Need advice on a pinpointer please

mongo1969

Hello all... I have begun my MD recently and do not have a pin pointer. I have been digging and rechecking my detector, digging some more, check my detector, this can go on for 10 15 minutes... Recently as I passed this Chinese fellow, I was heading down he was heading up, I realized I need to get a pin pointer. Or just update my passport...Anyway I have been reading some reviews on a bounty hunter for 39.99 or 49.99 and the reviews were bad. Gotta be touching the object you are looking for, the battery cover falls off and breaks. Now I realize there will be some range limitations, but does anyone have some good advice to share on selecting a pin pointer to help a newbie out? Thanks in advance...

I have used the Fisher/BH for about 6 months now and have never had any problems with it. It is reliable, sturdy and does what it was intended to do. Have always found my object within seconds when I use it.

I have had none of the issues that you mentioned.
Once you turn it on and tune it - it is ready to go! It will detect an object 3/4" to 1" away.

The Garrett may be the be all end all with some neat features, but if you don't have the money to buy one, I would suggest getting the Fisher/BH pinpointer.

GL and HH !!

Garrett makes a good one as long as you don't get a lemon. At least Garrett is good about replacing them.

Minelab also has a good one, but they charge more. The good part is that most dealers let you buy them cheaper than list. Just don't be afraid to ask for a discount.

I also have the Fisher F Point and concur that it gets the job done.

Due to all the bad reports I read, I almost gave up on it before even using it. One day, after repeated attempts to locate a target, I pulled out the F Pointer and gave it another try. It worked great and has been an indispensable tool ever since. I get 3/4"-1" on small coin sized objects and 1.5"-2" on larger objects.

I will say that the battery cover is poorly designed (The locking tabs break easily) but I was pleasantly surprised when I contacted Fisher and they sent me a new one free of charge. Ironically, the replacement cover arrived broken. Yep, the same locking tab was busted off but Fisher has another cover on the way.

Is it as good as a Pro-Pointer? I couldn't tell you but I suspect it's not even close.

Will it do the job? Yep!

there's cheap that you have to be within an inch or so then there is the really good ones, Garrett ProPointer, Minelab Profind and Whites new one the TRX should be out any day all of those will be in the $125-150 range but well worth every penny and can detect between 2-3" in the dirt which really helps if you are just off to the side of it or have several targets in a hole

Whites will be releasing the new TRX in about a week, should be a good one but will cost about $150. I have been using the cheap HF unit and can not wait to get the TRX with all of its very cool and useful features.

I also have the Fisher F Point and concur that it gets the job done.

I get 3/4"-1" on small coin sized objects and 1.5"-2" on larger objects.

I will say that the battery cover is poorly designed (The locking tabs break easily) but I was pleasantly surprised when I contacted Fisher and they sent me a new one free of charge.
Is it as good as a Pro-Pointer? I couldn't tell you but I suspect it's not even close.

Will it do the job? Yep!

When the tabs broke on mine I just taped in together with electrical tape - no problem. Never thought of contacting fisher for a replacement !!

I'd suggest the Vibraprobe since it's waterproof and only works off vibration, so none of that irritating beeping.

I am new also....well 6 hunts under my belt. but I bought a Garrett propointer at the end of the 3rd hunt. man am I glad I did. I was digging between 10-20 minutes each target. now I dig about 2 minutes max and that is if it is deep. I have not used any other but I can say the garrett is worth the $127. just my 2 cents worth. but whatever one you chose.....BUY A PINPOINTER!!:cool:

Between us we have a Harbor Freight cheapie, a Fisher that came with my F2, and a Garret pro pointer.

The HF had to be adapted with a switch before we could really use it. Took my husband about 5 minutes to get that mod done. It works, not a lot of range, but very tolerable. For the $8 or so it cost, no complaints!

The Fisher is comparable to the HF for range, is better constructed, and seems pretty reliable. I happen to like the fact that the range is limited... this is why...

The Garrett was expensive, but is amazing by comparison, has great range, maybe too much in some cases, which is why I like the Fisher also. Once in a while when I can't quite narrow in on the exact spot of the target with the Garret, the Fisher takes over and narrows the field for me.

If I had to choose one out of the three and give up the others, the Garrett would win though...

Hope this helps.

The Garrett was expensive, but is amazing by comparison, has great range, maybe too much in some cases, which is why I like the Fisher also. Once in a while when I can't quite narrow in on the exact spot of the target with the Garret, the Fisher takes over and narrows the field for me.

The Minelab Pro Find lets you decrease the sensitivity for times like that.

Love the Garrett but also have the Fisher. Garrett is an an entirely different league but the Fisher will get the job done. Word of advice with it is as soon as you put in batteries tape the cover on or it will fall off repeatedly. Don't know how many times I almost lost that thing.

Hope this helps.

The ProPointer can also be detuned if needed to get in close. Just turn it off and back on close to a piece of metal and you can detune it to that distance. I usually just hold it about an inch or so from by digger when I need to and then it won't go off unless your practically right on top of your target. Works good for those little tiny things buried in the mud.

The Minelab Pro Find lets you decrease the sensitivity for times like that.

The ProPointer can also be detuned if needed to get in close. Just turn it off and back on close to a piece of metal and you can detune it to that distance. I usually just hold it about an inch or so from by digger when I need to and then it won't go off unless your practically right on top of your target. Works good for those little tiny things buried in the mud.

Good info guys, thanks!

Thank you everyone there has been some great feedback. Thanks all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

My detune technique is to move just to the edge of where the pp is indicating my target then power cycle it. That will detune it to the actual target you are hunting.

Just my 2 zincolns worth,

Papa

Wait

The New Whites is coming out, This Month, Earl sponsor flphil will update his thread when they arrive, I have the Garrett ,and pistol probe, the new Whites is a plus with aa option or 9v, as the 9v cost a lot more the last time I shopped , I would like to run aa batteries, Earl

The New Whites is coming out, This Month, Earl sponsor flphil will update his thread when they arrive, I have the Garrett ,and pistol probe, the new Whites is a plus with aa option or 9v, as the 9v cost a lot more the last time I shopped , I would like to run aa batteries, Earl

It would be really nice to have battery options!

Back
Top Bottom