Fabulous Penny Box

Bell-Two

I do a lot of penny box CRH, it is easier to return pennies and I always loved the Wheat Back Cents anyway. I know I won't get rich but hey there has to be more 1914-D's and 1931-S pennies out there right? ;) Went to the bank to exchange some Brinks boxes of pennies and were told they did not have any but did have some handwrapped rolls they could do. Handwraps are always a mystery, normally they produce less wheats than the Brinks boxes, why who knows? It could be because when handwrapping people may notice an "odd" type of penny and hold it out. Well in this $25.00 of handwraps it was a different story. Two rolls produced 78 wheats and 1 1907 Indian head! the total was 86 wheats and the Indian Head. There were many S mint marks in the group and included a 1943-S steel-zinc penny! My best box ever!

Last year I pulled over 3,000 wheats, 9 Indian Heads, many foriegn coins, over 30 Canadian "Georgies" a lot of dimes, yep even in the Brinks rolls and tokens etc.

Attachments

• IMG_0109b.JPG
    IMG_0109b.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 749
  • IMG_0110b.JPG
    IMG_0110b.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 762
:wow: And that IH is in pretty good shape too!

Whats the reason behond saving all pre 1981 pennies? :?: Is it the composition?

WTG on your finds!!!!

rolls are like a box of chocalate, you never know what you are going to get. Great finds that cost nothing but time.

WTG on your finds!!!!

something about copper content, dont know if its true or not , but i heard someone say that a penny earlier than '81 is worth between 1.5 to 1.8 cent, in melt value, which is illegal to do , anyway is welcome to correct me on this, id really like to know if im wasting my time with this also

pre 82

something about copper content, dont know if its true or not , but i heard someone say that a penny earlier than '81 is worth between 1.5 to 1.8 cent, in melt value, which is illegal to do , anyway is welcome to correct me on this, id really like to know if im wasting my time with this also

Pre 82 have a lot more copper in them. Post 82 pennies are made with zinc. Like silver coins ,the content of the coin will make it worth more in the future.
The weaker the Us dollar gets the more the coins with precious metals will increase in value. Check out a web site called coinflation. Never thought of copper as a precious metal, but it is becoming that way.

WTG on your finds!!!!

Yup, like they said... they have around 95% copper in them and right now copper is on the rise just like silver and gold! It currently costs the US Mint around 1.2 cents per penny to mint the newer zinc pennies. No wonder the national debt continues to rise!! A penny pre 1982 is actually worth about 2.2 cents these days, hence all the penny hoarders... but at this time it is currently illegal to melt down those pennys or ship them outside the US to have them melted... the hope for these hoarders are that the government will lift these regulations and people can double their $$$! Not bad for a penny saved... :biker:

yep, pre 82's are .95 copper & .05 zinc the post 82's are 99.2 % zinc & 0.8% copper soon it'll be hard to find pre 82's in your change with the cost of copper on the rise just like silver & gold. gotta think ahead:yes:

Thanks guys! So I guess I'll be saving all of my pre '82 pennies with the hope that I can double my $$$$ one day! I appreciate the feedback : )

1909 - 1982 Copper Lincoln Cent Value

Pre 82 have a lot more copper in them. Post 82 pennies are made with zinc. Like silver coins ,the content of the coin will make it worth more in the future.
The weaker the Us dollar gets the more the coins with precious metals will increase in value. Check out a web site called coinflation. Never thought of copper as a precious metal, but it is becoming that way.

$0.029

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1909-1982-Lincoln-Cent-Penny-Value.html

If a quarter were worth $.75 you would be roll hunting like crazy!

It is the same think that happened with dime and quarters in the 60's but on a PENNY SCALE.

Anytime I see a 1982 cent I put it in my back pocket. I also save those 2005 bison nickels, and some of the new fangled coins that keep popping up.

Back
Top Bottom