Ouch!

GMD

Im a newbie around here just received my 1st detector for Christmas this year. I was able to put in about 4 hours on my machine yesterday around my yard. I was 12+ inches down and elbow deep trying to figure out what my machine was telling me. I wasnt getting a steady signal, it was jumping all over the place. Anyway, I kept on, digging deeper and deeper. Finally i hit metal. Couldnt tell what it was and I was running my fingers around the edge trying to see if I could pry it loose when all of a sudden I SLICED MY FINGER WIDE OPEN!:oops:OUCH!!!! I ran inside, cleaned out my wound and headed back out the yard with a vengence.:mad: What I finally uncovered was a really old license plate that is so corroded I can barely make out that it appears to be from this state(SC). Basically, the moral of this story is PLEASE, make sure your tetnus shot is up to date, and maybe use gloves too?!!!!!!!!!(thankfully mine is, so no worries, I hope!) Happy hunting all......Gina

Yep those give a nice signal..:lol: A pair of gloves might prevent that in futre hunts..Good luck to you..

ALWAYS wear gloves when dirt fishin'! There could be broken glass attached to the screw cap that you thought was a quarter, or you could be detecting a needle that's coming up as an iffy signal. I don't like to hear stories such as GMD's, but it almost has to come up once in a while in order to keep the rest of us safe. Thanks for the sacrifice GMD, hope it didn't hurt too bad!

I've been wearing gloves since the time I nearly impaled myself with a used hypodermic needle I found in a Tot Lot.. Should have seen the moms' faces when I showed them what I found. They began SCREAMING at their kids to put their shoes on and STOP digging in the dirt...

Party pooper... I know... ;)

I wear gloves all the time. The ones that I wear are skin tight, kevlar re-enforced with a cut rating of four. My last hunt, I found a livestock hypo needle. That just re-enforced the need for gloves.

Sorry that you got cut.

Doug

That sucks, I always wear gloves and boots and I never put my hand in the hole or soil until I see what the object is, even then I usually use my shovel to pick it up. Too many nasty things out there including medical waste.

ALWAYS wear gloves when dirt fishin'! There could be broken glass attached to the screw cap that you thought was a quarter, or you could be detecting a needle that's coming up as an iffy signal. I don't like to hear stories such as GMD's, but it almost has to come up once in a while in order to keep the rest of us safe. Thanks for the sacrifice GMD, hope it didn't hurt too bad!

Good points made there! Never thought about needles, or screw caps on glass bottles.....thats why i joined! So you all could do the thinking for me! LOL Thanks for the warnings! My finger is looking okay today, no major swelling or lock jaw setting in yet! Just a bit sore : (

I've been wearing gloves since the time I nearly impaled myself with a used hypodermic needle I found in a Tot Lot.. Should have seen the moms' faces when I showed them what I found. They began SCREAMING at their kids to put their shoes on and STOP digging in the dirt...

Party pooper... I know... ;)

OK, this one sealed the deal for me.....running out to get a nice pair of heavy duty work gloves on my way home from work today!

Wear Gloves!

But, I don't see how gloves would keep anyone from getting stuck by a needle if someone grabbed onto it, but I'd rather have "some kind" of protection rather than no protection.

I had a nice zinc signal under a root that was on top of the ground. I knew my target was under the root, but I couldn't see it, so I put my pinpointer in the hole and it sounded off, so I reached my hand in there. I found the target which was a fish hook. If I had been digging with my hand, I probably would have been stuck by it, I was in a forest, so how that fish hook got where it was I don't know, but it was there...lol

Not sure how much gloves would help against something like hypodermic needles, I'd imagine you'd still get poked through the glove..But they will help alot with broken glass, rusty metal & razor blades..

Not sure how much gloves would help against something like hypodermic needles, I'd imagine you'd still get poked through the glove..But they will help alot with broken glass, rusty metal & razor blades..

The ones cops use are 80-90% effective at stopping them or so they claim on the site. To me its worth the extra 20 bucks you pay vs. mechanic gloves especially if you hunt sites with trash like that.

OK, this one sealed the deal for me.....running out to get a nice pair of heavy duty work gloves on my way home from work today!
Get you a pair that fit snug on your hands, not the typical loose fitting work glove. Look for a leather or rubber reinforced finger tips and palm. They're more expensive but worth it.

Gloves are probably a good idea, but I second the advice that anyone digging in the dirt should have their tetanus up to date.

Thanks

Thanks,
Ya know , I've read posts about using gloves, and never really gave it much more thought.
Your story somehow hit home.
I feel sorry for your wound , but want to thank you for posting.
Because you made an impression on me , and I believe I will wear gloves now.

Thanks
Dusty

I hear so many stories like this but I just can't detect wearing gloves. I need to feel the dirt. One day I'll slice myself wide open and hopefully learn something but until then I'm keeping my fingers in the ground :D

I think they sell gloves that will protect against items like that, I know a bunch of my buddies who are cops wear them. I think you can buy them online at sites that sell police equipment. http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum4909.php I might pick up a pair of these.

those are awesome :yes: right now i wear machanic glove but like the looks of the police gloves much better, thanks for the link :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom