull a ton of coins and relics out with it. After I bought the ctx I went back and found what I missed before hiding between the iron nails ect. Best of luck with you decision and good luck!

Mr C.

Don't know your budget or your age.

Weight wise,,,Xp Deus is an extremely good detector in iron.
Wireless headset feature too.

They are not cheap.

Deus will work on both coins and relics,,with relics being its strongest suit.

Minelabs,,,like etrac, etc,,,heavy,,,and pricey.
Not the best choice for heavy iron and nail hunting.
Pricey as well.
Good performer on copper and silver coins,,,good ID even at depth.
Uses a different scale though vs the more typical VDI reading.
User has to move slow with coil to be successful,,slower than most other manufacturers detectors.

Makro Racer 2 is a good choice for coins and relics,,,not too heavy.
And not too expensive. Excels in iron and nails also.

Nokta Relic detector,,,relics are its strong suit,,,but can get coins,,,thrives in heavy iron and nails,,,does come with a 2 coil package as standard ( stock and small).
Balances well,,,and not too expensive.

Fisher F75dst unit.
Unit handles EMI very well,,will be quiet a lot of times even at or near max swensivity.
Not overly expensive,,,recommend you get both smaller coil and stock coil though for your sites.

Warrant wise,,Fisher and Deus have 5 year warranties,,,with Deus being transferable.

Never used At Pro,,I hear it is good. ,display is small though,,,would depend on your eyesight,,is waterproof though.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Buying from a forum sponsor is usually my advise but you may want to look up local metal detector shops in your area so you can try them out in person. Even if it's a bit of a drive.

Mr C.

Don't know your budget or your age.

Weight wise,,,Xp Deus is an extremely good detector in iron.
Wireless headset feature too.

They are not cheap.

Deus will work on both coins and relics,,with relics being its strongest suit.

Minelabs,,,like etrac, etc,,,heavy,,,and pricey.
Not the best choice for heavy iron and nail hunting.
Pricey as well.
Good performer on copper and silver coins,,,good ID even at depth.
Uses a different scale though vs the more typical VDI reading.
User has to move slow with coil to be successful,,slower than most other manufacturers detectors.

Makro Racer 2 is a good choice for coins and relics,,,not too heavy.
And not too expensive. Excels in iron and nails also.

Nokta Relic detector,,,relics are its strong suit,,,but can get coins,,,thrives in heavy iron and nails,,,does come with a 2 coil package as standard ( stock and small).
Balances well,,,and not too expensive.

Fisher F75dst unit.
Unit handles EMI very well,,will be quiet a lot of times even at or near max swensivity.
Not overly expensive,,,recommend you get both smaller coil and stock coil though for your sites.

Warrant wise,,Fisher and Deus have 5 year warranties,,,with Deus being transferable.

Never used At Pro,,I hear it is good. ,display is small though,,,would depend on your eyesight,,is waterproof though.

Good luck whatever you decide.

great breakdwon. Thanks

Thanks everyone for all the great input. It gives me a lot of things t consider and research. I still welcome peoples feedback, in case others want to chime in

Back
Top Bottom