Pin Pointers

MN Shutterbug

I realize the Garrett Pro Pointer is the choice of the veterans, but does anyone have any experience with the Bounty Hunter brand? I see they come in 3 models so I assume the highest priced would be the best. I'd also assume that any of them would be better than the Fisher brand that comes with the detector.

I use the Fisher ProPointer - same as the BountyHunter model.
I find it works very well, pinpoints to within 1/2-1" from metal-if tuned correctly. Have used it for 4 months now and have no complaints.

If tuned correctly? How do you tune it? I'm assuming you have the one that came with your F2.

Yes it is the one that came with the detector.
This is how I tune it - turn the pinpointer on and keep turning the knob clockwise until the sound goes away. now slowly turn it counterclockwise until the sound just comes back on. now you just need to turn the knob slightly clockwise until the sound just goes off. If you have it set correctly you will now be able to detect metal at 1/2-1" away.

This is a lot better than how the directions tell you to use it.
The only drawback to this is you have to do this everytime you turn it on/off. sometimes you may even have to do it again as you are using it - but hey your not in a race so that doesn't matter to me.

By the way I didn't even know that Bounty Hunter had 3 different models of pinpointers - well I guess you learn something new everyday. :D

Amazon shows 3 BH models from $34, $43 and $51.

Thanks for the tip.

Your welcome. it will take a little practice to get it right but when you do it works great. This is why most people think these pinpointers are junk-they just don't take the time to figure them out. I found this out by accident and it works well for me - hope it works for you.

Checked out those pinpointers on Amazon - they all look the same to me except for the case color and price. As far as I know the Bounty Hunter and the Fisher Pinpointer are one and the same - just different name.
If anyone knows any different please let me know.

GL and HH!!!!

I got my BH pinpointer free, with my first detector, QuickDraw II. It works, just found it annoying, going through the calibration process each time you turn it on. Leaving it on the whole time, causes enough batter drain to require frequent tweaking as well. Have considered opening it up, and installing a separate switch.

Bought a HF ($17), much more modification friendly, cheap enough to destroy in the process, and has been working well.

Fell into the hype, bought a Garrett, which 7 months later, became useless. turn it on, just start beeping for no reason, often enough before even getting close to the hole. Customer service is great, painless, unfortunately, they sent another lemon. It's getting near the useless mark, and will need to be sent back. Not much faith in the Garrett brand, got stung twice, by the same bee, doesn't scream quality product. I can accept a faulty production, few slipping out the door, but two in a row?

Anyway, the BH works okay, just got to constantly fiddle with it. The HF performs about the same, casing isn't as strong. Tuning knob and switch are separate, still have to adjust, just less often. HF is half the price of the BH.

I still have mine that came with my quicksilver that my son uses now that I upgraded to the Pro Pointer. Besides having to adjust the knob and bumping it out of place everytime I use it the most annoying problem I had was the battery cover loves to pop off the thing all the time. Nothing a little electrical tape doesn't take care of but still a little annoying. I think Fisher may actually own Bounty Hunter or at least be affiliated with them in someway since when I sent out my QuickSilver to get the headphone jack replaced the Fedex tag that it was returned from was from Fisher Labs.

There is also a way to "supertune" these BH pinpointers, do a search on YouTube for Bountyhunter pinpointer, there is a step by step video. For the price they are a pretty decent pinpointer.

Ebinger (Secon) GPP German Professional Pinpointer V1.4

Hi all, anyone heard about german pinpointers, for example - Ebinger GPP or Secon GPP?

Back
Top Bottom